Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,766 ✭✭✭✭L1011

On the last point, eBay used to shut for a few hours a week. Friday mornings our time.

Google used to update results every few weeks, but there was a period of a few months between the end of that era and tjr start of faster updates where they had none at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Haha no need for google

Our local library had a yellow pages book that you could use to find websites 😄

I had, and have lost, a pigsback.com printed guide to websites. So many early Irish sites mentioned there. May have actually directed me here

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"I very much doubt butchering animals in farmyards and not in factories still goes on as you may get reported. Maybe it happens still but I doubt it."

Stolen animals get butchered outside the system all the time. A number of years ago I was diving off a slip way in kerry. Spotted this "furry" object, took me a while to figure out what it was. It was the decapitated head of a cow and other bits, legs etc were nearby. The ear tags were cut off so it couldn't be identified even if remains were found. Almost certainly a stolen animal.

A never registered (so no tags), butchered lamb was a comment method of payment for nixers back where my Dad's family is from until ~15 years ago.

It may still be; the sheep farmer that owes me some favours has given me use of his van or pickup when needed instead. And there's only so many koftas I can make.

That butchering was done on farm by experienced farmers, not professional butchers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

True , daddy kept a couple of pigs and bullocks to slaughter, but they were killed in factories . The only thing he ‘ butchered ‘ were the rabbits I snared and bought home . Several cattle had gone missing from various farms and fields and yards . I found out the hard way that Irish people can be selfish thieves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

I won’t click on an article from The Sun. Vile outlet.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Yes, the heater up there was lovely and toasty.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Duke of Schomberg

Many thanks to those posters that have responded to my question about Schuko two-pin plugs/sockets - I've ended up knowing more than I expected to . . . once again, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PP Lee

I won’t click on a Sun article because my phone would be choked by pop up cookie acceptances and video ads. Most tabloid websites these days are practically malware programs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Sammy's Super T-Shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Not sure if this quite belongs here but saw this on Twitter and found it interesting. Talking to young people in Dublin in 1989 about their fashion looks. Seems like Dublin was a pretty cool place back then anyway. I see central bank was big hangout place, same as when I was a teen in the mid/late 90s

No idea what a psychobilly is though lol.

https://x.com/dieworkwear/status/1795196262322483252

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭Trampas

Not sure if mentioned already but are paper boys gone? Remember my brother delivering the herald or press to house. I can still remember the smell of the bag he used. Use to be a house than the papers got dropped to and all the boys went there to get them. Even did a Sunday run and do the collection run on a Friday for money

Few if any shops offer them but both the Indo and Irish Times offer delivery in many urban areas (using each others networks to fill in gaps and offering other papers or mags too) plus I think An Post will do it for elderly/housebound elsewhere.

Mine is delivered by a guy in a car. Paid monthly by card, never talk to the guy as I'm rarely awake at that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Psychobilly was a combination of punk and rockabilly music, characterised by bands like the Cramps, with large quiffs and punk riffs.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭griffin100

When I was about 15 or so I used to stand at the traffic lights near the Dead Mans Inn on what is now the N4 selling newspapers. When the lights went red you'd walk / jog down between the lines of cars with a Herald and a Press on each arm so the headlines were clearly visible. You'd sell the papers through the car windows and then try and dodge your way back to the traffic lights when they went green and the traffic starting moving again. My folks though I was delivering papers on a paper round as we all used to head off in a van loaded with newspapers after school to be dropped off. When they found out what I was actually doing they went mad and stopped me doing it any more. The tips were always great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Lovingly preserved by the BFI on DVD. Their CFF sets are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

One of those girls was on the same course as me in Trinity. A couple of the others went there too.

And I wasn't a psychobilly but I saw The Cramps when they played at the SFX in 1995. (The SFX is something that isn't around these days!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

yeah, Lolo Wood is the blonde, a good few familiar faces in that clip.

I was at The Cramps in the SFX too, great gig. Lux gyrating against the mic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Forget if they tasted shîte or not but who remembers these?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I was chatting with my mate and made a reference to those metal balls that you'd get in a Chinese styles box. They were supposedly stress relievers. You would rolls them around in your hand, making sure they stayed touching at all times. They had some sort of bell/chime thing in them.

He mentioned that you do see or hear about those anymore, and I stopped to think, he might be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭Archeron

Ornaments, ornaments everywhere. Every house, be it a ceramic statue of a Victorian couple on a bench, a set of six small brass cannons, or a trippy tie dye blue glass fish with eyes that followed you around,, you would find large pointless and often creepy dust gatherers everywhere.

Thankfully that seems to have died out.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,900 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Especially in the little used front room / parlour…

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

It's good things from olden times not creepy things. Oh actually it is bad things 😂😂😂😂😂 reminds me of that scene from the snapper where she's talking with her friend and the girl says about the ornaments!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I remember my mother getting this from a friend as a souvenir from Spain, ghastly looking ashtray thing from the early eighties.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Oh we had these horrible buddha drink things...they actually contained some horrible alcohol...used as a last resort at parties...I was too young before they were empty thankfully 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Someone gets married and you get a heavy case of cutlery. Actually several of these

Now is it Sheffield Steel or some reputable brand, I dunno.

My parents have stacks of cutlery sets which probably haven't been opened since the 1970´s. Not to sound like an ungrateful brat and I was not even alive then but the thread is for things that don't happen now. Nobody in 2024 buys cutlery sets for a wedding couple.

In some ways getting presents for events like weddings, birthdays etc is annoying but just giving money (it makes sense but) is so impersonal and it's made events transactional...like bride and groom's counting the predictive money they'll be getting beforehand or using it to pay for the meal. There is something sweet about one of the mothers baking the cake, the aunty making the dress, the lack of expectation of receiving a certain amount from each guest ...and half the guests aren't even close to the couple etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Advertisement