Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are some actors treated like gods?

• 25-03-2024 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭

I don't get it, I know they are talented but all they are doing is pretending to be someone else, why are they treated like they are these perfect people who are better than everyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I can't say that I can think of many actors that are treated like Gods tbh.

Although, the whole frenzy over Tom Cruise is something that I'll never really understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

Sounds like a lot on here.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭mikethecop

im not sure but i think he has donated enough to scientology to qualify for god status there at least

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,807 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Christian Bale is allegedly one of the worst to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In a word, celebrity culture.

After all, we live in a world in which Donald Trump's career as a reality TV performer was considered by a surprising number of people to fit him to be President of the United States. There are a lot of people out there who confuse fame with either virtue or competence or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Because celebrity culture is a form of religion .... actors are among the most visible and entertaining of celebs but directors/producers get worshipped too because of the film they produce ....

Some actors/directors/producers are very good people ... but others have 'proven to be not good at all' according to some and not always based on fact! .... Kevin Spacey, Chuck Norris, Harvey Weinstein, the list goes on .... but still some people will worship them no matter what ... some of these are not guilty but were blamed wrongly and others are guilty as hell ... but it does not matter ... people will still watch Pulp Fiction even though Mr Weinstein was involved ....

Films often get cult status .... thus actors in them get same .... the characters become real and we talk about James Bond, Indiana Jones, Dirty Harry, Mad Max, Rambo, Rocky, Batman, Superman, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, etc. as if they are real people .... they and the actor become one and same ....

People tend to get obsessed with fictional characters and they become heroes to them .... not saying it is right or wrong .... but it does happen .... my cousin was a total Bond nut and regard 007 as his hero .... he is still into Bond but is more balanced about it now ...

Post edited by lumphammer2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

Was Spacey not found not guilty? Chuck Norris? What did he do?

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Hollywood actors are just a better class of person than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Samantha Atkinson

I am also wondering why other people seem to worship them. I just don't get it. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

When I say 'proven' to be 'not good' I mean it in a reputation sort of way ... there does not have to be proof but all there has to be is something in the cupboard that tarnishes the image of the person ... we all know full well Weinstein was truly sick ... as regards Spacey everyone remembers the allegations but he was cleared in court ... but others will continue to say he was guilty ... Chuck Norris was 'seen' at the infamous 6th January far right riots in DC ... only it was not him ... but it does not stop people believing it was him ...

We all have our favourite actors and directors/producers .... and we will run with the story if we do not like the person and we will be ready to defend if we do like them ... I have seen many friends fall out over conversations relating to actors and the like ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Look at this, its like a spoof but it is real. 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

Spacey was not only found not guilty but his "accuser" was rightly discredited as a chancer, but evidence of the scam hushed up.

As to the topic of the post - if someone is going to be exalted, I'd rather see someone like Tom Cruise who employs thousands and entertains millions - than someone described as a "Tiktoker" and added to the cast of "Celebrity Sewage Clean Up" or whatever the latest one is!!

Not an actress - and tbh I've no idea what she does but she's in my paper every sodding day - but the one who is married to that idiot Kanye.

Years ago my bus broke down right by where the ladies of the night plied their trade - they were wearing more than she - and the papers are treating her like a queen! The cult of celebrity baffles me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cleared of sexual assault but was certainly offering sex for jobs at the Old Vic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

very true, and its not just actors being treated like gods. It's even royalty and celebs alike. It's really just stroking unwarrented self importance and narcissism. The world should'nt care if so and so got married or had kids, but really i blame the news and all the media. They're at fault for over sensationalizing all this and always hyping up crap that is of no importance. They're only treated like gods by the media, and anyone who's dumb enough to fall for the hype. its really just excessive marketing sprinkled with PR and propaganda, its nothing new. People need to stop caring about those the system wants them to "care" about, and should only care about those who in turn care about them vice-versa.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

Gosh I hope you alerted the authorities in London with your evidence!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I suppose if you go back to the days of old royal courts and the like - you had certain groups of importance. The druids or priests, your strongmen, the medicine man and the court jesters for entertainment. So that's all actors and actresses are - just court jesters to poke with and at, little real substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

That's not a good example to make your point because Donald Trump was known within America for his political battles with Ed Koch throughout the 1980s.

He was never just a television star.

