Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Peter McVerry Trust has 'financial issues'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This story seems to be totally lacking from the mainstream media. Just the odd random article.

Have Prime Time done a piece on it?

Rte investigates?

Doesn't seem to be getting the airtime it deserves.

Post edited by NIMAN on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

The links I have posted are all from The Irish Times. Seems to be the same journalist for each so they must be getting the info from somewhere that other media aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The new secular church is just as bad as the Catholic one.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,741 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fairly sure we already have a mega thread on this?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I remember a clown in one of these threads that went off on anybody daring to suggest that the wonderful Peter McVerry and his trust were anything but the best of the best.

But facts are facts, and whats happening in McVerry and all of these so-called "charities" has been disgraceful for quite some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2024/0606/1453341-internal-files-reveal-breach-of-trust-at-major-housing-charity/

A hell of a lot more dodgy practices ongoing here than I think anyone thought at first.

€350k was transferred to a Company with no commercial relationship to the Trust but to which the outgoing CEO was taking up employment.

Only €430k of €4.73m received from the Caphucin Ctr was actually used for the purpose it was donated for.

Radio silence from the man himself on this as one would expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Why close it down when it seems by the article that rogue CEO was mismanaging funds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭mikep

That's a fairly damning report.

It'll be interesting to see the fallout from the Prime Time episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It absolutely crazy that these ‘charities’ get funded by the taxpayer to house junkies in apartments beside normal people. I’m sorry but if you have addiction issues you should be placed in a shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Doesn't it employ something like 700 people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

A lot of questions to answer - I know good people from financial services backgrounds now retired who wouldn’t darken the door of a charity board - way too much compliance to get caught up in and too much responsibility- and that’s just being a volunteer board member.

Not going to predict or second guess the outcome of this review but we’ve seen very badly run charities too often in Ireland - the current regulations and oversight don’t appear to be working too well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Well past financial accounts a few years ago showed over 70% of the money went on staff related costs. I think they justified it by claiming over 300 people were employed. Wouldn't surprise me if that employed figure has risen to over 700 as the money from government etc hugely increased.

Of course an interesting couple of questions would be what was the nature of that "employment" and what portion of the 70% went to a few at the top.

Whatever happens now they have to be wound up and their services and funding transferred to a proper homeless charity. That could be challenging as while there is no shortage of charities finding a proper one might be harder. Being CEO of a "charity" is a handy little earner for a lot of people and you're nothing in the Dublin 4 social set if you aren't on the boards of a few charities. So there are a huge amount of charities but very very few I'd trust to take on this shitshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Chopper Dave

This is really shocking and I hope it gets the attention it deserves. The Capuchin donation was obviously misused but if I recall this charity was also getting tens of millions from the taxpayer and the amount was increasing significantly year on year. The Govt would do well to audit some of funds it is giving to charities and NGOs before more of these situations arise.

On another note, I always remember when the budget would give households a modest amount back in tax relief or reductions and Peter McVerry was always wheeled on to lecture us on giving tax cuts when there were so many homeless etc. I'm very glad that those households got their €30 or €40 per month and it wasn't funnelled into organisations like this when you see what happened subsequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

This is an issue in the US as well. Most charities spend most of their funding on themselves. The government don’t want to get over involved in these problems due to the risk of harm to people employed by the state and liability if something happens.

The Console charity debacle was what did it for me- I’ve cut back big time on charity donations- leaving the charity subject of this thread aside as it’s still under review so don’t wish to say anything on that charity per se, it does seem though that there are a bunch of people out there running a charity like they own their own business, imposing their authority and getting paid handsomely whilst having their ego stroked - a lot of power and control and way more than if they were an employee in a company- but with no accountability

We’ve see big salaries but then we’ve seen additional expense accounts, spouses employed, very shaky relationships with other companies owned by family members etc etc amongst other things - and that’s before Console and ripping donation envelopes open behind a locked door and pocketing the cash.

I’m sick of it - I’m completely immune to charity muggers, stupid day time advertisements charity appeals on TV or any other type of charity appeals- it appears quite simply that a hell of a lot of our donation money goes on anything other than the target people in need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

"One bad apple"....yeah there is more to come out, it takes more than one person to do the actions listed in that report. Have a look at it's history a lot of issues and bad faith actors involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Fair enough if there is more than one bad apple but why close it down, the people that would impact are the employees that were stealing, the honest employees, and the people who depended on the charity to get by.

So why close it down, why not just get rid of the rotten apples?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AnHonestLiar

The governance issues are glaring. The fact the CEO had the belief that he could operate without consideration for anyone or anything is shocking. The board, the directors have responisbilities in ensuriung good governance is adhered to. To save the charity, they would have to remove the entire board, and then consider replacing the Directors.

That's very unlikely to happen, so I can see the charity being wound down over the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

Does anyone give to these charities anymore? Any charity I donate to is strictly local, with the exception of every once in a while Pieta House.

Admittedly I don't do it often or do it that much (maybe €5/6/7 a month at most), but it's only local for me.

