Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,206 ✭✭✭✭km79

Never in doubt :D

Can’t bate them enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭HBC08

Never happier to be wrong.

Roscommon are a shambles.

Mayo should have hammered them which is a bit if a worry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Enjoyable day at the game, another cracking day weather-wise on the Hyde and a decent win. I thought we were generally the better side but never put them away (similar to the games in Connacht). Mclaughlin excellent. McHale was v good, hope he can continue with that form. Poor day for Aidan, couldn't make anything stick. Mchugh was good.

Anyone know why Boland was sent off?

ROD took a nice few steps for our peno in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Refs generally seem to reset the step count when a tackle occurs. An unofficial rule?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boosabum

Shoulder to the head it seems, lines man/woman spotted it

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Just replayed it there on the Sunday game, you can see why it was given- no great intent I think but contact was made

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Bad result for the hurlers :-(

3 quick fire goals for Donegal won them the game..…can't say I know enough about Mayo hurling to know if this result was expected?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭ballina1953

hope they leave off some of the major players for dublin match no point in risking injuries will have a home venue for the extra match anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I wouldnt personally; I dont think a hiding versus Dublin now helps anyone

• Advertisement

Still no announcement re: the Dublin game 🤔

Anyone going to Ennis on Saturday for the Minor game?

It's my back up plan if I don't manage to be get Munster final tickets..…the other alternative is Limerick Vs Tipp in the Tailteann Cup but no sure if I could endure that tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭BandMember

Ocean FM have tweeted that it's in the Hyde, would be a total surprise if true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭muddle84

Do you really think an intercounty setup like Mayo is going to do that against the best team in the country? These lads are the best we have, they want to be playing the best. Do you really think ROD would be happy to sit on the bench against Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭muddle84

Mayo GAA have it on Facebook now. The Hyde it is!

Happy enough with the Hyde, the playing surface is top notch. Won't particularly suit me with two young kids on the terrace but we'll head in early to get a decent enough spot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭flasher0030

They should still have the €5 tickets for kids?? Ya? It's seating all along both sidelines I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Compo82

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭flasher0030

ok. Ok Sorry. I thought the people across from us on Saturday were seating. Off to specsavers with me.

Have tickets alright (bought the 3 match package) but they said when buying that the tickets would be terrace rather than stand (not GA like it was last weekend for some reason)

• Advertisement

Ahh feck..... really thought it was going to be set for Limerick.

Missed out on Munster final tickets too and also just found out that the Limerick v Tipp Tailteann Cup game is going to be in Rathkeale (!!) rather than the Gaelic Grounds.…not a good day for a Limerick based Mayo football (and part time hurling) enthusiast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

Was hoping for Tullamore as it would have been handier for me, but a Sunday afternoon game wouldn't have suited me in any case. RTE it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭fire_man

Do Mayo train in Mchale Park and is it an open session?

I haven't been to the Hyde before and was planning to bring my 7 year old, so will probably have to get in the stand for her to see anything. Safe enough an hour / hour an a quarter from past experience, or should we aim for earlier?

There's supposedly 9k seats on that side of the ground now.Weather will dictate things a bit,only the top 15 rows approximately are actually covered,they stand only runs a little more than half the pitch .If you want them I'd say at least an hour before throw in.If it's just a seat in general and you're not too bother about halfway line etc I'd say 20 mins beforehand and ye would be fine.

Thanks! Once she can see what's going on, I'm not too fussed!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

You will get a seat somewhere if you are in anytime earlier than 20 mins before throw in, All seating now has a decent view.

Anyone with young kids go that side and if weather is decent go down the front close to sideline, Not the best view been pitch level for adults but ideal for kids as they can mess about and watch the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭crusd

I know that stand doesn't run the lenght of the pitch but it really does show up what a massive cock up they made with the stand in McHale Park. Massive debt and you still get pillars in your view. The stand in the Hyde is a credit to Roscommon

The cantilever part of that stand was built in 2002 and was seen as a massive cock up and half arsed job by Roscommon at the time.It only runs about 60% of the pitch and only covers the first 15 rows approximately.

The recent works had nothing to do with the major infrastructure of the stand,they just replaced the concrete benches at the front with plastic seats.You can't compare that cost wise to building a 10k capacity stand from scratch in MacHale Park.

I'm not disagreeing with you totally here as they have made a great job out of Hyde park on limited,self raised funds.Also,the biggest calamity of recent Mayo GAA history has not been the All Ireland losses (or the poles in the stand) but the financing on the stadium.

That debt is a millstone around the necks of clubs and Mayo GAA for the next 50-70 years (depending on your sources) Anyway you look at it,it's the next two generations.

Nobody will ever be held to account for this.

On a more positive note we now have 4 very comfortable, fit for purpose,suitable capacity,modern (by GAA standards!) stadiums in Connacht.Its nearly the full compliment of 5 but Carrick needs more investment after significant works there about 15 years ago.

As a province Connacht now has the best stadiums for its needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Westernview

Both Hyde and MacHale stands both have significant flaws/limitations IMO. The limited cover for the Hyde Stand will be an issue on wet days even with crowds of a couple of thousand. The poles in MacHale park are generally ok where you are only looking around 1 of them but the 2 poles close together in the centre is a major design cock-up. I took a seat behind that area before a league game and had to move down as far the the 21m line where the view was much better.

Having said that both are huge improvements on uncovered concrete seats of the 1980's.

Advertisement