Most celebrities do not have decades-long dabbling in politics and known policy positions e.g. Trump was talking about protectionism in 1991 when he felt the USA was getting a bad trade deal vis-a-vis Japan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Didn't you know that Cillian Murphy is now the bestest person in the entire world? And the most talented, ever.

And you should be very proud that he was born on the same piece of earth as yourself.

And don't forget Mescal, Scott and Ronan. Also absolutely amazing specimens who are just amazing. It's amazing what they can do. Pretend to be other people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

More an American / UK think I think. In Ireland our own "celebrities" are not really fawned over. Basically because I think they are more accessible and ordinary (in comparison to America/UK - in particular America). I know Bono is not an actor.

But in America Bono would have near God "status", in Ireland he is that gobshite with sunglasses (with the odd decent tune) who is used as a photo opportunity by world leaders.

But the covid 19 pandemic celebrity "messages" / Will Smith Oscars slap / Harvey Weinstein's antics, etc should hopefully have opened people's eyes a bit.

Personally I think if you are not a teenager/maybe early 20's at push - and still fawn over celebrities there is something lacking somewhere, IMO.

As far as I see it many "celebrities" are just new age advertising boards for the latest product from the young materialist market. Somehow they get branded as "influencers". The sad reality is there is a cohort of people (especially in America) who do what ever xyz celebrity tells them to do, even if it is on subjects such as politics, geopolitics etc that the celebrity is not qualified to speak on.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I was working in Waterloo at the time in the pubs he was offering sex to barmen in. Not my place to go to the police as he didn't offer it to me not being an aspiring actor. Most of my friends just laughed off the proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Nothing to see here.

Post edited by LambshankRedemption on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Irish celebrities are now being fawned over. Perhaps in the past they weren't, but that's all changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Most of it is money and status. People love to fawn over the wealthy as it's a dream for themselves. The status, the bling, the private jets etc are a way to escape the mundane lives most of us live. If these actors were getting 100k per movie instead of 20m there wouldn't be anywhere near the godlike status. Look at footballers from the 50's or 60's for eg. Good wages but nowhere near now and they would be seen down the local having a pint with the lads. Drug dealers who are amongst the most evil people to walk among us also get the godlike status from some people when their lifestyle is portrayed in the tabloids.

that makes sense but thats quite insulting. i love court jesters, i don't believe actors are jesters. if anything actors are slaves for money and the public are treated below peasents. fake nobility given to slaves is what all this treating actors like gods thing, is. Although there was a roman or pagan holiday iirc correctly were the slaves get to be king for a day. wickerman reverses this with jesters instead.

real comedians are more like court jesters, and worth worshipping like gods almost as they speak the truth at times. some of them. and also like court jesters some also get away with making fun of the queen/king/system while others would normally be hung for it. some comedians get away with it. some comedians speak so much truth they're even seen as prophets

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,627 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Because... Just Look at them

They're clearly not of this world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭victor8600

Why not? If you compare Cillian Murphy and any Olympian god, I would give my preference to Cillian. He at least is professional, courteous and moral, in contrast to fickle, immoral and inconsistent Zeus. And I would rather worship Marilyn Monroe's forms than the formless amalgamated Christian god.

I never mentioned Weinstein.

I'm not the poster who first brought Spacey up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,623 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Tom Cruise gives me the ick, he looks like he's trying so hard to look normal that he overacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,487 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I agree, then you have average singers like Taylor Swift getting treated like they are something special for some reason?

And the pretentious Barry Keoghan, better not forget him.

i can't really comment about taylor swift as i know little to nothing about her, but i'm guessing it could be down to PR and attention seeking based activities some celebs get up to, or things they become involved in. Alot of the time it just chalks down to sensationalism and marketting schemes.

As for swift, all i know is she has a big fanbase of mainly kids i assume or absolute consumers just like the rest, and also that she's notorious for having a high amount break ups or boyfriends or something. And either her or someone on her marketting team pretended she uses 4 chan to gain more notoriety and attempt to score internet points for her self image lol pathetic and petty.

The lengths some people go to, to stay relevant is insane. Especially when it involves attention seeking actions that end up in the news or publicity stunts, or even as far as breaking the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think their sheer amount of wealth, fame and being surrounded by "yes men" and hangers on, can send a lot of them loopy. You need only look at Will Smith and his family lifestyle. The fella had a melt down, but is still treated like Holywood royalty. The spin put on it now is that he is "human" etc and seeks "forgiveness". It is a vicious circle.

