Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2fm - New schedule coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the man slow or what? He wants to buy the station for €10million to what it seems primarily to bring back the "megastars" that are now fully available for work for any radio station and he owns a radio station already that is almost national that they could work for. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bureau2009

At least he's very publically raising issues about 2fm. The fact that it's not working out with poor listenership. The fact that it's not providing a public service (but still getting tax payer, licence payer and advertiser revenue). The fact that it has far more resources than commercial stations.

And he's publically raised these issues with the Minister. (See today's Indo, maybe someone could kindly post a link?)

And I don't think Aifric, Laura or Lottie are going to resolve much, are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭TheBMG

it’s purely a PR stunt and it’s worked beautifully !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭Tow

It will soon go bust if privatised on its own and will not be bought if the figures are properly run. The problem is the staffing levels and associated costs. All the staff will transfer across with under their current terms and conditions under Tupe.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

M

Yes staff costs are massive compared to the competition, I was reading an article in the Irish Times saying Spin 1038 has 1 producer for the entire station, 2FM has multiple producers for individual shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I'd say none of the presenters who actually had talent respect Lottie one bit. She's just the token nepotism staff member who knows she wouldn't last 5 seconds in an ordinary job and is willing to trade all of her self respect and ambition to cling to her surname. Imagine her in a factory job, she would run out crying in less than an hour! That's the subtle message management have been sending to Lottie for years by pushing her to crap gigs and awkward shifts in the hope she would just leave.

At least Jennifer and the 2 Johnny's can hold their head high that they have a varied career with lots of skills whilst Lottie just rots away in the background !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

But she was a contractor til recently. It’s very easy to make contractors leave. You just don’t renew the contract. She moved to permanently staff recently. Again the option was there to let her go at that point.

She’s not your cantankerous aunt Mary who shows up and stays talking til the wee small hours and you hope your subtle hints like yawning and letting the fire go down eventually give her tge message to go. Management doesn’t with that way. You don’t drop single hints in the off chance someone will move on by downgrading their role to the point it’s ridiculous. That’s constructive dismissal. If they wanted rid they just need to invite her to a meeting to inform her she’s being made redundant. That’s all that’s required. By the looks of it they’re satisfied with what she’s doing there.

M

I don't know what clown made the decision to make her permanent, it was during her contracting period she made the Toyota EV ad in the RTÉ car park without permission during the height of the Tubridy storm, proper case for letting someone go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Leslie Inexpensive Swinger

someone still has a hard on for G-Ryan….but the other kids havent been given as much as this one for some odd reason, if i was the other kids, id be looking to sink my claws into a permanent job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭its_steve116

I've always wondered where the station would be now had Ian Dempsey not left to join Today FM back in September 1998.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Shan Doras

15 years ago, back in 2009 (when podcasts smartphones/social media/apps/streaming/YouTube etc etc were still in their infancy) RTE decided that the youth was a lost cause for 2fm and they decided to go older, Dave Fanning returned there from Radio 1 and the chart show was axed. For some reason, RTE later abandoned this plan but we were never told why they went back to chasing the youth. https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2009/0818/418511-fanningd/

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Radio for youth is a lost cause, they just aren't interested in it as a medium. If 2fm wants to continue they should be going for a nostalgia vibe and trying to claw back the older crowd who used to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Shan Doras

Something I can't get my head around is on one hand in radio land RTE is insisting that 2fm is badly needed for the youth, but on the other hand over in TV land, their second television station RTE Two walked off the youth pitch years ago, switch on RTE TV Two around 8pm any day of the week and you'll get something like an episode of BBC's gardeners world or Grand designs from about 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭RINO87

Anyone listened to the replacements yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Chun the Unavoidable

Yes i tuned in yesterday after 5 to have a gawk at the new drive show. Bizarrely the show went off air with no warning at 5.20 to go to the ROI-v-Sweden soccer match live on game on. They were discussing some stuff, played CMAT's new song, then some rather older dance thing then the game on jingle played. Ok, sez I, they have kept the "whats on the show tonight" spot from the 2 johnnies. But, no, it was Game on in full. 🤷

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

Why would they offer her a permie job. Stinks of we are getting rid of contractors so we must give her a job. Probably on same money as she was but now with holidays and entitlements.

Cheaper than letting her go as a 'contractor' and being hit with bad press bills from WRC and Scope. I wonder if they back funded her pension?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Trampas

RTE's problem is most of their Contractors are 'Bogus Self Employments', so are really Employees. At least with the Scope payments it is just taxpayers money recirculating back through the system. The real cost will be the likes of pensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Exactly. She is absolutely useless and has proved she is only there because of her surname despite multiple opportunities to prove herself. She's a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

They might not have had any choice but to keep her on.

