Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

No as it works in a power cut, in any case you wouldn't need 5A to get it going. What's the relevance exactly?

I think you're getting confused, the story never changed. Today there are many more DC fast chargers in that area, as there is in most of the country, but he bought in 2021.

At the time the car was cheaper than the EV equivalent, the running costs were slightly higher but there were no worries about range anxiety, charging availability or refilling times.

As previously stated it's a mobile home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

With a PHEV he'd have to find a charger maybe 8? times as often as with a BEV. Seems like a lose lose for him to have a PHEV to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

No, he wouldn't have to find a charger at all. What he'd do is that he'd plug in and charge when only it was convenient - topping up while shopping in lidl for example, or using the chargers at his destination in westport for his local holiday driving.

With an EV only and no home charging, he has to find time to frequently plug into inconvenient and expensive public chargers to have the capacity to do any journey. Basically, the current crop of EVs have too short of range to make public charging only too inconvenient to be worthwhile. Maybe when we see 150kwh vehicles hit the mass market (they are becoming available in China) things will be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Lol.

I've no problem if someone said they just preferred a PHEV. You don't need such a convoluted saga, with more holes than a string bag, that makes a very weak case for PHEV anyway.

Someone might not use the car all year but once a year do driving holiday where they want a long range diesel for example. No different to people who keep a weekend car. I've a mate with about half a dozen cars, some old and most get hardly driven. He just likes having them to play with.

I don't really understand this to be honest. If a supply is limited to less than 5A, you have practically no electric power available, you couldn't boil a kettle. Most mobile homes have a 16A supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

You don't chose a phev to restrict yourself to chargers.

Phev is perfect for people with home charging who don't want to think about where else to charge.

If phev's like the ones byd sell elsewhere I can imagine they'll impact EV sales in Ireland.

They're just the better option for our lower population density.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think a PHEV is sensible option at all if you can't charge at home. There ideal use case is charging at home for average daily usage, then using the combustion engine when you need to go beyond. Ideal for people who do a mixed mileage of regular daily journeys and who often need to go beyond a 300km return trip.

"...He wouldn't have to find a charger at all..."

Like the studies show. In general, most are using their phevs like ICE only vehicles most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭josip

It would suit our needs perfectly. My wife could do her commute entirely on the nightly recharge and then no need to think about recharging on long trips.

I reckon that would cover most drivers in Ireland, drive it in ev mode 90% of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

That logic baffles me. If you're going to drive in EV mode 90% of the time, why not buy an EV? You have a larger battery, less maintenance, fewer parts failing, and you're not carrying around a large engine for the 10% of the time that you think you need it, thus reducing the range of said battery. I'm sure people can square it off in their heads, but it baffles me nonetheless. If they were doing 50% EV mode and 50% combined/ ICE, that would make more sense… or 40/ 60 in favour of ICE. I can only see the benefit of a PHEV if the majority of your driving is outside the limits of an EV range, or if home charging wasn't feasible.

Some people don't want to have to think about where there are chargers, or if they'll be able to actually access them.

PHEV gives you the freedom to not think about that. Plus if 90% of the driving is in EV mode from nightly home charging then the motor wear is 10% of an ICE vehicle.

I was very open to changing to EV in the coming years, but I think I'll be going PHEV until EV charging is as ubiquitous as Lidl and Aldi carparks around the island.

That would likely be true, but the reality is that his use case is not all that suited for electric at all. He doesn't have home charging and public charging is an expensive faff - paying for parking and ecars extortionate pricing.

Environmental reasons do however seem to be a significant motivator for him so I think a good compromise for that case is PHEV. He can have as much electric driving as he's willing to go out and charge it but at the same time not absolutely have to find public chargers to go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

how often would you realistically need to charge publicly?

Motor wear? What is that? Do you find yourself reboring cylinders a lot?

Servicing an ICE is based on mileage or time. You can't have an engine for 10yrs and not service it because you've only done 5k.

You're thinking of charging like going to the petrol station. If you going do that just by an ice because you don't get it..

You'd never have to think about that with a phev.

Most people don't want to think about the permutations of recharging, so a home-charging phev gives them the benefits of EV driving with probably 10% of the trips to the forecourt for longer trips.

I agree with the poster who said it doesn't make any sense without a home charger either. Since you'd be charging it so frequently if you use EV mode the majority of the time. You'd want to be very dedicated. The stats say most people aren't.

As you say I think you'd need to be doing at least 50% of your driving in ICE for it to be worth it.

They'll be thinking about it 90% of the time if they are using EV mode 90% of the time. You can't use a battery you haven't charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

not what I asked, it's an easy enough question, if you think it's 10 or 20 times a year and that worries you unduly I get it, if it's once or twice buying a phev seems mad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

As an ICE driver of over 26 years, I've had more than a few instances of worrying about getting to a filling station due to the car running on fumes. On many occasions, I have woken up to my car being almost empty due to my wife thinking that the diesel fairy magically fills the car up at night.

I've been an EV owner for a year and I've never had to worry about where to charge. I top my car up to 80% every night and I have a range between 300km to 350km+ every morning. If I'm doing more than 300km, I charge it to 100%. I've been all over the country and only used public chargers 3 times; each instance was unplanned, hassle-free, and probably unnecessary but ensured no squeaky bum by going to single digits. The only issue is the cost of public charging, hence why I charge at home. I could always invest in a trailer and generator and lug it all over the country to ensure I never have to worry…

• Advertisement

If you have home charging then what point are you trying to argue? Is saves time if you simply plug it in when you get home, no need to visit a public charger which may be busy. I agree that buying a Phev without home charging is pointless.

Also buying a Phev isn't anti EV, it's a move towards EV. If we end up with EV chargers in every Lidl and Aldi carpark in the country then I reckon no one will ever say they're nervous about range. When I'm on a long drive as is I'll seek out a lidl or Aldi anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Another ICE car fire on the M1 today. Yet the media would be all over it if it was an EV!

Post edited by Gumbo on

I can say I've had trouble once in 12 months. But that was mostly due to my inexperience and some miss communication with passengers. One passenger disappeared for 30 mins thinking we were charging when we weren't. Which caused us to skip a planned charging stop leaving us tight. On the return journey we went a different route and drove differently meaning we did the same journey without stopping and had 30% left at the end.

Previous time doing the same journey in our ICE it went into limp mode. Start of lots of problems with it.

I've used public chargers about 20 times and most of those was just to test different chargers and make sure the payments worked. I've only hit two with a queue and one not working. Both times there were alternate chargers nearby.

They you have to think about it.

Most of the Lidl's and Aldi's near have chargers. But mostly AC. Not sure how useful that is for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

ThIs thread just keeps on giving. If someone is happier to own and drive a phev then I for one am happy for him. One step closer to a full EV down the line.

I wonder if this chiding of phev owners could be the new driving a sports car middle age crisis thingy. In fairness us old guys need a break😆

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Where are you getting a nightly recharge if you don't have the ability to charge when you're at home? I don't think anybody wants to seek out a nearby charger every night and then bring the car back. Using a BEV with a weekly public charge is seen as too much of a burden by a lot of people trying to convince them to do the same everyday sounds like a set up for a bad newspaper article.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

1. Why is only folks without EVs that are mysteriously worried about "range"?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a bit bizarre alright, and fairly ironic given the thread title.

I don't think people have problems with PHEV owners, I think the objection is to recommending them for people who can't charge at home. The recommendation was made as a response to the article by Conor Pope.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I said it many times on this forum.
    People without EV’s stress more about charging and range than those that actually have an EV.

Advertisement