Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Airport.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

There is an upper limit on the numbers of passengers who can use the airport - it's been held at 32 million since 2008. There is an application in with the local council to increase that number because they're coming very close to that upper ceiling - 31.9 million passengers used the airport last year.

Dublin Airport, and the likes of Ryanair and Aer Lingus, want to increase that cap so that they can continue to grow their passenger numbers. However, a lot of people in the area don't want the airport to get any busier as they're fed up of the traffic and the noise (the noise with the new runway seemed to be a big issue).

In the short term the airlines are limited in their ability to add new routes - or to put on special flights for things like sporting fixtures or flights to Lapland to see Santa at Christmas. In the medium term there is probably a genuine debate about how much capacity Dublin Airport can or should have.

If capacity is restricted in Dublin it'll presumably go elsewhere to the likes of Shannon and Cork who have spare capacity. People in business will find solutions rather than not doing anything about their problems.

Shannon in particular would appear well placed to hoover up a lot of the catchment around the midlands who might be using Dublin at the moment and it's a similar spin to Shannon. It's also well placed to service the tourists who want to see the west.

I don't want to stray off topic but it's probably relevant as the level of demand for travel around the country and the level of capacity to service that demand will have an inevitable impact on whatever happens in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

This post demonstrates the hidden cost of getting a flight in and out of Dublin - Your Time & Well being.

I too have had to take those red eye flights - 6am where you get up at stupid o'clock to make a flight and are then home at a ridiculous hour. After a certain point in the day, you arent able to concentrate and you are running on empty ( usually the drive home- no pun intended) where if your lucky you dont fall asleep at the wheel. Booking a room at a dublin airport hotel for an early flight is usually a rip off too.

if you add up the expense of fuel, parking in Dublin Airport ( extortionate prices) and your own welfare then the admittedly higher cost of flying out of waterford was always well worth it and if fact the difference was often negligible. Thankfully most of the time the company paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭space2ground1

M50: Dublin motorists and people taking flights warned of severe delays after crash

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/2024/05/17/dublin-motorists-and-people-taking-flights-warned-of-severe-delays-after-m50-crash/

I considered using the bus from Waterford to Dublin but my return flight was late so it wouldn’t have worked for me. It also takes a long time to get there. You’re looking at 6 hours of Irish travel in total before you’ve stepped on a plane to go anywhere in Europe.

2 to get to Dublin (if you’ve been gargling holy water), 2 in the airport, 2 home again.

Where I was staying, I got a train direct to the airport (1st class, quiet carriage €20) and did some work on the train. Everything seemed so much simpler and less dependent on the place where you live being ridden of services to impress voters elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Flying from waterford (I've a young family) is easily worth €200 out of my pocket.

I might book from Dublin and save the money but i would instantly regret it when it comes to the day of travel and wonder why i didn't fly from waterford.

TIME IS MONEY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Rustyman101

Likely not happening end of !

Kick the can till costs or some other excuse can be used not to proceed.

anything to be said for another report ?

Remember this next week when casting your ballot pls.

It won't have any impact on getting the airport but please don't reward the people stopping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭914

Ryan was in town today with hands swinging as usual

They'll probably commit to it pre next election and the next government we'll see it disappear again

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Valhalla90

Anyone with any common sense should not vote for the Greens in the Local,European and General Elections. Ryan is the worst transport minister I think the state has ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭azimuth17

They do not even have the balls to make a public decision. Ryan hiding behind process and civil servants. Words fail..!

• Advertisement

I agree Ryan is a Muppet but FG and FF are also part of this government, and FG have been since 2011.

Just like aspirations for a University of Waterford they also have zero aspirations for Waterford Aiport

FG & The Greens are a toxic combination for Waterford. FF are bad but at least we got stuff from them with Cullen. FG has literally destroyed the educational system in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Marc Ó Cathasaigh is extremely vocal about bikes - bike lanes, bike rental schemes, etc etc etc.

Not so much about the airport though.

Bike lanes to Cork airport to be exact. I thought it was a Waterford whispers article when I saw it last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How much cash are the Comers proposing to put up , ? I saw an article a while back that was implying that their purchase of the airport was their contribution. Not sure if that's the case

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 34,880 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ryan has overseen the introduction of a lot of new bus services all over the country and is encouraging more rail frieght, a lot of passenger trains have been ordered but won't be delivered for another few years unfortunately (having an almost unique in the world rail gauge doesn't help there)

Shane Ross was easily the worst Minister for Transport, he did literally nothing except pander to his own constituency's concerns and not even transport either!

