Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2023-24 UEFA Champions League

1373839404143»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Ah in fairness the fella very helpfully gives updates throughout the entire season, every single round of results - allow him the catharsis of putting in the final result at the end of it all, even if we know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

thats fine, but he shouldn't be favorite for the ballon d'or.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Is it 5 with Spurs and now 1 with Real for Modric? 😜

was surprised to see that and that no one really seems to care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Dortmund fans not happy about it, had a big banner out at this game too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Best ignored because it doesn't fit the narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I just looked up Modric and the funny thing is in his honours chapter it has paragraphs for Dinamo Zagreb, Real Madrid & Croatia. But nothing for Spurs.

I kinda like Spurs but its telling really.

True enough… not been a lot of stand outs this year so far though. 19 goals in 28 games in La Liga is pretty decent, and plays for one of the faves for the Euros, which definitely counts towards him in the odds. Always harder for players outside Europe (Vini Jr), or not qualifying for the Euros (Haaland, Odegaard), to win it. So in terms of odds, it probably makes sense he's right up there (particularly since it probably also factors in Brits betting on him). I'd probably have Mbappe favourite, under the assumption France will go far.

• That doesn't make much sense in fairness. Kind of like everything you write in here. Usually about some team being lucky is all I see.

15. Christ, it really is mad. Seems like only a blink ago that such a big deal was being made about the 'Decima', and they've gone on to win half of all the CL finals since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Apparently, the last and only manager to beat Real Madrid in a European final was Sir Alex Ferguson with Aberdeen in 1983.

crazy, 6 in the last 11. sky have been talking for years about PL teams dominating europe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The new format looks a bit daft.

Like the World Cup and Euros, way too bloated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

I thought the new format would give us lots of original ties, and it might. I dint read the small print about the "tennis type" seedings later on in the tournament. Seeding is one of the biggest scourges in all sport, guaranteeing the maintenance of the elite.

turn off the TV, the circle jerk continues 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just caught up on the plus 1. To be honest I enjoy when teams grind out results when not playing well. That is what proper winners do.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Oh and Joanne Cantwell in studio and Darragh Maloney on commentary had great games. They had to think on their feet plenty of times during the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

15 titles, can't have won so many with luck, Franco and the Spanish goverment. Got to hand it to them, serial winners. They have it bred into them to win, so no surprise they do it even when under the cosh at times.

They are excellent to watch, have exciting players and were nowhere near their best tonight, yet were comfortable enough for a lot of the 2nd half. When you are on top of them like BVB were in the 1st half, you have to take your chances.

I think most of the hate stems from their success. It was the same for Utd, for Liverpool when Klopp turned them around and now for City. People generally don't support successful teams, they grow to hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Bob Paisley's Liverpool beat Real Madrid in the 1981 European Cup Final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Real Madrid are a horrible club, always have been, their name and crest is a signal of that.

They rode their luck big-time again last night. Dortmund players were booked for nothing. Real players seemed to have immunity apart from Vinicius Jr's booking in the 1st half. You can't tackle a keeper like that, regardless. He could have been sent off for a second bookable offence, for his later dive, that wouldn't you know it, sees a Borussia Dortmund player booked instead.

The lads in the studio were saying the referee would want to have some nerve to send of a Real player, and a major one at that in a final. And others here were defending the Borussia Dortmund players being booked for protesting. Where were the protests when the Real players weren't booked for their protests?

Camavinga got away with 2 blatant yellow card offences and had a rant. But that's OK. Carvajal went down after a phantom foul, had the game stopped, then had the audacity to slap the BD player's hand away who had done nothing wrong, when he tried to reach out a peaceful hand to him, and had a whinge at the ref as well. But again, it's OK, because he's wearing a Real Madrid jersey.

Yes, Borussia have themselves to blame for their loss, wasting glorious chances, but the referee played his part too. There wasn't consistency, not even close, and that was his job.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The ref was poor but it want remotely as poor as you stated. And Dortmund's best chance would been chalked off by var anyway, he was offside.

The better team won..you're a broken record

So Madrid won because of the ref?

People need to catch themselves on. They won because they took their chances. They could have had 4 in the 2nd half. Dortmund missed their chances in the 1st half, that's how games at this level are decided.

People annoyed by a badge? I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Funny old game football at times you’d think it’s almost scripted, the underdog on top at the start not taking their chances and are duly punished as the game goes on, a tale as old as time.

Boring to see Madrid winning another, hopefully the new format shakes things up a bit but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The new format is going to reward the bigger teams who can players and will remove a lot of the jeopardy in the early round imo.

They already had the new formats put in FM24 (Football Manager Computer game, they had it done for all European Competitions). Took me while to get used to it.

From playing that I can see the new formats will cause a mixture of more excitement for the weaker teams and cause more dead rubbers for the stronger ones.

Teams fighting to get in top 8th proper from the group stages to avoid a play off will have plenty of excitement. Likewise the teams fighting to get into the 24 teams to have a chance in the play off round.