Fixed term employees

The Protection of Employees (Fixed Term Work) Act 2003 protects fixed-term employees by ensuring they cannot be treated less favourably than comparable permanent workers, and that employers cannot continually renew fixed term contracts. Under the Act, employees can only work on one or more fixed term contracts for a continuous period of 4 years. After this, the employee is considered to have a contract of indefinite duration (e.g. a permanent contract)

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/employment-rights-and-duties/employment-laws-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Declan Lynch in last Sunday's Sunday Independent argues 2FM should become a sports station similar to Talksport in the UK, and would give room for more music and culture on RTE Radio 1 if its sport coverage was moved over to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There are no rumours - there is an attention seeking media piece from Kevin Brannigan and that's the extent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭DangerMouse27

Thread diverting left and right. I've been listening, more so to form my own opinion. Ye Gods!! I'm a shockin man for having one.

Here's my tuppence on the Lottie and David pairing. (Aifric seems to be knocking it out of the park. Dare I say it, an upgrade on the previous. Doireann was definitely the boss, but there's a looseness now that's refreshing.)

I'd have never had much time for David after his very strong minded contributions to the JZ show. He was always sniping at Jens actual friends, and his opinion was what was the right one, no matter about anybody elses. It was a bad format for him, and that's being fair.

That being said, Lottie is making him look like an absolute star. She's struggling and that's fair to say too. I imagine it's pressure but it's tough. I can't imagine the producers life is easy at the moment. For example. David broke a story today about Gail leaving Coronation Street. He was excited about the news and in fairness, a lot ot people watch it, so it was in his wheelhouse for sure. Lottie proceded to not know who Gail was or have any knowledge of Coronation Street. Eh. Wasn't she the stations Ent Correspondent? Bit embarrassing. I put it down to nerves. David relented from slagging her when she got a bit testy.

The Game on Link, their first, appeared at around half five and David absolutely gave it welly. He could have wilted away as he's quick to acknowledge his lack of sporting knowledge but he ploughed on. Its an important segment for the station as you are hoping to keep some of the listeners from Drive Time. Lottie, quiet for the segment, asked the Game on presenter, not sure of his name, a sort of a question and broke off to tell a leaving cert anecdote, before cutting to music. Seemed rude.

And another, probably unintentionally nasty segment is a piece where they want to give 1000 yoyos away. Seems easy. The text lines are open and in come the listeners voice notes, saying how they need the money, broke down cars, sick tummy, etc. David and Lottie, proceed to kind or drag them for their choices. Almost smirking behind the radio at the tales of woe. It's a really mean spirited radio segment.

They have a final segment, playing music non stop that is near identical to the two Johnnies last slot. At least the lads diddled it up and made it their own. Lottie and David just read requests and play em.

I'll bring it back a bit here for the context. The 2 Johnnies were magical with Aifric. But it wasn't always Aifric. They struggled with Enma Power. Bring in Andriu and let the magic happen for David and Lottie.

It will sharpen up. For sure. She'll settle. He'll definitely progress. Beyond the Summer? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They'd want to invest in some new talent. Game On is awful. Live commentary is decent though

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Is there much messing going on??

From the radio player:

The ultimate messers, Lottie and David are make the nation's commute a lot brighter and happier with great tunes, giveaways and giggles all the way home from 3-6pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Lottie had nerves, after working in a station for 10 years? Should be able to slot into any shift with no issues.

They are trying but it's not very original. The pairing seems forced. From the Stations Goodbye message to the 2 Johnnies, its hard to know what exactly they were hoping to achieve with the pairing of two polar opposites.

There's a great clip floating around of Lottie having to take coffee orders and her annoyance is clear. She's lost a competition..in much the same way as the 2 Johnnies had forfeits.

Won't be listening today. But I'll tune in next week to see if there is any improvement.

She can slot into any shift and has done so. JZ show among others. But whether they are successful, that's another matter.

She can definitely be successful in a pairing and whether you like it or agree, she has a demographic that clearly like her. What's the pairing.. who knows. Chris Greene and her would have been magical. But I'm not sure she'd have survived the banter.

As to the nerves. It's a big slot on any radio station. And pressure would be inherent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭Tork

Can you clarify what you mean by a demographic that clearly likes her?

Advertisement