Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

In fairness, we don’t have a clue what motivates players to stay or leave

A second string guy might want to stay and fight for his place because he believes he’s good enough and just needs a break to establish himself.

Saying a player like that has no heart or motivation is unbelievably harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's also very outdated. Professional players in Ireland by and large are well educated, well advised individuals. They make decisions with their brains, not their hearts and that's part of the reason they've made it to the level they're at.

As I posted above, Harry Byrne ended up in the Irish 23 in the 6N this season from his position with Leinster. Does anyone think he'd be in the Irish 23 if he had been first choice for Connacht this season? That's his current frame of reference. With all due respect to Harry Byrne, he isn't a guy that is going to transform the Connacht performances and drag them up the table, thereby forcing his way into the Irish frame again. There's a lot more wrong in Connacht right now than their outhalf.

And, if he's discounting Irish selection from the equation, I'd imagine a move to England/France is potentially more appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Post edited by Podge_irl on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Matt Hansen and Bundee Aki are examples of lads going well at Connacht.

For me, a massive massive thing for a 10 is game time. It's not an attritional position, you need to have experience of how to manage games and play senior rugby.

Schools, U20s and youths are not nearly as tactical - you don't play against as many teams who can slow it down, master the dark arts and really analyse the cr*p out of your own team.

Ross B is a good player but in my view it's really easy to look good in a Leinster team and you see his limitations when he is under more pressure. Ross is a safe sub to have bring him and don't do anything crazy to loose a game.

Frawley we don't know. We haven't seen enough of him at 10 to really know what he would be like under pressure. It's annoying because he has a broader skill set than either of the Byrnes but for some reason never really given the chance.

Harry has shown he could be a liability under pressure. And if anything he would really do well going to Connacht because if he could develop his game so that he can manage his play better when his pack is struggling then he is potentially international level.

For me, I'd have Frawley starting. Byrne sub. Prendagast - down for 50% of games as either starting or subbing depending on who we are playing.

And Harry goes to Connacht for a season. IF he grows there then he displaces one of those 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

What is the broader skill set Frawlay?

Why is he better than the Byrnes?

Sorry I see this posted all the time but never see anyone actually explain why he is better, just vague statements and nothing concrete.

At a minimum, he clearly brings it to the line much better than Ross. That's been evident for awhile now, and seems pretty concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

For me, Frawley is a better all-round rugby player - more dynamic with ball in hand, better passing, more aggressive in possession, a bit more unpredictable. I think Ross is very competent with ball in hand but when he receives the ball from JGP in the line, it's guaranteed to be passed straight through - whereas with Frawley there's a better chance of go-forward ball, offloads and/or taking the defenders on. Also, Frawley has much more pace.

That said, Ross is a better kicker (both on the pitch and from the tee) and outside of a few blips here and there, is largely rock solid on that front.

Team I'd like to see for tomorrow

1. Porter
    2. Sheehan
    3. Furlong
    4. McCarthy
    5. Ryan
    6. Doris
    7. Van Der Flier
    8. Conan
    9. JGP
    10. Ross
    11. Lowe
    12. Osborne
    13. Henshaw
    14. Larmour
    15. JOB
    16. Kelleher
    17. Healy
    18. Ala'alatoa
    19. Molony
    20. Baird
    21. Foley
    22. Prendergast
    23. Ringrose

I'd agree with a lot of this. Defensively, I'd add I think Ross is stronger in the tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I don't think anyone could possibly argue against Frawley (or frankly, a particularly slothful badger) being better ball in hand than Ross Byrne. But his decision making from 10 and his organisation of those around him just isn't up to it. I remain utterly convinced everyone is just playing placeholder for Prendergast anyway, only question is for how long

Hansen and Aki did go well in Connacht, undoubtedly. I'd consider them very different propositions though. Hansen is the sort of guy who is going to make things happen even if things aren't going well for the team. Aki is a world class player who broke into the Irish set up when Connacht were in a very different situation.

