Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are some actors treated like gods?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I agree, then you have average singers like Taylor Swift getting treated like they are something special for some reason?

And the pretentious Barry Keoghan, better not forget him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭BoardsBottler

i can't really comment about taylor swift as i know little to nothing about her, but i'm guessing it could be down to PR and attention seeking based activities some celebs get up to, or things they become involved in. Alot of the time it just chalks down to sensationalism and marketting schemes.

As for swift, all i know is she has a big fanbase of mainly kids i assume or absolute consumers just like the rest, and also that she's notorious for having a high amount break ups or boyfriends or something. And either her or someone on her marketting team pretended she uses 4 chan to gain more notoriety and attempt to score internet points for her self image lol pathetic and petty.

The lengths some people go to, to stay relevant is insane. Especially when it involves attention seeking actions that end up in the news or publicity stunts, or even as far as breaking the law.

They just want the quick easy money cash grab recyclables and to up their recycling stats at your expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think their sheer amount of wealth, fame and being surrounded by "yes men" and hangers on, can send a lot of them loopy. You need only look at Will Smith and his family lifestyle. The fella had a melt down, but is still treated like Holywood royalty. The spin put on it now is that he is "human" etc and seeks "forgiveness". It is a vicious circle.

I know he has only being an occasional actor, in the likes of Pirate of the Caribbean . But it is why I am very impressed at how Paul McCartney has "survived" his fame and fortune. He somehow has managed to stay grounded and relatively "normal" despite it. I am not sure many people have been successful in doing that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I’d say it’s partly his working class upbringing coupled with Linda’s influence that helped. Seems a lovely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thereiver

Taylor swift is more popular than any actor ,

The movie business is in a crisis .theres been no big movie hit this year, less people are going to the cinema, trends change every year, the last 2 years has been good for irish actors.many aaa movies don,t make a profit .i think young people are more interested in youtubers, pop singers or popular tik tok creators than

the average movie star.

movie stars have to spend months promoting movies going on talk shows ,which is probably not much fun.

taylor swift sells out concert arena venues in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The movie business is in a crisis .theres been no big movie hit this year, less people are going to the cinema,

No its not. Yes there has been " Dune2" was massive and there has also been a Ghostbusters movie and another Planets of the Apes Movie.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

I was at the movies about a month back on a tinder date. Monday night, place was deserted. Screen whatever, middle seats in the back row. Only 1 other couple came in and sat a few rows down but in the corner.

Anyway after the shift I had her boobs out and she was reaching for more than the popcorn, things were going great.

Then we were rudly interrupted by staff who came in with a torch and shined it at ourselves and the other couple.

And they wonder why the cinemas are empty nowadays FFS

No idea what the movie was btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

When you look at some...what's that guy with the glasses and goatee that does the pretentious interviews? and they're talking about their 'craft'...it's a bit much tbf 🙈😂😂

But tbh it's obviously just a way for people to connect with the world through common ground whether they feel that's a loose connection with the actor or through the films they've done that handled certain topics or a closer connection with fans of the films or even people who dislike the films. Some of those people are not self aware tho and don't understand their own feelings of connection through film/media etc and then it can get weird lol 😆😆🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭amacca

Yes, even Mel Gibson....they are a superior form of life and fart rainbows. Its a well known fact.

Very poor films released this year. I have only gone to see 2 films and its June. I would go every week if there was decent films to go watch.

….

Films have lost their appeal cause of too much choice! Its ruining everything.

You rarely rewatch a film anymore even if it's good. God I use to get up in the early morning and rush down for a quick chance to have control of the tv and rewatch a film even a scene from a film...and I couldn't do it now cause I don't need too so the desire is gone but back then I got as much entertainment if not more from watching it again...and it did what the film was made to do (obviously some **** films that you watched again but then you made injokes about them and it was fun)...it was to make you think! That's why films were seen as art! You don't look at a beautiful painting and throw it away and then hurry to look at another one. You look at it and everytime you look at it you see something new.

