Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local Elections 2024

Options
  • 25-05-2024 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭

Im starting with the runners and riders in the Stranorlar - Lifford Electoral Area and adding my opinion on the results. Feel free to add the candidates from the other areas together with predictions.

Garvan Connolly FG

Gerry Crawford FF

Gary Doherty SF

Martin Harley FG

Frank McBrearty Ind

Niall McConnell Ind

Rebecca McDaid Aon

Tony McDaid SF

Patrick McGowan FF

Dakota Nic Mheanman SF

Martin Scanlon Ind

Charles Ward Red.

Im predicting that it will be "as you were" with the exception of Tony McDaid replacing the retiring SF councillor, Liam Doherty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

You mean to say Niall McConnell isn't in with a chance. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Gilly43

More chance of McConnells dog getting in!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

McBrearty must be due another very brief period in a different political party by now surely?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Donegal LEA

Linda Boyle SF

Manus Boyle FG

Jimmy Brogan IND

Patrick Brogan AON

Diarmuid Doherty IND

Martin Hegarty FF

Noel Jordan SF

Claudia Kennedy FF

Niamh Kennedy IND

Pauric Kennedy IND

Michael McMahon SF

John Molloy IP

Micheál Naughton FF

Barry Sweeny FG

Derek Vial IND

Tom Connaghan IND isn't running in this election so I'm wondering if the likes of Pauric Kennedy might get his seat. Not sure if there'll be much other change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Letterkenny EA

Thoiba Ahmed Ind

Kevin Bradley Ind

Vincent J Bradley Ind

Ciaran Brogan FF

Nuala Carr Green

Donal Coyle FF

Tomas Sean Devine Redr.

Sandra Haughey SF

Ulick Hughes SF

Declan Jordan Ind

Jimmy Kavanagh FG

Donal Mandy Kelly FF

Michael McBride Ind

Anne McCloskey Irish People

Michael McLaughlin Lab

Gerry McMonagle SF

Selina O'Donnell

Mary T Sweeney Aon

No idea about who's who apart from a couple of the old timers.

Post edited by muffler on

Think there's a handful more candidates in Letterkenny than that, there's a Labour candidate and an Aontu candidate at least.

edit: your list is cut off after McBride alphabetically

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭SBourgaize

There's a couple of real psychos running this year, hopefully their xenophobic nonsense gets them nowhere ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wikpedia have the full list of candidates. Interestingly, not a single SocDem candidate in the county, i think all other parties are represented.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2024_Donegal_County_Council_election

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Invisible to non existent campaign in Buncrana LEA by Fine Gael, even though a candidate has been selected and nominated. Meanwhile on the Euro ballot Casey appears to have spaffed money on wall to wall posters seemingly advocating closing the border. He'll get a number 25 vote from me, just above the two National Party muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You do realise that if you don't have to give him any vote?

One sitting Cllr in the Stranorlar EA that could be in bother is Frank McBrearty Jr. Back in 2014 he got 1591 first preference votes and was elected on the first count. 5 years later in 2019 his vote dropped to 965 first preferences and after 8 counts he got elected without reaching the quota.

If that trend carries through to this year then he will definitely poll very badly. What doesnt help him either is the fact that he was banned from Council meetings some time ago and is currently facing 2 charges of assault and one of theft along with a couple of other lesser charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

Yes. I do know how to mark a PR-STV ballot paper, thanks.

For the uneducated can you tell us what a PR-STV ballot paper is.

Then why would you give a vote to people you quite obviously despise?

There doesn't seem to be any end to the amount of election material arriving by post. The local postman was telling me it's the biggest amount he has ever had to deliver. This leaves him running 2 - 3 hours behind his normal delivery time.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I've quite a collection of leaflets gathered up! I don't remember getting so many before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Is it just me or is it very flat campaign ?

Is everyone keeping there powder dry for the general election if the SF poll numbers come to pass !

Cant say its flat as such but maybe not as much hype this time compared to a number of years ago. Postal and social media postings and literature would certainly be more prominent these days.

I voted earlier in Stranorlar and it was brisk at early afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Looks like the 100% Redress Party are doing well...and, thankfully, the Irish People party aren't.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Had a look at the Highland Radio website and disappointed to see they had no updates for the Lifford - Stranorlar EA.

Advertisement