Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭blowitupref

We have no dead rubbers for round 3 in a few weeks which is a big positive, John Prenty's suggestion with 4 groups of 3 will most certainly have dead rubbers and the provincial winner will have a wait of 4/5 weeks to play their quarter final a help or hindrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Covid meant no attendances at matches in 2020, and the AI Final being played in December. The Final was played in the traditional September in 2021, but there were only 41,500 in Croke Park, and restricted attendances during that year. 2022 was a transitional year into the current format. And attendances could have been boosted by people wanting to see live football again.

"(2022) This year, the championship split into a two-tier system for the first time, with the Tailteann Cup being the second-tier competition for those teams that did not qualify for the tier 1 Sam Maguire Cup competition. To qualify for the Sam Maguire competition, a county team needed to (a) reach their provincial final or (b) finish in Division 1 or 2 (after promotion and relegation were determined in the 2022 National Football League). This system was planned to only be used for the 2022 season, with it moving to exactly sixteen teams continuing in the Sam Maguire competition from 2023 onwards."

2023 is the only direct comparison we have with 2024 to judge attendances. The GAA are able to run many games with few spectators e.g. camogie. I don't think they will be in any way spooked by sparse attendances at some football games.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Westernview

Having 3 teams instead of 4 will make the group more competitive overall and would remove 4 teams that are not up to standard. Dead rubbers may not be so common if teams are evenly matched and the last game would probably still be important. I think that would create more jeoprady with each game becoming more important. The current situation of needing 24 games to eliminate just 4 teams is turning off fans in a big way.

Will the provincial winners have to wait any longer than they currently do? Once they are in the group with 8 teams progressing directly to quarter finals then every team has the same wait or am I missing something? The 3 placed teams would be eliminated and there would be no play offs for quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

There may not be any dead rubbers in round 3 but at what cost? There was little or no jeopardy in the first two rounds of games and crowds reflected that.

A seeded straight knockout last 16 would be miles better than the current format. 2 weeks between every round of games so all teams get a fair crack.

We just have a different view on the current format. Attendances will improve for the knock out stages but it doesn't make sense to me having an unnecessary amount of poorly attending games in the height of Summer (some of them mismatches), sandwiched between a popular competitive league competition and the business end of the championship. A championship competition should be increasing in competitiveness and entertainment levels as it progresses in my view with attendances increasing accordingly.

• Advertisement

We haven't had that since the year 2000. There was real jeopardy in the provinces with no fallback for beaten teams. And then just four teams left at the business end. Everything since is just trying to give more games to losers. And the good teams have to play losers to make it into a competition. Galway were beaten in the Connacht semi final in 2001, but then went on to win the All Ireland. Who would ever have dreamt of that. Or two Munster teams playing in an Ireland Final, or two Ulster teams.

The Qualifiers, the Super 8's, and the Tommy Murphy Cup have been tried since to square the impossible circle. They would have lasted if people were happy, but they are never happy. The League continued on its merry way with no input into the Championship until 2022. That is some advance in thinking, especially as it enables the Tailteann Cup now. At present there is too much short term thinking in reaction to some results and some attendances.

No one is looking to go back to 2000 or recreate it. It clearly wasn't satisfactory when a team could get caught and have only one game after training for months in preparation. We can still have much more jeoprady and meaning to games in a different format to what we have now. It's not one extreme or the other.

I don't agree that is was a big advance to link the league to the championship in 2022. It was a small improvement in rewarding consistency but only a long overdue baby step. I think it's reasonable to question the current format and it's not reactionary as you put it. I would have been happy to see the league divisions incorporated into the championship and replacing the provincials years ago. Until that happens I will continue to debate any changes to the current formats that would bring about any improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

I don't think the majority of players,supporters,pundits,tv companies.....basically anybody is happy with the current system.

If you are happy with it the way it is now then savour it.Itll run next year in the same format and after that will be changed.

If that research is true, it shows a big change from the GPA survey of players at the start of the system. Apart from referees, pundits attract the most disapproval on this forum. So their views can be ignored.

https://www.skysports.com/more-sports/gaelic-football/news/30553/12717316/split-season-favoured-by-87-of-male-intercounty-players-according-to-gpa-survey-in-july

Any change which is just another version of tinkering with what we got this last 25 years, is not going to help. A straight knockout open draw is just about the only thing that hasn't been tried. Or go back to what served well enough for 100 years.