I just don't see Harry Byrne as someone who will make the impact of the above guys unless he has good ball given to him which isn't being generated currently. On a good day, HB is going to look top class with front foot ball and lads like Cordero and Hansen coming off their wings to link with him. On a bad day, he's going to be given slow ball with a defender in his face, do his best with it but probably still make some errors and overplay it a little. Not hugely different to Carty but with potentially a lower error count. If he goes there, I think the probability is higher that he becomes closer to the current Connacht level than bringing the Connacht level up.

It's never going to happen but the guy who would probably benefit Connacht the most by far is Ross Byrne. He's far more of a pragmatic player, demands more of those around him (note him absolutely bollocking James Lowe in the Champion's Cup final for f*cking up his line on an attacking play) and will drive standards. He's also pragmatic and has a very low error count which is something that has killed Connacht this season. But it ain't happening ever, unfortunately.

He definitely does, but if that was the skillset we wanted from a 10 all the time then we'd pick Robbie Henshaw at 10 and be done with it.

The Molecast did a good piece on him lately analysing some of his games this season, and his propensity to carry in silly situations and to hit rucks too frequently, and when you look for it it's very clearly there. They highlight a sequence of about 8 rucks in the final 10 mins of the European Cup final where he at one point he hits 3 rucks in 90 seconds. Obviously on the day Toulouse were making a mess of Leinster's ball, but as the 10 you still have to be cognisant of the need to stay out and shape the attack. A lot of the same was evident in the Sale game in Europe earlier this season too.

He seems to struggle to play a strategic, structured game, and I think this is what the Leinster coaches are seeing frequently on the training park when they've unquestionably given him opportunities to run teams from 10.

He's suited to the bench cover role particularly if Leinster are chasing a game because he can bring more tempo to the attack and is a running threat, but I just don't think he's viewed by the coaches as having the all around game of a 10.

Ok but thats in comparison to Ross.

In terms of Harry I would say he has those advantages over Ross but has more speed than Frawley and is better with ball in hand.

Harry problem seems to be down to the odd error in a match.

Ross is superior to all of them I agree in terms of kicking, the blips are very few and far between and only really the Northampton game in recent memory.

Now if you look at that, you are Leinster and have Ross who is a better kicker and an experienced option who can run the team and bring them to finals. Then you have Harry who IMO is better than Frawley at the things that Frawley is better than Ross, you end up in the current situation.

It has now come to random fans just saying to give Frawley a chance, not really because he is exceptional or massively better, just seems to be someone new at 10. Going back to the stuff we see with people claiming XYZ should be given a start for Ireland because they think it will automatically make them better because they play a game or two. Which IMO is just nonsense.

For some reason the Byrne brothers seem to get a very unnatural hatred from some in the rugby supporters, it was mostly coming from opposition fans for years but can see it now creeping into some Leinster fans, including some people putting a conspiracy theory together that Byrne's father has some link with leo and that's why he only plays them :-)

Now this might sound bad, but it's not, I like all of the players and want Leinster to keep them all, but to me Frawley is the backup to Keenan at 15, can cover 12 and can cover 10 if required, great if Leinster want to play a 6/2 bench but not a player who is going to start at 10 for Leinster next season in a semi/final of Europe. Now I could be wrong, but thats my opinion

Ya, look, I'd never suggest that's all you want from a 10. But the suggestion was there was "nothing concrete" which clearly isn't the case and I'm sure you'd agree with.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

There was a very good set of graphs pulled together by a journalist online of various metrics of the top end outhalves in club rugby this season on their carrying game. As expected, Ross Byrne's numbers were quite low. He carries less than every other outhalf and a fairly solid number of his carries (about average) are into contact.

But what was interesting was the try involvements per carry. Whilst he's making less carries, his % of try involvements is quite high. Essentially a try is scored for every 10 of his carries which is only behind Libbok and Carter Gordon in terms of percentage. That, to me, suggests that he's a very decent organiser and decision maker in attack, with a good read on when to pull the trigger. I don't think the other guys are as good at that, partially from lack of time in the jersey but there are some guys that are just naturally adept in those areas and I don't get the feeling that HB is (Sam Prendergast seems a bit more of that type though, from the little I've seen).

