Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2024 Irish EV Sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,122 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

So many Bravos and Puntos back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

I think we gave a neighbour €100 for a barely driving banger and scrapped it the next day for a new Nissan sunny!

That type of scrappage scheme will never ever happen again - there’s really not enough cars left to scrap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

new car prices have risen madly over the last 6-7 years out of line with average wage. It almost feels like early 2009 in terms of housing. Are we rather seeing the start of a slow down of people buying cars at ridiculous prices they cannot really afford/getting locked into pricey finance schemes?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Doesn't look like it, sales Jan-May are only 2.39% lower than the previous high achieved in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,473 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I think you’d be better off bringing out a warranty extension backed by the government on 2nd hand EVs to cover drivetrain, battery etc.

That would improve interest in 2nd hand EVs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Incentives to improve interest in used EVs probably won't have much impact on new sales. The depreciation woes that shook people over the last year were primarily caused by price increases being removed, followed by used prices settling back down to where they should be.

New car prices shot up, which caused used car prices to shoot up. When new car prices started dropping back down we had journalists acting surprised that used prices also reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

There's a new generation of cheap EVs arriving later this year and next year. I think people are holding off for them.

Maybe that partly explains drop off in sales.

Also the market segment of people who can afford a new EV is probably limited.

Also the second hand market for EVs is quite good now.

A lot of those cheap EVs have low range. Which I don't think is a problem in the real world. But Irish media has done such a job on vilifying range is going to be hard sell now

I thought the idea was to get as many people as possible into EVs for environmental reasons no?
    Provide better longer warranties on used EVs and more people will be interested which keeps used EV prices higher, insulating new EV buyers from massive depreciation losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

PCP is behind the rise in prices. Easy access to credit for all.

• Advertisement

It is a problem if you need the range though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Apparently the range of the F150 lightning is why it's sales have been disappointing.

But that's for Americans in rural areas who drive big distances in cold weather.

The majority of irish people travel small distances with the odd long trip.

I think a lot of Irish consumers are anticipating the next gen of cars like BYD, Skoda, Citroen which will be affordable.

So I think the current sales drop is just a blip.

This is a thread about 2024 Irish EV sales which is based on the number of new sales this year. If you want to start a thread about incentivising used sales do so.

I don't think the reported depreciation losses of the last 12 months have been caused by lack of interest in used EVs. People simply didn't want to pay a high price for a used car just because the original purchaser bought it at the height of the inflated prices. People who buy new cars should be expecting to lose 12-15% per year. If they aren't prepared to accept that level of loss on a new car then they shouldn't buy one irrespective of the drivetrain.

I think the biggest indicator of the current health of the new EV market can be seen in the large drop in sales for the ID4 and the MY. Chopping about 20% off the price of a car and having plenty stock would ordinarily shift units easily, but it isn’t at all.

Most of those ID4 sales are on VW’s PCP offers too, which will mask some market sentiment - people prepared to swallow their misgivings in favour of better monthlies and a 241 car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

what are car sales like generally? Is the overall market on par with last year and it's just evs lower?

I'd imagine the percentage of Id4s on pcp isn't any higher or lower than their ice offerings to be fair.

Apropos of nothing saw a model y taxi today they must have resolved the window tint issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭3d4life

"I think the biggest indicator of the current health of the new EV market
    can be seen in the large drop in sales for the ID4 and the MY."

Hmm, yup…..seems 6k off MY in Germany…not clear if its just for quarter end or if its ongoing

Non-EV sales in 2024 are +11%, while pure EV sales are down 22% for Jan-May, but down 40% in each of Mar/Apr/May, on lower volumes obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 28,085 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tesla haven't made the q end deliveries yet and there were delays in getting ID4s into the country in April and early may. Now dealers are holding onto the cars until July for customers for the new reg plates.

It was a similar pattern last year - July 2023 was the highest sales month of the year for EVs, so annual growth will be hard this year even if there’s a lot of delayed deliveries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭Goose81

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

yeah just as things might look to be settling down after the market adjusted from over demand under supply throughout COVID, we now have another aspect that may drive some prices back up again - great!

It is great, China should not be allowed to destroy the worlds car market with government subsided vehicles to create an unfair advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Maybe so but on the other hand, the consumer doesn’t want over inflated prices for cars either. Two wrongs don’t make a right here- are manufacturers willing to reduce profits? Are governments. especially Irish government, willing to reduce revenue on cars?
    And what about the parts that are made in China for other car manufacturers? Might China impose an exit tax on those parts leaving China?
    All that this is going to do is add to a trade war - the politicians will talk big but at the end of the day the consumer will suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

The tariffs are long expected, that's why BYD is building a factory in Hungary to avoid those. Will there be counter sanctions? Likely but minimal.

That won't make an ounce of difference if this report as expected proves state subsidies. They will target them another way, all the parts flown in from china to build the vehicles.

If the EU really want to take action BYD building a factory in Hungary is not going to solve it

The factories being located in EU keeps a lot of Jobs and trade in the EU. That will be the bigger part of this. You can already see EU countries with unemployment issues scrambling to get Chinese factors in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

The range / charging mantra is grist to the mill for the media and clicks yet I think that could be flipped on its head although the Chinese tariffs have probably killed the angle.

We all know the complaining that range isn't enough - thats fine and if dropping 40k+ on a new car I can see why people see it as an issue even if I don't.

However if you could get the BYD Seagul thingy with its claimed 300kms range and Chineses USD10k price tag here and OTR in Ireland for 12-15k new then I think you would see a huge uptake. A real world range of 200kms for a cheap small car would tick most of the boxes for most people as a second run around car. For elderly people in the city and the country it would be ideal as lets face it the cars generally run around to shops and friends etc. Couple that with a proper insurance framework that didn't make insuring two cars a nightmare people could even keep their old ICE for their circuit of Ireland holiday trip or whatever.

I know that wouldn't suit everyone but it could suit those with driveways and stand alone houses. At the end of the day if the government see an increase in EV use as a critical part of their plans then who cares how you get there once you get there.

I'd even venture further and suggest that a 100/100 EV small car (AKA Fiesta Mk1 size) for sub 10k could be a game changer. BTW 100/100 would be 100kms at 100kph in wind and rain. Anyone my age will know that the Fiesta everywhere in rural Ireland in the late 70's and 80's. Cheap, ecconomical, reliable private transport.

I am not convinced about grants etc as they always seem to impact the market at some point in an unintended way. If the product is good enough and price point matches them people will see the value propoistion and change if it suits for financial reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,057 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

wont matter how cheap a low range car is youll still have the constant moaning abour range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

But at least we can reply with "What do you expect for the price??"

• Advertisement

There are different types of super mini class cars. Those that have them as city runabout, 2nd car for local journey. There are also those who have it as their first or only car. They'll use it for long journeys. There will be those with no home charging, or in an area poor public charging availability.

But you know they have a choice. There will always be a ICE alternative if they don't want a BEV. If you want an ICE just go buy one. Nothing wrong with either choice. IMO.

Advertisement