Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taskmaster (Greg Davies sets some comedians daft challenges!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,422 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

that was disappointing, even the banter between clips was really forced and scripted.
    thought there’d be some behind the scenes stuff in how the show is made but it was like the filler episode in a 90s sitcom where they have a full episode of flashbacks just to make an extra cheap **** episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,386 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yeah. Thankfully it wasn't quite as bad as what the channels usually do with the likes of Mock The Week, Would I Lie To You, Cats Does Countdown etc, where they announce a new series of 6 episodes, but the last episode is just highlights of the previous 5. This didn't take up the space of a normal episode and was just a bonus. Kind of pointless though given how often Taskmaster is repeated on a loop. Think I read though that there'll be one of these at the end of each series for the next few series'.

Even an end-of-series filmed Taskmaster Podcast type of episode would be great, where they just interview the cast and go through highlights, let them talk about it, show extra footage etc. Would be cheap to make (wouldn't need an audience or anything) and be far more worth watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Picked up tickets today for the Taskmaster Live Experience in November in London. Incredibly excited for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭siblers

TThought it wasn't till next week they were doing the draw

They had a "lucky duck" draw where they randomly gave out early access today to some entrants.

There are two different experiences, 'Absolute Casserole' and 'Melon Buffet'. It's pricey though. Prices at the weekend start at £70 and work up to £100 per ticket whereas weekdays start at £50 and work up to £100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,047 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Quite expensive when you don't know what it involves. Saw that you do it in a group of 14 but the top 5 only get to do the final task.

I'd be happy enough to pay 50, doubt I could justify 100 when there's no details on what's involved

Sounds like a similar price point and setup to The Crystal Maze Experience and that makes a fortune.. albeit among often quite negative reviews.

Wife got drawn, can't see us going though, too expensive for little over an hour and you don't know what you're getting. Plus no guarantee of doing the live final task either

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,340 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Same here, my wife got the email earlier. If we lived in London, maybe we'd have splashed out. But add flights and hotel to ridiculously priced tickets for just an hour and it's really not worth it, especially if you're not even guaranteed to get to complete the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Season 5 of Taskmaster NZ started last night.

Very good first episode, a really strong start. Bit of an unusual set-up this year as one of the contestants couldn't make the studio records so they've a guest in their place, which is a huge shame as Tofiga is brilliant.

Only seen her on Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont Spelling Bee, but Abby's bloody adorable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The Youtube algorithm somehow spat this out at me so I've been watching. I ended up starting with Series 10 (?) Johnny Vegas I thought would never be beaten as a contestant as he genuinely seemed to believe his life was in danger in every single task if he didn't win, yet he almost constantly ended up in the most chaotic moments (all his balloons abandoning him in slow motion, "Have you been in an accident that wasn't your fault?" - immediately betrayed by the ladder, 400ft chicken, beermat apartment failure, tripped up by a ghost trying to turn on his unplugged hose, I've been hurt and I want to hurt others, genuine lack of phone service to finish his locker task and having to borrow Alex's phone)

But series 7 already seems to be absolutely the elite series. Only 2 episodes in but I think Acasters "are we the stupidest" is not only accurate then but actually still accurate now. Himself and Rhod have great squabbles while Knappett honks away and Wang just Wangs.

Series 7 is pretty much considered to be the best. Great lineup, great tasks, studio banter/arguments were great.

Series 1-5, 9, 13 and 14 are also some of the best ones. 6 and 8 were pretty weak (8 had some good moments but not enough), 10-12 were during Covid and so never felt right. 15 & 16 were okay for the most part. The last series (17) was also pretty decent.

You have a lot of good stuff to catch up on! Enjoy!

You lucky duck @pjohnson ..

.. don't forget the likes of New Zealand and Australia when finished.

You've a lot of catching up to do.

Oh, new series of UK should start about this time next month I believe - Alex was on Sunday Brunch last week and mentioned it.

The third episode of series 7 goes from James playing a lovely game of tag with Alex to Rhod stripping Alex, tying him up and waterboarding him with coffee.