I don't know what it is, but I got the feeling for a long time that with the bigger charities, there's more scam than charity involved. Most people I know couldn't be bothered giving anything to the likes of Concern, McVerry, GOAL and others. They're muggers with a smile and a pen than a scowl and a knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I don't think Pieta has a great financial history either. You might want to Google them before making your next donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Quay_Koncept

Instead of dozens of charities doing similar functions why does the government not have a department or its own organisations it has complete control over to do the work of all these charities, it might even save a money as im sure theres a lot of duplication. Sure the governments funding them mostly in any event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah now be fair.

They are only some of the time defending Peter McVerry Trust.

They also have to defend government, government parties, dept of health, health system, and most especially the new childrens hospital and it does keep them kinda busy.

At this stage one could surmise with some confidence most charities in Ireland and most NGOs are basically jobs for the boys and gals.

And yes, for the usual pedants round here, I did not say all, but there are definitely too many just squandering someone elses money.

I am not allowed discuss …

It’s become a great excuse for the government to do nothing- whether it’s health care homelessness, poverty, hunger, mental health - they’ve outsourced responsibility to charities from their own departments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Says in the OP that he is threadbanned, so you probably shouldn't engage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To the layman 70% on staff costs seems astonishingly high for an organisation also involved in the purchase of property. It is clear the organisation is not for purpose, and there was some shady behaviour going on from at least one CEO. Such conduct does not suggest someone conducting their duties diligently with regard to value for money, when hundreds of thousands of euros are disbursed in a single transaction with no controls, in receipt of no specified services.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It’s simply a large company if it reaches that stage - I refuse to support such badly run monstrosities with my donations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,297 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

As far as I'm concerned this is part of the definition of charity:

Charity is the voluntary provision of assistance to those in need. 

These are NGOs, not charities at this stage.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why does if have to go to a charity / NGO?

Transfer the funding and staff back into the local councils (who have statutory responsibility for delivering homeless services anyway), and cut the charity veneer totally.

And see how well that goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

That has been tried endlessly. The quality of the housing has all too often been horrific. It’s the same experience elsewhere in Europe (except maybe Finland). Housing is by and large provided and managed by housing associations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭riddles

Doras got a million off the state and raised 45k in donations in 2023. Surely a charity should have a ratio target of 90% fund raising 10% state. There are between 450 and 520 Approved housing bodies in Ireland now. The biggest grouping have 40-50k properties- all with CEO’s boards etc each awarding maintenance and building contracts which I’m sure aren’t to which firms etc 6 billion swirling around NGO’s now Cluid - TIglin etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The service level agreement that these organisation the HSE Tusla etc have with those organisations are very business like.

Does anyone really believe the state would do better more efficient better value job?

I wonder how much the fundraising manager at Doras was paid ... probably loss making that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where in all this is the Charity Regulator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭riddles

the CEO a guy called Martin Lannon was on Matt Cooper saying there’s no issue with the number of people coming into the country - the issue is we simply aren’t building houses for everyone that needs one. This is a guy who is entrusted with a million euros of tax payers money! Can’t see in the accounts what his salary is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

Probably not. One thing is clear though, trying to manage/house people with chronic addiction issues is an absolute money pit.

Remember someone lay dead in one of these managed properties for weeks, despite constant complaints from neighbours that it was a drug den.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I worked for one years ago, so saw first hand what goes on. I do not donate to any charity now.

If I want to give away my money now I will put it into the hand of someone I know who needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

One person cannot rip off a charity, It takes a minimum of two, one to defraud and another to countersign. By the time a third person becomes aware and sees what is going on it becomes a free for all and you have a culture of fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And this is replicated right across the board.

Whether it is to do with waste collection(largely privatised), portions of transportation(privatised) the provision of housing people (private landlords via HAP or developers) and indeed many more functions of the state. Indeed I'd argue that they've outsourced the provision of community resources and facilities in a lot of cases to voluntary groups and sporting organisations.

As others have said there are tonnes of charities that do very similar work, you'd have to think there's massive waste at the best of times

It's a complete clusterfcuk in a lot of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Indeed - that's why I said "And see how well that goes!".

But housing associations are just NGOs. Either small scale local "collectives" which have a lot of potential for fraud and other poor behaviour, or large scale operations which are just like any large company.

I worked for one of the large-scale ones for about a year. Hardest job I've had for years - and I was just admin staff. Their housing officers worked incredibly hard, they got the same pay as council staff, but had a lot more expected of them. It's really unfair that the sector is organised that way.

It’s government endorsed collusion is what it is - jobs for the boys and sometimes girls, lots of expense accounts as we’ve seen in RTÉ FFS- the government are stealing money from the public and lining the pockets of the already rich semi retired fcking incompetent business class - let’s stop the charity swindle now - no more donations to ANY charity - let’s see how the government take that

I’ve no doubt tonight’s prime time programme is going to make a lot of charity donators very unhappy

probably begging the government for more funding and greater powers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

there’s 11500 charities in Ireland - how the fck have we come to this? What possible reason do we need this number of charities?

https://www.charitiesregulator.ie/en/information-for-the-public/search-the-register-of-charities

possibly you can download the full list here

https://data.gov.ie/dataset/register-of-charities-in-ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

The self preservation society.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

RTE 1 now.

Because there is a charity for absolutely everything. And so many of the lmcompeting with each other, providing services to similar end users.

And 11,500 CEOs, offices,and other inefficiencies across the board.

A charity for every 435 people in Ireland (based on 5m population).

Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why do people keep giving to charity?

Advertisement