All that survey seems to show is that players are in favour of the split season i.e. finishing the championship earlier than it was for decades. It doesnt reflect whether players perfer the current format or an alternative.

The system of top teams in a league division that I proposed is quite different to what is in place now and it hasn't been tried. Replacing the provincials with it at the height of summer would go well beyond tinkering.

• Advertisement

I think you might be getting the split season mixed up with the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The provincial championships in round robin format could go before league, with provincial winners guaranteed a place in the All-Ireland. The league could follow. The All-Ireland 12 then would be league top 7, 4 provincial winners and previous year's Tailteann winner. Top 4 from league direct to quarter-finals. Next best 4 versus the lower 4 in preliminary quarter-finals. The preliminary quarter-finals can have random draw for home advantage. Top 4 versus preliminary quarter-final winners in the quarter-finals. Top 2 seeds versus lower 2 in the semi-finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Robson99

It's mad to think that a team could lose 3 games in championship and still win All Ireland…just doesn't seem right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭blowitupref

For me I think we shouldn't have group formats at all, knock out qualifiers was far better but we have group format and the change will likely be another group format and IMO dead rubbers is the worst thing about any championship format.

As it stands a provincial winner has two break before the group stage that type of schedule keeps them ticking over. The suggestion is for the provincial winner to avoid the group stage and I'm not sure where 4 to 5 weeks wait will leave a team for All Ireland Quarter final.

You could do that but it would probably reduce the motivation of provincial winners in the division if they are already guaranteed a spot in AI phase. Only playing for position at that stage.

Including tailteann winners is fair enough but would mean top only 3 teams from division 2 would qualify to make it 8 teams.

That's why league divsions would be better than groups. More even contests and the bottom 4 would be competitive to avoid relegation. Dead rubbers minimised.

Dublin and Tyrone had a suggestion many years ago that the provincial winners should meet in a Champions Round. The Champions Round winners into semi-finals and the Champions Round losers playing two qualifiers in the quarter-finals.

The GAA's original preferred plan was for the current Seeds 3 to play Seeds 4 in Round 1. Round 2 then was supposed to be provincial runners-up versus Round 1 winners, Round 2 winners then going to the quarter-finals. The Tailteann then was supposed to have a double elimination format, guaranteeing Tailteann counties at least two games, i.e. Round 2 would have a winners round and losers round.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I think changing format is pointless unless the number of matches are reduced, or more importantly the timeline is stretched out.

It's too expensive to go to every match because in years gone by you'd probably only have 1 match per month, the odd month there'd be 2. Now it's 2 football matches per month, plus you could be at 2 hurling as well in that month. And that's not including the ladies matches.

Tickets for Galway Armagh are 25, for OAP it's 20. Kids are 5. I've been to a few matches now and am going to this one too but when I went to buy them I did feel like they were priced a bit high. I'm looking forward to the day out but probably looking at little change out of 180 euro for the day with food included. That's grand but doing that twice or three times a month is beyond most people.

There's a feeling that I should keep my powder dry for a potential bigger match in Croke Park, maybe that's how a lot of people feel.

Either way the GAA need to give breathing space between matches. It's obviously not possible to keep the current split season , which players apparently want, and keep spectators happy by pushing out the timeline on the championship to reduce the number of matches per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

100%, it has become a lot more expensive going to matches, esp when you know that it's not do or die

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I think they should just do away with the groups. Have your best 16 counties. Seed them someway, I haven't figured out that yet, but if that's not possible then most importantly just have 8 knockout matches, like the qualifiers a few years back. Avoid Croke Park at all costs and pack out provincial grounds. Same with quarter finals, have to be taken out of Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Just on the tickets for the Mayo Dublin game. I could be mistaken, but I think I heard before that if people were to buy the “deal” where you buy tickets for €50 for the three group matches, that if buying the juvenile tickets for the €5, the juveniles had to go on the terrace (standing). Maybe I picked that up wrong.

I didn’t buy the €50 ticket, but I bought tickets there on ticketmaster for the Mayo Dublin match in Roscommon. I also got 2 juvenile tickets for the €5 each.

