Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European Parliament Elections 2024 - Friday, June 7th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

If i was her, regardless of the result, i'd give the GE a shot. For a green she speaks some common sense and comes across 6 zillion times better than Ryan, Martin or that idiot O'Gorman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,604 ✭✭✭✭28064212

That may or may not be true, but what relevance does it have to voting in the European Parliament Elections 2024? If 26 out of 27 countries are are using pen and pencil, Ireland are not behind the times by any measure

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 14,386 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well other countries do offer early voting, postal voting, and voting in absentia.

Postal voting is available but only to a very select few in Ireland. We don't offer any of the rest. Which is my general point. If you park the e-voting debate, why don't we offer the above? Is it a technology thing, or is it a 'we can't be arsed' thing, as 'if it aint broke dont fix it'.

When the turnout is <50% (which I think will happen) we will have debates on how to get more people out to vote, and the obvious solutions will be staring people in the face.

E-Voting is done in other countries when it comes to different elections though.

Norway allows online voting, from anywhere in local referendums.

Belgium uses it, as do the Australians and Swiss for some elections.

The French allow e-voting for those living abroad, again something we don't do or offer. (One of the few in the world who dont, the EU has called us out on that).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

She's from Waterford and they already have a Green Party TD, who'll be very lucky to keep his seat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I know that, all i'm saying is she'd be more of a leader than any of the other names i mentioned. Although i wasn't aware the Greens had a TD down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

lol send him into the belly of the beast, the beast he want to take a salary from🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭StormForce13

But what do you believe that an MEP and/or a County Councillor can do about Mental Health services?

I still think Grace O'Sullivan could be in the hunt for the last seat in Ireland-South. The soft left vote could transfer well to her, bringing her over the line.

McNamara to get the 3rd or 4th seat.

Kelly and Kelleher are shoe ins, with Funchion to get in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Amusing to think Funchion is probably the safest SF candidate! I do think Lynn will be ok but she's is not someone I would be putting much money on.

The other candidate to keep an eye on down South is John Mullins, if FG are flying in the polls and with Kelly on top of the ticket he has a chance if admittingly small.

I am curious to see how Blighe does as well, he won't win a seat but out of all the hard right lads he seems to have somewhat broken through to the masses somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

Have people forgotten already at the 2002 attempt at introducing e-voting?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voting_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

Not a quote from above

€55m e-voting machines sold for just €70,000

Every vote counts, especially when they cost taxpayers over €55m.

FRI, 29 JUN, 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Something curious I've noticed is a lot of friends and family have used UL's tool whichcandidate.ie to see who their views align with on major EU issues and have been surprised to find Mick Wallace at the top or near the top.

Not sure how it'll translate but it feels like deja vu seeing Mick being lambasted and ridiculed by our media so often that he's being counted out by the public only for him to get re-elected anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Irish people often vocal about voting rules in the UK and America but ignore our own outdated system here. Basically no postal voting, difficult to switch areas, 3 polling cards to the same person etc etc.

And one commentator on the radio this morning said it is possible that the European counts could last til the end of the month. Absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Well they should do something about it , Ireland has just over 400 suicides a year and unfortunately the services get the least amount of funding in the budget every year, not asking for a major change but even a a little one will make a difference to thr current situation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What we need is electronic counting, not electronic voting.

The ballot papers would be scanned and checked if necessary by a human pair of eyes. A sample of boxes could be 100% verified just to be sure to be sure.

With ballot papers accurately scanned, they can then be counted by a computer program with each count being published. The benefit of such counting is that fractions of a vote can be transferred for greater accuracy.

It must be cheaper to do this for the Euro election.

A lot of talk about Mullins. Eddie Punch too has a lot of chatter.

They could all be in the running for that final seat.

The final seat in Ireland South is to be between Punch, Wallace (I hope not), O'Sullivan, Mullins, and possibly McNamara but I think he will be home and dry in 4th place. The FF NI Murichu transfers could help Mullins a lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

is there a way to do a poll for the Europeans even first preference for each area? Be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,569 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

God, that fiasco!

A fella here got a huge sum of money to store just some of them. He got the contract by dubious means. Cost the state to buy him out of the contract too.

Yeap but we are Irish, so inerita runs deep.
    We want others to change, but not us.

Not a bad suggestion, but again, you will have detractors who love to sit in count centres for 5 days for the craic.

Maybe if attempts at introducing tech at elections was done competently and without the cronyism and dubious tendering etc the people would have confidence in it.

As is usual, blame the people because any modernisation has been fooked up by those tasked with implementing it.

• Advertisement

Maybe if attempts at introducing tech at elections was done competently and without the cronyism and dubious tendering etc the people would have confidence in it.

If you have evidence of such when it came to the e-voting trial in 2002, do share it with us.

Too often there are calls and howls of indignation from people, who wouldn't know a mouse from a keyboard, about corruption, cronyism and the usual perpetual cynicism that infects Irish politics. It's very often why we have no vision greater than fixing the odd pothole, because everyone is quick to shoot down any idea, especially when it comes to any technology project.

Too often there are calls and howls of indignation from people,

You are howling at the people because the government and it's dept's messed up rolling out the tech.
    Plenty of evidence of dubious tendering to store their mess-up if you look. Why would anyone trust them, is the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

And forgot to mention this bizarre censorship period we're in now where broadcasters are not allowed to mention the election. Nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭EnPassant

If you count the votes electronically, then you will end up with a file of ballots. Back in 2002, there were spreadsheets containing the ballots published for the 3 Dáil constituencies which used e-voting.

The vast number of combinations of votes possible using STV makes it easy to "sign" your vote.If I were to tell you in advance that a particular combination of preferences would appear on the ballot list, it would be very easy for you to check the list after the election and identify my vote. The chances of anyone else using the same combination is so small as to be irrelevant.

There are 25,852,016,738,884,976,640,000 ways of voting 1-23 for all the candidates in Dublin - and that's much less than half the available combinations. There is another 25 million billion billion ways of voting 1-22 and leaving 1 space blank, etc.

PS Northern Ireland does fractional counting manually. It does not require computers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It is to prevent fake news without the opportunity to refute such lies. It used to be the day before voting, but now it is only from midday the day before voting. It only applies to broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I agree with you. There was technical criticism of those machines they bought afair (it is a very long time ago so may be misremembering?), that they were too black box and did not create enough of an audit trail to do any verification later if there was some questioning of results.

The hoopla around it was no good reason to throw the hands up, give up and say that's it - there will be no electronic voting for us (effective outcome given its now approx. 20 y later)!

You are right, this country and its people are extremely conservative and frightened by change in general, esp. technological change in processes and admin.

The introduction of Eircode is another example. I don't think people would be without it now but amount of screeching, the public rows about it + claims of what a waste of money it was etc. before it came in was crazy. Thank God they pushed on with it, and got it done anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

E-voting is searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Our system is trusted, is accurate and the count as a process is enjoyed by the public.

What does changing that do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Well stay off Facebook because it's saturated with propaganda,,,if I go on politics.ie I can't access it without a full page advertisement for a candidate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I were to tell you in advance that a particular combination of preferences would appear on the ballot list, it would be very easy for you to check the list after the election and identify my vote

So you're saying that if you told someone your voting preferences that they could look through the votes to find your ballot paper which would tell them basically what they told you?

And apparently that no two people will vote the exact same combination and everyone ranks all 23 candidates in your example…

Advertisement