But there's no doubt that his lack of carrying has to have an impact on the overall game plan i.e. committing defenders, creating space on subsequent phases or requiring attention. I think that's where LAR f*cked up and made RB look like an excellent player. They went after him. I found it odd that they said that was their plan and they'd do it again if they played the game again. He's a good player with good hands. He was able to get the ball away and put others into space. He's also very slow. Let him have the ball. He's not going to hurt you with his legs. Teams that stifle Leinster sit off RB and lock down his options, forcing him to sit deeper and kick or go into contact.

Oh, 100%, don't get me wrong, I wanted him on the field in London about 15 minutes earlier (at least) than he was introduced, but I think this issue of the 10 shirt has been there for a few years now (who was to succeed Sexton) and the Leinster coaches haven't simply been oblivious to Frawley and his evident skillset.

There obviously has to be reasons for why they don't trust/rate/back his ability to manage the team from 10, and I think it's for the reasons I gave above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Yeah here is where he has a limitation.
    Nearly all 8 forwards are more likely to make a line break. His passing is also predictable and a little slow for an elite out half.
    Doesn't matter when the rest of your team are dominating but it does when they aren't. Actually thought against Toulouse we had dominance but not enough for his limitations to be noticed. So those 5m touch kicks he missed - they did end up mattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You could sayvtheyve failed to replace sexton. Another way to look at is they gave Ross a full season to show his skill and develop as the undisputed 10 when fit. The season isn't over and Ross could yet be the 10 in tge team that wins the URC, their first trophy for 3 years.

I think they should fast track Prendergast now, but I don't necessarily think it was the wrong decision to give Byrne a chance. Giving him a chance to run the team from 10 for the season (including tge Champions Cup) was the only way to properly test him.

Now they know his limitations in a fair trial.

he had that chance last season IMO.

its time to move on, though I doubt it will happen.

• Advertisement

You posted above that Frawley has a broader skill set, I did ask for clarity. You just responded to someone else post saying they are right and that Ross is predictable and slow but it didn't actually matter in the Toulouse game :-)

Not sure about the 5m touch kicks he missed? when did he miss touch or you talking about the distance of his kicks not long enough? Which if you want to nitpick was Sexton biggest failing in the last few seasons which would suggest it is a tactic rather than just two seperate 10's not pushing the distance on touchh kicks.

So maybe the broader skill set from Frawley over the Byrnes?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭conquestscarer

The 1st option for a 10 when they catch the ball is to carry it. Ross Byrne doesn't have that option and it means teams are baiting him to do it. It essentially makes whatever moves we have defunct as the opposition can fan out and cover all the options. He's been found out, it's time to move on IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's not quite time to move on from Byrne. He has his limitations and at this stage of his career he'll never get over them. Athletically he's average at best and it's too easy for defences to drift off him as they know he rarely carries.

But his kicking game is the best of any 10 in Ireland. Against Toulouse he put up some brilliant high kicks which we regathered for huge territorial gains. He's the most experienced 10 we have and still the best for the moment.

Yet he has got them to a final two years in a row and wasn't the reason Leinster lost

The games we lost in the URC was Ross part of any of them?

Team for tomorrow…

Is Ringrose even real anymore?

Shame to be missing Conan off the bench. Prendergast on the bench too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Team is out.

5-3 split with Prendergast and Frawley benching. Conan injured and still no Ringrose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bye bye Harry…

The Ringrose 'return' (or lack therof) is so strange.

Two hours ago, Leinster posted the below picture…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Prendergast making the squad for knockouts, lovely stuff. His gametime at this point is far exceeding any other Irish player of his age group, no that the media will point that out.

• Advertisement

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets)
    15. Jimmy O’Brien (80)
    14. Jordan Larmour (106)
    13. Robbie Henshaw (90)
    12. Jamie Osborne (46)
    11. James Lowe (79)
    10. Ross Byrne (160)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (140)

1. Andrew Porter (120)
    2. Dan Sheehan (62)