Varadkar probably next, cancelled Metro North when it would have provided many much-needed jobs as well as delivering infrastructure which would have had a positive impact on the national economy.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

From a Waterford perspective he could give us the extension in the morning if he actually wanted to. This is the problem he doesn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Grace O Sullivan out with a statement on this now, I wonder does her team feel it is impacting her re-election for Europe, it could damage her local vote which I guess is the lions share for her.

Post edited by dzilla on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Way too little too late.. Even her statement is wishy washy

totally she is only putting it out there with the hope of people being “ahh ok then" l will never vote for the Greens again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

Week 25

Spiteful Government still keeping friends and family apart, stifling Waterford businesses and crippling the local economy. Beyond pathetic the fumbling around looking for the latest angle to stymie progress.

Full support of this 'policy' from FF - Jack Chambers four square behind their Green partners. All singing from the same hymn sheet:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/waterford-airport-runway-build-faces-delay-as-government-continues-to-assess-12m-funding/a173829816.html

Only region without access to mass aviation. Government has deemed the South East unworthy of parity. Somehow lesser and it's citizens not worth investing in; their views aloof & vacant at best and full disdain at worst.

No scoping of alternate sites, no alternative plan, no vision - just chronically delinquent sub-par governance.

remember this if your thinking of voting especially Greens or FG!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,790 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You know that if demand was that high, the existing airport has sufficient runway to run services at a higher cost to anywhere in the UK; and indeed as far away as Germany/Spain with specific models of aircraft, right? Because all of this actually happened before. I used to fly out of WAT to the UK pre-T2 opening in Dublin as the longer drive from Kildare was made up for by the ease of use.

The NW has an even more limited airport and has service to the UK.

Central Government are never going to provide an entirely new airport anywhere in the country off their own bat, and Waterford have got themselves tied to exceptionally unreliable businessmen (see the Sentinel and the Dublin Sports Hotel) - they need to receive significant amounts of blame here.

Realistically, Ryan could announce state funding tomorrow and I'd still expect nothing to happen due to the Comers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Huge amount of the delays seem to be coming from how long the airport management are taking to respond to any queries raised by the Dept of Transport.

But we have no idea the type and context of the information being requested. It could all be deliberate delay tactics from the department. Like the money that is wasted daily in this country with no accountability yet we need to move mountains for 7 million for a piece of infrastructure that will improve the economy of the region. It’s political will and it’s not coming from the government especially the Greens and Ryan!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Well they had initial approval back in 2019, and only submitted their business case for funding in December 2023. That's one hell of a delay from Airport management which gives a sense that delays in responding to follow-up queries are likely to be coming from management as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dan575283578

As ive said before 12 million is absolutely nothing in this context, the govt literally have a surplus of 8 billion euro ffs. There is absolutely no need for them to have to ask all these questions to the airport and spend 6 months and counting to review this. No, im not saying money should just be thrown at every project ever without questioning, but with this it's not only like i said a small amount, but also has obvious benefits to the region. i was hopeful that we'd see work being done in 2024 but those hopes are fading fast.

Take a step back a bit. The government pre COVID could have funded the full works for approx €7 million, they could have sacked the whole board and structure and put in their own people and if it worked great and if it failed they had an asset to sell.

At any stage over the past 13 years or so the government could have funded the airport for small money, the fact is they have no interest.

What bothers me is hearing them preach over the 13 years of how beneficial the airport would be for Waterford and region but yet don't put the money where their mouth it.

The preach how beneficial it would be, if they honestly believe themselves then they wouldn't even wait for private investment.

13 years later and we still talk of no stand alone Uni, no airport and no modal 4 hospital on par with CUH, UHL, UHG.

I feel like these have been burning topics in Waterford for as long as I can remember and we are still discussing them.

I also have no doubt pre the general election the government will state that the business case is solid and they fully support it but unless we see machinery on site it will be more shite talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Greens in trouble on first count tallies. This is on Eamon Ryan and the 12 million he is ring fencing so preciously.

Hope people will do the same in general election.

Glad to see people are giving their votes elsewhere if greens aren't delivering.

Advertisement