I know he has only being an occasional actor, in the likes of Pirate of the Caribbean . But it is why I am very impressed at how Paul McCartney has "survived" his fame and fortune. He somehow has managed to stay grounded and relatively "normal" despite it. I am not sure many people have been successful in doing that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

I’d say it’s partly his working class upbringing coupled with Linda’s influence that helped. Seems a lovely man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 483 ✭✭thereiver

Taylor swift is more popular than any actor ,

The movie business is in a crisis .theres been no big movie hit this year, less people are going to the cinema, trends change every year, the last 2 years has been good for irish actors.many aaa movies don,t make a profit .i think young people are more interested in youtubers, pop singers or popular tik tok creators than

the average movie star.

movie stars have to spend months promoting movies going on talk shows ,which is probably not much fun.

taylor swift sells out concert arena venues in a few hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,393 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The movie business is in a crisis .theres been no big movie hit this year, less people are going to the cinema,

No its not. Yes there has been " Dune2" was massive and there has also been a Ghostbusters movie and another Planets of the Apes Movie.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I was at the movies about a month back on a tinder date. Monday night, place was deserted. Screen whatever, middle seats in the back row. Only 1 other couple came in and sat a few rows down but in the corner.

Anyway after the shift I had her boobs out and she was reaching for more than the popcorn, things were going great.

Then we were rudly interrupted by staff who came in with a torch and shined it at ourselves and the other couple.

And they wonder why the cinemas are empty nowadays FFS

No idea what the movie was btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

When you look at some...what's that guy with the glasses and goatee that does the pretentious interviews? and they're talking about their 'craft'...it's a bit much tbf 🙈😂😂

But tbh it's obviously just a way for people to connect with the world through common ground whether they feel that's a loose connection with the actor or through the films they've done that handled certain topics or a closer connection with fans of the films or even people who dislike the films. Some of those people are not self aware tho and don't understand their own feelings of connection through film/media etc and then it can get weird lol 😆😆🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭amacca

Yes, even Mel Gibson....they are a superior form of life and fart rainbows. Its a well known fact.

Very poor films released this year. I have only gone to see 2 films and its June. I would go every week if there was decent films to go watch.

….

Films have lost their appeal cause of too much choice! Its ruining everything.

You rarely rewatch a film anymore even if it's good. God I use to get up in the early morning and rush down for a quick chance to have control of the tv and rewatch a film even a scene from a film...and I couldn't do it now cause I don't need too so the desire is gone but back then I got as much entertainment if not more from watching it again...and it did what the film was made to do (obviously some **** films that you watched again but then you made injokes about them and it was fun)...it was to make you think! That's why films were seen as art! You don't look at a beautiful painting and throw it away and then hurry to look at another one. You look at it and everytime you look at it you see something new.

I still re-watch films and tv series. But its not to do with choice, why I dont go to the cineam more, there havent been hardly any good films released so far this year.

Because it is to do with choice....you would go to the cinema more if you didn't have so much that you could easily watch at home.

Sometimes I look back at films tv series etc and they weren't that great…we made them great because re-watched them and saw that they actually were great or we made fun of it (we made fun of how crap they were but we still rewatched it...we gave it a chance) cause we didn't have any other choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Suit of Wolves

We're meant to think that they're teaching us something truly important about life from what they're expressing through the acting in the movie's story, but in reality all they're doing in trying to do is make us feel the emotions that they think we want. Often these actors have very little wisdom to share anyway, as they have been spoiled from an early age.

I wonder if the mere fact that so many movies involve the lead character being a writer, if this is a testament to the fact that these the script writers haven't had a lot of life experience in any other line of work. So not only are they not contributing to society, but they make movies about people who don't contribute to society… which the masses are less likely to relate to.

Its like anything…doctors, judges, scientists.. (politicians mix it up trying to reach all audiences)...they use language to make you feel…in the above cases... they have languages to make you feel like you don't know what they're talking about....actors and script writers make you feel included and understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Suit of Wolves

Most of these celebs are sheep and don't deserve praise. For example, Meryl Streep gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation… a man who sexually assaulted 10 underage girls (the youngest being 9)!. Although she at least didn't sign petition to acquit him of the rape he was caught for… unlike Sigourney Weaver and Harrison Ford.

I did not know that. Is there just corruption everywhere?

• Advertisement
Advertisement