Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how often would you realistically need to charge publicly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Motor wear? What is that? Do you find yourself reboring cylinders a lot?

Servicing an ICE is based on mileage or time. You can't have an engine for 10yrs and not service it because you've only done 5k.

You're thinking of charging like going to the petrol station. If you going do that just by an ice because you don't get it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭yagan

You'd never have to think about that with a phev.

Most people don't want to think about the permutations of recharging, so a home-charging phev gives them the benefits of EV driving with probably 10% of the trips to the forecourt for longer trips.

I agree with the poster who said it doesn't make any sense without a home charger either. Since you'd be charging it so frequently if you use EV mode the majority of the time. You'd want to be very dedicated. The stats say most people aren't.

As you say I think you'd need to be doing at least 50% of your driving in ICE for it to be worth it.

They'll be thinking about it 90% of the time if they are using EV mode 90% of the time. You can't use a battery you haven't charged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not what I asked, it's an easy enough question, if you think it's 10 or 20 times a year and that worries you unduly I get it, if it's once or twice buying a phev seems mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

As an ICE driver of over 26 years, I've had more than a few instances of worrying about getting to a filling station due to the car running on fumes. On many occasions, I have woken up to my car being almost empty due to my wife thinking that the diesel fairy magically fills the car up at night.

I've been an EV owner for a year and I've never had to worry about where to charge. I top my car up to 80% every night and I have a range between 300km to 350km+ every morning. If I'm doing more than 300km, I charge it to 100%. I've been all over the country and only used public chargers 3 times; each instance was unplanned, hassle-free, and probably unnecessary but ensured no squeaky bum by going to single digits. The only issue is the cost of public charging, hence why I charge at home. I could always invest in a trailer and generator and lug it all over the country to ensure I never have to worry…

If you have home charging then what point are you trying to argue? Is saves time if you simply plug it in when you get home, no need to visit a public charger which may be busy. I agree that buying a Phev without home charging is pointless.

Also buying a Phev isn't anti EV, it's a move towards EV. If we end up with EV chargers in every Lidl and Aldi carpark in the country then I reckon no one will ever say they're nervous about range. When I'm on a long drive as is I'll seek out a lidl or Aldi anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Another ICE car fire on the M1 today. Yet the media would be all over it if it was an EV!

Post edited by Gumbo on

I can say I've had trouble once in 12 months. But that was mostly due to my inexperience and some miss communication with passengers. One passenger disappeared for 30 mins thinking we were charging when we weren't. Which caused us to skip a planned charging stop leaving us tight. On the return journey we went a different route and drove differently meaning we did the same journey without stopping and had 30% left at the end.

Previous time doing the same journey in our ICE it went into limp mode. Start of lots of problems with it.

I've used public chargers about 20 times and most of those was just to test different chargers and make sure the payments worked. I've only hit two with a queue and one not working. Both times there were alternate chargers nearby.

• Advertisement

They you have to think about it.

Most of the Lidl's and Aldi's near have chargers. But mostly AC. Not sure how useful that is for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

ThIs thread just keeps on giving. If someone is happier to own and drive a phev then I for one am happy for him. One step closer to a full EV down the line.

I wonder if this chiding of phev owners could be the new driving a sports car middle age crisis thingy. In fairness us old guys need a break😆

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Where are you getting a nightly recharge if you don't have the ability to charge when you're at home? I don't think anybody wants to seek out a nearby charger every night and then bring the car back. Using a BEV with a weekly public charge is seen as too much of a burden by a lot of people trying to convince them to do the same everyday sounds like a set up for a bad newspaper article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

1. Why is only folks without EVs that are mysteriously worried about "range"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,238 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a bit bizarre alright, and fairly ironic given the thread title.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think people have problems with PHEV owners, I think the objection is to recommending them for people who can't charge at home. The recommendation was made as a response to the article by Conor Pope.

I said it many times on this forum.
    People without EV’s stress more about charging and range than those that actually have an EV.

Where did I say I wouldn't have the ability to charge at home?

Sorry for the confusion it looked like you were saying it suits your need perfectly when I said it's not sensible to pick a PHEV without home charging.

For what it's worth the way I can see it going in our house is the next car get swap out will be the auld diesel probably for a phev. Our petrol is still very new and economical so by the time we think of changing that there'll be a lot more EV options and probably better charging infrastructure.

• Advertisement

Sounds reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭creedp

As I've said before PHEVs will provide a useful stepping stone for many who have some concerns about moving to EVs. Should be encouraged especially when the alternative is another diesel. Friend of mine drove 520Ds for years but was skeptical about the move to EVs last year so instead bought a 330e and is delighted with the electric only drive train. Charged everyday and covers the majority of local driving on electric while still having the peace of mind of the ice backup.

I've no doubt it will be full electric next time around. Success story in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭quokula

Was just out on a grocery run and radio nova was on, don’t know the full context as they were mid conversation when I turned on but they were talking about general environmental stuff, recycling, bee friend gardens etc, then they turned to EVs and immediately the host started blurting out the usual fossil fuel industry talking points - range anxiety, it’s impossible to get from Dublin to Galway in even the longest range EV apparently, hybrids are better for the environment, Toyota’s hydrogen cars are just around the corner, hydrogenated vegetable oil has none of the disadvantages of EVs so that’s also a better option. It’s utterly depressing.

Range anxiety is real, and was always a consideration before general media enthusiasm for EVs switched to hysteria.

Another consideration is simply having to deal with wasters who'll treat charging bays as long term parking. The early adaptors generally wouldn't be so inconsiderate, just like in the early days of the internet when most users were super helpful.

There's a two pump shop near me that I generally avoid because seanie will be discussing who's dead now with Maura in the shop while a queue forms out onto the road.

it’s sickening.
    It’s almost as if there’s an agenda in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Toyota’s hydrogen cars are just around the corner…

I worked for a large Toyota dealership many many moons ago and they had just launched the prototype hydrogen vehicle. Hydrogen was just around the corner back then. In 10 years, it will still be just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭electricus

They’re burning it now

This vehicle is not some new-fangled electric car – it is a Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine Vehicle (HICEV).

https://pressroom.toyota.com/the-familiarity-of-sound-sensation-without-all-of-the-carbon-toyota-refines-its-hydrogen-engine-corolla-concept/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭micks_address

I can see hydrogen being an option for large good vehicles.. but can't see it taking off with cars… hvo is an interesting one though.. seems like a silver bullet solution.. how much pollution comes out of an exhaust running it?

Much less pollution with HVO. But there so many other issues with HVO it's not considered a viable replacement for all ICE fuels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Where are the holes in my story? Care to explain your comment in greater detail?

Advertisement