It didn’t mention anything about any restriction on the juvenile tickets in terms of not being able to go into the stand. It just said “unreserved”. We intend to go in fairly early (maybe 45 mins before throw in), and get seats on the stand side. Doesn’t matter if we are covered by the stand or not, just as long as the kids can see – they won’t be able to see the match if standing in the terraces as they are too young.

I guess my point is – is there a distinction on where the juveniles can go at the match between those that purchased the 3 match bundle, as opposed to buying the tickets now (where there doesn’t seem to be a restriction on where juveniles can go).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

That was me although it appeared to refer to all tickets rather than just juveniles - since it's all GA tickets now, I presume that doesn't apply and anyone can go to any part of the stadium

Its general admission for all tickets so you can get into the stand until they deem it full.

Old school style!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Mirror the hurling championship.

2 groups of 5. Made of Div 1 teams and top 2 from Div 2.

Seeded by league position.

Top 3 in each group qualify. 2nd plays 3rd in QF.

Wont happen, but would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I have seen a fair few comments on about dead rubber games – the Mayo Dublin game was mentioned.

For Mayo, I think this is a huge game - far from a dead rubber game. If Mayo lose against Dublin, they will be out the following week in that 2nd versus 3rd playoff game. If they were to get through that, they will be in a quarter final the following week against the winner of a group. Their player resources won’t allow for any further progression, unless they get extremely lucky with the opposition they are drawn against. I think at max, the quarter final would be the end of the road – like last year.

If, somehow, they could beat Dublin, the outlook is completely different. They have the two week break for players to recover, and then going into a quarterfinal against lesser opposition, and who will probably have battled away for the previous two weekends, picking up a few injuries on the way. Get to a semi-final, and you’d never know what could happen.

Of course, this is all wishful thinking. Hard to see how they could beat Dublin on Sunday week, especially the way Mayo have been playing this year, and without Diarmuid O’Connor and Paddy Durcan.

The lose two games and your out would be an improvement on the current setup.

Round 1A: Seeds 1 at home v Seeds 4

Round 1B: Seeds 2 at home v Seed 3

Round 2A: 1A winners v 1B winners, random draw for home advantage.

Round 2B: 1A losers v 1B losers, random draw for home advantage.

Preliminary Quarter-finals: Round 2A losers at home v Round 2B winners.

Quarter-finals: 2A winners v Pre-QF winners in Croke Park.

This format allows a week off after the league finals. Round 2A winners can have the advantage of a weekend off before the quarter-finals. The 2A losers and 2B winners would be playing for three weekends in a row between Round 2A or 2B, the Pre-QF and QF.

Derry or Westmeath and Roscommon or Cavan will qualify for the knockout stages despite losing three games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I agree.

I think both teams will go flat out for this one.

Id be surprised if it was the customary dead rubber half pace game.

Also Meath if they beat Monaghan will progress with three losses. It's a great format where no county is definitely eliminated going into the final round. Hardly much better than losing three, other teams will progress losing two. Mayo and Armagh if the Seedings hold up, and Louth will be one loss and one draw. The Donegal group is open to all possibilities except Cork getting eliminated (I think).

Last year three of the four third placed teams won their Preliminary QF's. It would be a shame to deny that chance to this years underperformers to date. Maybe Derry will wake up, or even Meath. And hope springs eternal in Roscommon, despite not winning an AI since 1944.

Noone is eliminated but like the hurling league in recent years, without any real jeopardy, crowds will stay away.

In some ways, straight knockout would nearly be better. Seed 3 v Seed 4 in Round 1, the winners v provincial runners-up in Pre-QFs and then onto quarter-finals. The other alternative is the lose two games and you're out mentioned earlier but counties have already lost in the provincial championships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

The main problem the current championship structure has, is a marketing issue. People think the All Ireland Championship started in the beginning of April, when the truth is that the provincial championships are not part of the All Ireland series anymore. No team has lost 3 matches. We are currently in the group phase which is designed to determine the fixtures and seedings for the knockout stage. The jeopardy is in trying to stay alive for the lowest ranked teams, and for the top teams, it's about trying to secure a favorable path through the knockout phase i.e. if Donegal fail to top their group, they will have to play 3 games on back to back weeks and are unlikely to avoid both Kerry and Dublin in the quarter final.

Advertisement