Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mine is clear. I want FF/FG power broken by a significant other party. Whether it be SF, the Soc Dems Labour etc. I have always been open in support of SF for that purpose. Open about the fact I am a republican,
    I don't alter the posts of others to try and win the debate. That's a level of desperation I won't sink to tbh. If you do sink to that level what is the agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Are you saying that buildings were burned in other locations because people weren't kept informed? How do you know this?

Anger, confusion, fear (justified or not) lead to those who want to burn buildings being able to operate in communities.
    That was the part of the vacuum the incompetents in the government and it's relevant dept's left. How many communities do you need to hear say that they were left in the dark and not consulted?
    The rest of the vacuum has led to far right voices getting louder and finding vulnerable ears. That is far more frightening and concerning tbh.

Is it not possible that those who wanted to burn buildings were the ones actually spreading the anger, fear and the confusion? I think you may have the thing backwards here, for your own reasons as usual. In some cases, the blockade of buildings happened after the 'local consultation', which you present the answer to all problems. Politicians like Mattie McGrath, Martin Browne, Michael Healy Rae, Jenifer Murnane O'Connor Verona Murphy etc. have tried to cash in by fomenting the situation. Do they bear any responsibility? What happens when a community disagrees? What happens when 19% of people in a community disagree? Burn 19% of the convent?

In any case, over 100,000 Ukrainian people found refuge in an unprecedented challenge to the state, which the state answered quite well in the circumstances. The number of criminal acts of arson etc. has been tiny when put in that context, so your own 'model' community is not exceptional. Some mistakes made and lessons learned, but its easy to be an expert in hindsight of course. Cudda Wudda Shudda.

Well the people actually responsible will always come out smelling of roses with that kind of an obsequious blind eye.

'Cudda Shudda Wudda,'

Really, is that the level of political debate we have to sink to now?

The government are accountable for their mistakes, not the opposition, not the public - not random posters on internet boards - but, those tasked with doing their jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Im sure people can quickly find the threads in the feedback forum if they want to, what people have been desperate enough to do to "try and win the debate"

Then you throw out accusations and talk about "level of desperation" and talk about agendas?

Why would somebody invent a phrase I never used (I don't think we have experienced 'mass immigration' at any point in all of this, That's the rabble rousing language of the far right and racists IMO) and attach it to my post if they don't have an agenda of some sort?

I have no problems people going to the 'feedback forum' either BTW. I have nothing to hide.

Its a phrase as you know

The real indication that level of debate is pretty low is when you have somebody claiming that the reason for buildings being burned is because locals weren't consulted. There is so much wrong in that claim that it speaks volumes about the intent of is source.

Another one who needs to alter what was said to try get a win.

I didn't say that, I said it was a part of why people felt they had a license to burn buildings. They fed off/felt emboldened by the fear and the anger engendered by the lack of communication and incompetent handling. I even clarified it for you here:

Anger, confusion, fear (justified or not) lead to those who want to burn buildings being able to operate in communities.
    That was the part of the vacuum the incompetents in the government and it's relevant dept's left.

If you cannot debate the actual points made don't invent points made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭standardg60

You left out the bit about 'not consulted'.

Anyone who believes it's all merely a case of consulting the non consulted is either incredibly optimistic or incredibly naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

You wrote ( post no. 4931 ) "The community I live in was recently in the news.. More than 30% of the population (now closer to half) is non native. There are little to no issues with this though, no protests, no buildings burned etc."

I call the 30% to 50% of a population in Ireland now as "non-native" as being "mass immigration", given the same community in the Irish county a few decades ago (probably even a few years ago ) would not have been 30 to 50% "non native".

You say there are little to no issues with such migration. Unless you are one of those who profit from housing the migrants or something, I think most people have an issue with such large scale, unplanned immigration. Anyway that is why I wrote "Yes there are huge issues nationally, and will be more in the future looking at the experience of every other European country eg France Sweden Belgium Germany etc.

Not just housing, government finances, the strain on education, medical care, doctors, lack of tourism spin off in areas where no hotels are currently available for tourists etc. Lots of implications for many people.

Most of your fellow SF supporters disagree with you, so no wonder you are losing support by the day."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,668 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think a big part of supporting SF nowadays is that they have shown themselves to be more incompetent and more corrupt in opposition than the parties actually in power (which takes some doing), they just don't have consequences for the behavior of any of their candidates (and the ones that leave voluntarily then give details on the inner corruption that's happening). McManus supporting russia is an absolute disgrace (to pick one particularly egregious example), O'Neill apologising years after the fact for the funeral attendance another (and shows they are just playing politics for when they admit their failings, again, with 0 consequences)

Which leaves you supporting SF as a republican, which is fine, apart from SF being the least likely to achieve a united Ireland due to their continuing demonstrated inability to work with others.

