Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard a discussion on local radio this morning, and they were advocating for a German style system where you have to attend a training course to own certain dog breeds.

If this was mandatory, then it would certainly lower the amount of dangerous dogs in ownership, cos there is no way the skangers are going to attend a course. Then again, nothing to stop them not attending the course and buying a dog anyway. Considering how laws are enforced in this country.

Last night for example when I see that unmuzzled pitbull, had I went to the local Gardai station to report it, I doubt they'd have done anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

That poor kid in Wexford should have been enough for action to be taken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Yip, outrage at the time, then we moved on to the next bit of news. It'll happen again with this death as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭briany

Absolutely should be banned, but we all know that their banning would only make them more desirable to the kind of person who'd be wont to own one in the first place, and that the Gards would barely enforce such a law anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

You shouldn't be allowed own a dangerous dog for the same reason why you shouldn't be allowed own a gun.

Ban the stupid things, easy win for public safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,027 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

You are totally unapologetic for not picking up your dogs **** cos it's in grass on top of a weed. Did I read that correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,566 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

as some have suggested on here, that child should have been trained how to interact with the dangerous dog wandering around his estate

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭susan678

I am quoting this post I am not responding to the poster.

Dog owners have shown themselves to be very stupid and very selfish and the above post is a prime example trying to engage in meaningful conversation is beyond pointless.

Dogs are meant to be on a leash and dangerous dogs in my opinion should be banned but failing that by law they should have a muzzle.

What I teach my children is the world has a lot of a**holes and if they see one of these dogs get out of the situation if they can.

The poster above uses the word dummy parents I would say a mirror is required.

Don't let beasts that can tear a person to bits especially children out loose without a leash and muzzle.

Anyone who cannot comprehend the above is a dummy.

Post edited by susan678 on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah I get what you’re saying - what hopefully is different now, is the number of XL bully recorded attacks in UK since February 2024 (about 17) - on a per capita basis, were likely to see a few more here in Ireland dependent on ownership numbers - this isn’t going to go away by ignoring it -

• Advertisement

And that poster called other people dummies this is the level of stupid we are dealing with from all these dog owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Looks like it was the owners it attacked so a bit meh about it tbh. If you are foolish enough to own these yokes then you should be prepared to deal with the events that transpire including your possible death. As long as it's not innocent members of the public or other animals getting attacked then it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

You do realise that youve contradicted yourself in the first two paragraphs? Teaching children how to have manners in public, how to respect and treat animals correctly also includes teaching them how to interact with animals including dogs.

Like, teaching your child respect also includes teaching them not to pull a dogs tail, or it's ears two very sensitive areas on a dog that disrespectful children often pull and tug at. A child that has been thought respect won't do that to a dog, or cat, or any animal for that matter.

And before you ask I have two children, two dogs, a cat among other pets. My two kids have always been around the dogs. They have always been thought how to treat the animals correctly and have never been allowed to treat them incorrectly. So yes I have thought my dogs how to behave in public and private but also my kids how to interact with all dogs. I don't understand how anyone can expect a child to understand how to treat an animal correctly if they are not thought by their parents.

I totally agree with this statement however I don't get any kind of pleasure from such news I am sure these people have loved ones who will be devastated.
    Stupid people need to be protected from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

I get no pleasure from it either Susan but if it's choice between some innocent child/man/woman/another dog or the people owning these monsters then i'll be picking them each and every time. Live by the sword etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ferpederine

Again I totally agree when I heard the news I thought the same thing at least nobody innocent got attacked but that was just chance.

Stupid people are a danger to other people and themselves.

The local radio discussion I heard received numerous texts to say, "no such thing as bad dogs, just bad owners".

This seems to be a mantra peddled by the supporters of owning dangerous breeds.

That young woman in Limerick appeared to be an amazing owner. She molly coddled her dogs, spoiled them, treated them like children, yet they still killed her. And that is someone they should have seen as kind. Imagine what they'd do to someone they got spooked by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭batman_oh

That's the mantra, it's like a weird cult line they trot out. These dogs are abominations, and unfortunately largely attract the exact type of yoke that shouldn't have them because of the traits they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,693 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bulls​hit. The lack of cop-on by dog lovers and their fantasies about there being a fool proof way to prevent agression by dogs and that it can always be explained by blaming humans, is a mental disease.

Your victim blaming is not welcome and neither is your facile opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,947 ✭✭✭✭anewme

By interacting with dogs - I mean here treating dogs with respect and not approaching them or leaning down on them /encroaching into their personal space without asking. You might call it having manners in general - I call it common sense. As a dog owner, the amount of people who let their children approach strange dogs of all sizes is staggering.

Parents who allow their children to approach strange dogs and lean in to pet them or pull at them or whatever are totally in the wrong.

If a parent/child asks - can he / she pet your dog, the answer is always yes and both dog and child love it.

If a child approaches uninvited and leans over the dog or pulls at him, I will tell them to stop. I will always advocate for my dog.

I might be going off topic as this is a general "dog" conversation rather than an XL Bully one, but same applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

If these dogs could be trained somehow to only eat members of their own family, then I would be all for them.

If the dogs killed only sons and daughters, or maybe the the odd niece or nephew that call round for a visit, then this might be a good thing.

More Pitbull's I say..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Crakepottle?

I've had a lot of dogs since childhood. Big, small,of various breeds . None of them ever bit anyone or hurt another animal. Yet I would never trust any dog not to act out of character. That is where size matters. You can stop a smaller animal however out of control, before much damage is done. I have seen a dog walker kick two Jack Russels to separate them. Not a pretty sight, but it worked and they both emerged uninjured. Nobody should have a dog in a domestic capacity that they cannot physically overpower. RIP the young woman in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Frumy

These 'dog lovers' need to asked if they care about dogs why do the pick the one breed that is almost 100% guaranteed to be inbred in Ireland leading to defects like partially sighting/partially deaf/mental health issues/deformities etc etc

They could easily buy a pure bred with papers but nope they want a inbred XL bully that is never the full shilling. How is that caring?

They are participating in a industry that trots out defective dogs for pure profit.

This is exactly what I was talking about.

Dogs should never be off the lead in places where it says dogs must be on lead and I avoid those places myself. I will never let me dog loose in one of those public "dog parks". He would be terrified.

Some people are afraid of dogs and that is an issue, everyone should be able to enjoy public spaces both dog owners and people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭yagan

The people who acquire such dangerous dogs seem to do so not because they like dogs.

I'm sorry for that young woman's family, but there's a bit of voting for leopards about her personal decision.

Not really sure what you mean here by a "mirror."

I am a dog owner and my dog is always on a leash in public. I dont go to places where people let their dogs off leash when they should be on leash - that is not fair on others.

No where in my post have I advocated for "beasts out loose" or dogs who are required by law to have a muzzle and be on a lead -so perhaps lay off the overblown drama.

I reiterate - when I am walking my "small" cute dog, I have been approached by children running up uninvited and just leaning over the the dog, putting their hands into his face and once or twice pulling on his tail. This is irresponsible parenting - and to use your words "stupid and selfish".

A good example to use would be a rescue dog who is reactive and perhaps has not had the best start in life. I often see them wearing a harness with "nervous dog" or "give me space" written on it - that is responsible dog ownership in my view and letting children or adults approach in cases like this is definitely a selfish dummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ferpederine

There are asshole parents / kids and asshole dog owners / dogs. All of those things are true. What are you even trying to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm not a child but love dogs and my golden rule is to put out my hand and let the dog have a sniff first. Even sociable dogs can be in a bit of an unsociable mood so I leave the choice up to them whether they want to approach or not.

Advertisement