I still re-watch films and tv series. But its not to do with choice, why I dont go to the cineam more, there havent been hardly any good films released so far this year.

Because it is to do with choice....you would go to the cinema more if you didn't have so much that you could easily watch at home.

Sometimes I look back at films tv series etc and they weren't that great…we made them great because re-watched them and saw that they actually were great or we made fun of it (we made fun of how crap they were but we still rewatched it...we gave it a chance) cause we didn't have any other choice!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Suit of Wolves

We're meant to think that they're teaching us something truly important about life from what they're expressing through the acting in the movie's story, but in reality all they're doing in trying to do is make us feel the emotions that they think we want. Often these actors have very little wisdom to share anyway, as they have been spoiled from an early age.

I wonder if the mere fact that so many movies involve the lead character being a writer, if this is a testament to the fact that these the script writers haven't had a lot of life experience in any other line of work. So not only are they not contributing to society, but they make movies about people who don't contribute to society… which the masses are less likely to relate to.

Its like anything…doctors, judges, scientists.. (politicians mix it up trying to reach all audiences)...they use language to make you feel…in the above cases... they have languages to make you feel like you don't know what they're talking about....actors and script writers make you feel included and understood.

Most of these celebs are sheep and don't deserve praise. For example, Meryl Streep gave Roman Polanski a standing ovation… a man who sexually assaulted 10 underage girls (the youngest being 9)!. Although she at least didn't sign petition to acquit him of the rape he was caught for… unlike Sigourney Weaver and Harrison Ford.

I did not know that. Is there just corruption everywhere?

• Advertisement

You know who I do like? Bruce Willis…please don't someone tell me something bad about Bruce Willis.

It seems to me that anyone who is able to do a good Italian-American accent is automatically considered a good actor.

Well who is a good actor to you suit of wolves?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Because people are shallow maybe???

I laugh at the notion of actors and award ceremonies, getting awards for pretending ….. just ridiculous. But such is the world we live in vain and vapid.

It gave people something at one time though…and now it's influencers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Inflating the role of Hollywood celebrities in society ( and all the associated course vulgar attitudes) ,relegates the traditional Christian mores of society

It's deliberate

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Gary_dunne

There's been tonnes of great movies released this year; Dune Part 2, The Holdovers, Godzilla Minus One, The Iron Claw, Monkey Man, Challengers, The Zone of Interest, Poor Things, Furiosa, Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes, All of Us are Strangers, Love Lies Bleeding, The Fall Guy.

I could go on but there's been no shortage of great movies to see in the cinema this year and a lot of the ones I've mentioned are original IP's and not sequels or remakes which has dominated the cinema for the past decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭thereiver

There are good films released every year, films like The Fall guy , Furiosa which were expected to be hits have not made a profit, maybe gen z is losing the habit of going to the cinema since theres so many options ,streaming apps,netflix, youtube,twitch, for entertainment .

yes Dune 2 was a big hit .

i think gen z is more interested in pop singers , whoever they follow on tiktok, twitch,youtube than movie stars .going to see a film is just another choice in the range of options for entertainment .

Maybe its because of gossip websites ,social media actors do,nt seem as important or glamourous as they were 10 years ago.

https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/the-great-contraction-hits-hollywood-2024-02-06/

Audiences are gravitating to streaming services to watch all but the biggest, loudest, films, noted TD Cowen. Just 19 action/adventure films accounted for 56% of the total box office for the top 100 films of 2022. The outlook for a sustained recovery, beyond this type of high-adrenaline flick, is questionable,

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Why not? Most of us like to be liked, admired, respected. If I had the talent or charisma I'd be out charming people too.

And really actors are made do that, their whole career revolves around making connections, if a top actor today can afford to be an ass and treat people like crap it's still near certain that they buttered up to the right people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

In fairness some actors are amazing at what they do and deserve a huge following and admiration. The majority don't of course but a distinction needs to be made between the two.

Advertisement