This is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Been binging this like mad on Netlfix over the last month, just finished season 10, absolutely love it. Would agree with was said above about season 7 being the best. Acaster ignoring Alex, Knappett falling off the stage, Rhod tormenting Greg, Phil Wang haggling and Kerri's "Bosh!". It was a great cast.

I think Daisy May Cooper is the only person I didn't really like on the show. She just rubbed me the wrong way. She was heavily pregnant for the studio shows though so maybe she was exhausted/cranky, in her defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,314 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

in general the Covid era studio bits aren’t great and I don’t find her that funny in the first place, but her losing it with Richard Herring is an all time taskmaster moment

• Advertisement

Episodes 1-4 of Taskmaster NZ series 5 are on YouTube. Next two episodes are out tomorrow and Wednesday.

"Kerry: What happens if we fall off the stage?

Little Alex: You don't need to walk blindfolded, you should be alright."

Greatest foreshadowing in live performance history.

Given I'm so far behind I'm trying not to comment too much as I watch but some points have to made.

1. How on earth did Nish "Bubbly F*ck" Kumar and Mark "One of my highlights of the year" Watson combine their near constant misfortunes into a ridiculously good catchy tune that has zero right to exist?

Bonus: Mark actually understanding the task perfectly to only have a random f*cking dog eat his bread trail is a modern Shakespearean tragedy.

2. "Activate Jamali" might be the greatest most chaotic episode ever. Charlotte Ritchie bringing a cap and Lee Mack a coathanger is fine but then it starts going off the rails. Sarah Kendall's rage realising she is "Picnic Girl". Jamali's immense pride at the simple victory he guaranteed himself by bringing a baseball bat with a nail drilled into it. Only for Mike Wozniak to steal the show by revealing his anti-street-toughs mohawk is majestic.

Then 30 seconds into the first task Picnic Girl f*cking shoots Alex in the face with a staple gun.

Then the golf task is more chaos, Mikes graceful fall is good but the shot of Sarah looking utterly defeated in the chair, while Charlotte runs ecstatically in a circle as Jamali stands like a statue with his back to everyone is hysterical (as Alex is hiding behind his clipboard). Sarah then sending Jamali straight into a nettle hedge while Charlotte just lay down is again hysterical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Sparko

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Hoping to pass muster and be the best are: comedian, host of The Bugle Podcast and cricket statistician Andy Zaltzman (The News Quiz, BBC Radio 4), comedian, actor and podcaster Babatunde Aléshé (Celebrity Gogglebox, C4), actor, comedian and writer Emma Sidi (Starstruck, BBC Three/HBO Max), legendary stand-up and writer Jack Dee (I’m Sorry I Haven’t A Clue, BBC Radio 4), and stand-up, presenter, actor and author Rosie Jones (Trip Hazard, C4).

Source Taskmaster Series 18 Contestants Announced | Channel 4

Have to say Rosie Jones really annoys me, I know it's not PC to say that considering her condition but I'll find it hard to watch this series I fear 😓

I honestly just don't like her humour at all, her condition doesn't factor into it. I rarely find her jokes even mildly amusing. That said, she might be funnier in the Taskmaster environment so fingers crossed!

Emma Sidi was excellent at the Fringe this month (as she was on Starstruck) so I'd say she could be really good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Very good point, part of the problem is that the only time I've seen her is panel shows and she tends to stop any flow in a show and comedians don't cut across her at all, might be better in Taskmaster but I'd imagine a lot of the tasks will need to be modified to allow for her condition, for example I can't imagine they'll have an open a jar covered in lube challenge again this season.

Babatunde is very funny, he was on Big Fat Quiz of the Year earlier this week and he was very good on it.

Rosie Jones on the other hand I really don't understand how people find her funny but the way Taskmaster works she could end up surprising me yet as I'd say she'll go all in on the tasks .

