Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone ID location of photo?

Options
  • 05-06-2024 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭

This is an old photo inherited from family, but I dont know anything about where it was taken, the date or the names of anyone in it. The background includes what looks like an unusually shaped church tower/steeple, and I wonder can anyone identify where it is? I am presuming Dublin as family lived there, bu

t could be anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭kildarejohn

Looking at photo again, the tower in the background looks more like a watchtower than a church tower. Does anyone know if there were any towers that looked like that at Mountjoy Jail in early 1900's?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Cathal Brugha barracks or actually Richmond Barracks has a turret sticking out of it in a modern day photo I’m looking at now

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Yeah Right

Definitely a church, I'd say.

Looks like East Wall church a bit, if there is any connection to the area:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What area of Dublin did your family come from?

The family lived at North Circular Rd in 1901, by 1911 some of them had moved to Rathmines. The photo has NCR address on the back. But I think the photo was more likely taken at some premises like a tennis club, rather than in the back garden of their home. My reason for thinking tennis club - the high netting wire fencing and the fact that some of the men are in sporting clothes.

• Advertisement

The turret reminds me of some of the churches around Christchurch cathedral and towards Guinness brewery for some reason - not Christchurch itself but some of the buildings in that area

here’s my final guess - St Thomas Indian Orthodox Church - there were many Georgian houses around that area just down from great Denmark st at the turn of the century, eventually knocked in the early 80s as tenements -NCR is reasonable walking distance from there

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g186605-d14204351-Reviews-St_Thomas_Indian_Orthodox_Church-Dublin_County_Dublin.html#/media-atf/14204351/?albumid=-160&type=0&category=-160

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

St. Thomas's is still a Church of Ireland parish as far as I'm aware although the Indian church may also have access to it as well. Things change so much I can't keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That church is not remotely tall enough and the pitch of the roof is nothing like as steep. I do think it's a church or cathedral from the extreme pitch of the roof, which I can't think of any other type of building having.

I think that tower is on a building in front of a church or cathedral behind it, I don't think it's actually part of it

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yeah, I think the tower is in front of the building with the steep roof. I think the edges go something like this:

• Advertisement

Gregor is spot on. The particularly unusual feature of the tower is the sloping walls. I am sure the photo was taken in a tennis or similar sports club, since in the original photo (too big to scan it all) there is clearly a white line painted on the grass. So we are looking for a church (and/or a prison/asylum watch tower) beside a sports ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If it says NCR would it be anywhere down near Grangegorman? Any old sports grounds there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭cobham

Is it to do with brewing? I am thinking of St Patrick's Tower…. part of former Roe distillery complex off James Street …. but that is not it and no green areas nearby.

I think Cobham might be right. Doing Google image search I found several Maltings buildings shaped like our tower.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,438 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Plus, St. Thomas's church was only built in 1931, 20 years after the photograph was taken.

Advertisement