Each goal scored or conceded could make a huge difference to some teams. Hopefully it will improve weaker nations overall in time, by getting more games Irish teams in the European Conference League etc

I haven't even studied how the new format works. I guess I'll find out when it all starts up again.

Did anyone watch the UK coverage last night? (I watched rte).

Wondering what they said about Bellingham? Although he has been brilliant for madrid this season, he has been bang average in the knockouts for them, and even not great in the league of late. He has had a real dip in form, and I think he looks knackered a lot of the time. But tnt sports are so far up his backside, I doubt they'd say he was poor. They probably focused on his amazing assist rather than the certain goal he should have scored.

Doesn't bode well for England if he carries that into the Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I am not that stupid I am just finishing off what I started is that okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I think they are using that seeding as a way to keep teams playing for a higher spot in the league stage, think of the play-offs where 3V6 and 4V5 so the play-offs will be 9V16 and 10V15 so the higher you finish the "weaker" the team you face will be. After the play-off round the team who finished 1st will play the lowest ranked team that made it through the play-off round and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Doesn’t Mbappe play wide left same position as Vinicius? Mbappe was playing more central for PSG in recent games but he’s not as effective in that position. Wonder how they’ll fit the two of them together.

Mbappe’s been central most of this season, and still been pretty effective. There’s room for them both with a bit of interchanging alright I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Bellingham has been tracking back very deep to help out his team and when on attack he's taking the ball a good bit outside the box and laying it off. When it mattered he provided the assist for Vinicious jr's goal. He had a shot which was going in only for a defender getting his foot to the ball before it hit the net.

He hasn't been the same attack wise as he was but he's putting in a lot of work all over the park. If Madrid were better defensively I think you'd see a lot more from him up top.

I watched BT Sport last night. Before the game they were all about him but once the game started they didn't mention him much outside of when he had the ball or was defending the player in possession.

Is Mbapoe definitely going there? Like Vini, Bellingham, Rodrygo and Endrick is a ridiculous front four, if he comes in there's somebody that won't be happy.

Definitely going to be a task to keep all those 4 happy.

I would expect Endrick to be a bit part player based on his age. And I could see Rodrygo leaving, which would be a big call for them to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

But the seeding is only based on how you performed in the league stages. With 24 qualifying out of 36, they have to keep some benefit to finishing higher in the league for the teams who start well and are safely into the top 24 with 2 or 3 games still to play.

The good thing is you get to play 8 different teams and everyone will play two of the top seeds (hopefully they will have the top seeds play each other early) and once you are into the league stage, there is literally no advantage for the higher ranked teams compared to lower ranked teams. So it’s a fairer format that the previous one.

In rugby, the move to a similar style has turned a really exciting group phase into a pretty boring one, but the CL group stages had probably gone a bit stale anyway, so worth giving this a try.

• Advertisement

I rarely watch a group stage game unless I'm sitting in front of the TV with nothing to do which isn't very often.

I don't think there's any way they could jazz it up to attract more viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Delighted Madrid stuffed that lot other night. Pity wasnt more.

Guys like Carvajal don't get enough credit. Forgetting about his goal the other night, I love watching him play. Such a dogged git.

I wasn't a fan of Rudiger before but he's been great this season.

Yeah Carvajal is imo the best right back in football and has been for a few years now. I love watching him play, he works so hard and is so dogged as you say.

He never gets the credit he deserves as you say, maybe because he's in a team with a lot of big names.

• Advertisement

Plus for a dogged right back, he gets forward so often. He's not seen as a flying full back in the style of Carlos, but he is really.

He'll be hard to replace when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Was there at Wembley Saturday night and besides the result it was an absolutely unbelievable experience!

Both Camavinga and Vinicius Junior should of walked in the first half and the ref really was a total bottle job!

As we all knew that all the Donrtmund misses would comeback to haunt them.Still really disappointed that Madrid won.

The Dortmund fans really created some atmosphere and kept going all night and not one of them left once the match was over.Still clapping and singing for their players.A truly wonderful club.

Seeing Klopp on the big screen during You Never Walk Alone had me teary-eyed!

Highly recommend it if anyone ever gets the chance to go to a Champions League Final!Really is an unbelieveable experience!So happy that I was there!

I was delighted for Carlo Ancelotti and Rudiger. I like Real Madrid and have no real affinity for any German team.

Been at 4 in my time but my last was 20yrs ago, its now that difficult to get tickets for them, it's such a rich man's game now.

But would agree, they are amazing experiences to be at. They'd be even better if Uefa gave more than a quarter of the stadium to each sets of fans. It was sad to see the red VIP seats around the halfway line mostly empty 10min into the 2nd half. People at the biggest club game in world football and no interest in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Def agree that more of the clubs fans should get tickets alright.

Without the Dortmund fans it wouldn't of been half the spectacle being honest.

Madrid fans were very quiet until they scored.Prob cause they are so used to winning stuff!

Definitely gonna try my best to be in Munich for the next one but I know it will be a tall order!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Madrid fans are the prawn sandwich brigade of Spanish football. They only get going when they're winning. Even their ultras are quite reserved by Spanish standards.

Advertisement