I thought Joanne McNally was going to be awful and she actually ended up being pretty good on it. Whereas John Robins was very dull who I had high expectations for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,147 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

related - I picked up tickets for the Horne Section's show in Vicar St in October - the evening show is sold out but good availability for the matinee, which being old and weary suits me just fine 🙂

Ok just discovering the non Youtube series. Fern Brady is fantastically broken. She has the pure chaos energy of Rhod Gilbert combined with the amazing over-confidence and following under-delivery of Nish Kumar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭taratee

Think this format might suit Rosie. Thought Joanne Mc would be a disaster last time out but she was very good. Looking forward to see how Jack Dee does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭taratee

Take a look at the New Zealand Taskmaster if you get a chance. The host isn't as good as Greg but some of the contestants are brilliant. Season 2 and 4, in particular, are brilliant.

Yeah I said previously that so long as it's only Rosie's own tasks that are adapted for her disability rather than all contestants having to do the same version (like this year's New Year's Special), I don't mind it and think Rosie might be pretty good on the show. She can be funny, the issue tends to be more that her speech pattern and cadence in the middle of say a panel show where everyone is trying to get their joke in, often just means that her decent enough joke isn't worth how long it took to get there and disrupt the flow of everyone else. It can depend on the show. Something like Cats Does Countdown or The Last Leg, she's fine on. Shows like 8 out of 10 Cats or Mock The Week that are more fast-paced and everyone is trying to get all their jokes in, she can be hit and miss. So something like Taskmaster where she does her own tasks could really work to her strengths.

I occasionally catch the repeats of Taskmaster on E4 in the evenings, and man, they really butcher it with the editing. Instead of beeping out stuff that might be inappropriate (since it's before 9pm), they just completely cut it out. They just did a prize task from Series 9 where Ed Gamble brings in confetti-popper party pants, and not only did they cut it out, they also cut out Greg giving him 5 points for it, so it's like he didn't even bring anything in at all.

Taskmaster back this week for Season 18.

Taskmaster Australia back for Season 3 on September 24th. Can't wait to see Aaron Chen and Rhys Nicholson.

We're spoiled right now with all the Taskmaster goodness.

^ Chenny and Rhys will be fantastic!

Chenny has been so damn good on the Spelling Bee!

Yeah, poor Sanjay Patel just can't hold a candle to him. His "want to hear a riddle?" bit will never get old!

BOOM! Timed my marathon to perfection. Bring on the tasks Babeh

Enjoying it so far. All contestants have a bit of personality and backchat. Jack Dee in the first task was great.

Weird observation, but they're all on armchairs this year. Probably helps, they all seem very relaxed sitting there.

I was thinking that the armchairs might be that they have to accommodate Rosie to ensure she doesn't fall, and it would be a bit weird if she was the only one with one.

Enjoyed the show, don't know Andy or Emma at all, so didn't know what to expect from them, but they were all entertaining.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was thinking it could be because of Rosie, but at the same time, it kind of works. I think the rest seem more relaxed and at ease compared to the other way.

Solid opening giving I had quite low expectations for who's taking part.

Andy and Emma were highlights!

Very good first episode and as first episodes go, it was one of the better ones. Everyone made a good impression at some point. Emma will be great this year.

Live task a bit meh but the rest of the show made up for it.

Emma and Jack Dee were excellent. Lot more studio interaction compared to last season, thankfully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Zaltzman with the zingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Live task was rubbish and very lobsided to whoever goes first (Rosie got lucky and had 2 goes).

Yeah they never seem to learn from the live tasks that can end prematurely. 20(?) drinks, some of which I would say would have been funny to see someone drink, and they got through 3. Was a complete dud.

In fairness, even with 20 drinks that's 9 prime numbers I think. Rosie just got incredibly lucky both guessing what the clue was and then picking the right prime number. Maybe if they'd made it that you had to drink on the first turn regardless and then could ask for a clue from your second turn, that would have been better. But it's also something you might only see in hindsight because again, Rosie got bizarrely lucky.

There's been a couple of live tasks like that in which Alex has indicated they anticipated it to take longer..

.. I think the predict higher or lower decibels task a few years back comes to mind.

Since it's a live task, recorded and in the bag.. they can't really do much about it if it doesn't work or doesn't play out as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They could re-do a live task or drop it and record another. But they don't.

Obviously it would effect the overall result (who actually cares?). I wouldn't see it as any different to the known fact that some of the recorded house tasks don't ever make it to broadcast for various reasons (boring, identical approach etc).

Advertisement