All while watching their lead evaporate.

It's been a tough 6 months for the online SF krew (the lefties mustn't know what to do with themselves).

It is a part of the reason.

The far right feeds of fear/scaremongering/anger.

The government is in a large part for allowing those conditions exist via incompetency.

I did not use the scaremongering term 'mass immigration'. Full stop.

Stop making stuff up please.

You once again avoided the question. What solutions do you pose? Are you happy to see the far right feed off anger and fear with scaremongering?

You said in your area now close to 50% is "non-native". If you do not call that "mass immigration" I do not know what is.

Francie claims that Monaghan has no issues with immigration protests because the people were consulted and the politicians got involved. I'll leave it there so.

You don't immigrate into a town. You immigrate into a country and we do not have 'mass immigration' into the country.
    This use of scaremongering phrases is far right tactics. We also hear that immigrants are 'flooding' across the border. I live on the border, they aren't, so those using those phrases need to calm down.

So even though you said in your area now close to 50% is "non-native", you do not call that "mass immigration", and you see no problems with such migration.

You and the SF leadership seem to be out of touch with people on the ground. Maybe you think immigrants will vote for SF.

You use your own phrases. I refuse to engage in using the scaremongering phraseology of the far right.

Ireland is not experiencing 'mass immigration'.

And again, I did not say whether or not I see problems, I very clearly said that because work was done by public representatives and the community knows what is happening that there are not the issues there are elsewhere - burning of buildings and protests etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Listened to the MLMD interview on RTE.

God, it was awful.

She had no grasp of the figures, no level of detail if you dig down a tiny amount.

She is great at talking about the big narrative, but when pressed she falls apart.

I don't even think she answered one question put to her, she just went on her usual spiel.

Apparently, she thinks SF can double their vote in the next few months. She is coming across as a bit deluded. I think SF are in shock as to what has happened over the past 12-18 months and they are paralysed by indecision.

• Advertisement

No town in Ireland is 50% 'non-native'. I don't know why people don't call out this blatent bit of misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

The problem they have is they have no answers, since RTE and others have started to pull them up on it, the whole thing is falling to pieces.

At the start they floated in a SF TD and they would waffle on about how terrible everything is and it was "da guberments" fault, then walk out the door with no answers to how to resolve.

Since the interviewers have remembered they actually should ask questions then we get what we have seen in the last 12 months, incoherent nonsense from the party

Then when it all goes wrong they think the best course of action is stick Mary Lou and Pearse onto every show, people are sick of listening to them. It's 5 years of them across all tv programs with the same moan a minute and incoherent nonsense when asked a question.

Even yesterday was watching Dail question, you have Eoin sitting beside Mary Lou as usual, as soon as someone else starts talking he starts shouting. Just rubbish, yet you ask him a direct question and he can't answer it. Five years now of him shouting from behind Mary Lou in the Dail, useless

Ah but Francie lives in Shelbyville, that article is referring to Springfield. You need to learn more about the vast expanses of Monaghan, and how experiences differ depending on whether you were consulted or not.

And remember kids, if you weren't consulted and you take a can of petrol to the local vacant apartment block, its the government's fault.

FTLOJ

As I said, back in 2020, SF were the new shiny toy in the shop window, that people fondled with.

They are no growing tired of it, as its a one-trick pony.

Id like to know what town in Monaghan or near the border is 50% non native.

That is straight out of the Nationalist Party playbook.

Why don't you refer to what I said rather than what Francis invented about what I said?

Mis-information? Would you recognise it if you seen it? I doubt it judging on that performance Mark.

More than 30% of the population (now closer to half) is non native. 

You certainly do need to know what you are talking about. Carrickmacross-Castleblayney are the other side of the county to me.

You will find the figures in this article.

What you are saying is still a lie and misinformation, straight out of the Justin Barrett playbook.

No town in Ireland has 'close to half' of the population as 'non-native'

Either prove your point with some statistics from the CSO or relevant body or walk it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

Have voted SF for most of my life,, But maybe not this time. Just when it looks like it is their time,, They feck things up.

They have let us down over the last few years.

They should have tried to block M.U.P ,,, But SF thought it would be for our own good.

They should have stood up and said something about the rampant immigration we are seeing.

When the latest RTE scandal hit,, They should have stood up and promised to sort it out.

Backing a YES vote in the last referendum, was a big mistake. And then threatening to re-run it because they thought we are too stupid to know what we were voting for was another booboo.

There was no need at all for those R.V.M. we already have recycle bins, SF should never have let this happen.

I'm also starting to see some of that WOKE shite starting to creep into some of their statements.

Advertisement