Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike question

Options
  • 05-06-2024 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭

I have a nice gravel bike and also have this that I bought 18 years ago. Its grand, using it as a commuter bike and for maybe 30k-50k cycles. I dont really do much more than that on either bike.

https://99spokes.com/en-EU/bikes/trek/2007/1500

Anyways - i have the BTW coming up in Jan. I was thinking of getting a new Road bike - budget probably 1500 to 2k.

But then I was wondering, will be it be any better than what I have already…..

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

The limit is €1,250 for standard (ie no-electric) bikes, so no-go for you up to 2k.
    My own is only four and half years old but there are niggly issues so I'll probably replace it when I'm eligible again. Yours would seem well past replacement date to me, especially if it uses brake blocks - disc brakes were a revelation to me the last time I replaced, especially in wet weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

The limit for the tax break is 1,250, but you can top that up as much as you want, you just pay tax on anything over the 1250.

Whatever about an 18 year old bike, I'd be hoping to get more than 4 or 5 years out of a bicycle...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

As mentioned - can top up.

Well past replacement date but why?

Disc brakes better than brake blocks - yeah I guess, worth paying a grand for that alone…?

Another way of asking my question is - if I get a new bike, what will be different in a 50k or 100k cycle. I think a similar Aluminium frame bike priced at around 1500 euro I wouldnt really notice any difference between the new bike and the bike I have, apart from the disc brakes.

To see a material difference I'd probably need to go carbon….

Just wanted to see what others thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

Really, only you can answer that. And, regardless of what we all tell ourselves, the main reason we get new bikes is because we'd like a new bike.

So, if you'd like a new bike, go for it. If you wouldn't like a new bike, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Unless you want to shave 2.5 secs off your time over the 50k spin, use what you have and treat yourself to an extra slice of cake at the half way stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭p15574

Wouldn't be scrapped, I'd pass it on to my son, who already annoys me to use it!

Actually - that is an excellent reason to get one - young fella is almost my height now. (He thinks he is taller).

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

If I was in your shoes I’d be modernising the Trek by updating the groupset, wheelset and handlebars.
    €500 should be more than enough to upgrade to 11-speed with a decent wheelset that would make it feel like a new bike. As long as the frame and fork are good…

• Registered Users Posts: 36 abmoto

I am riding a bike myself, which is coming up on 17 years old now. And it is a Trek. Almost every component has been changed/upgraded other than the seat post and frame over the years. It is as solid a commuter as you can buy, and higher-spec components (that I eventually moved to) work and make it feel great (not as great as a new bike, but you get the picture). I moved to Mechanical disks (since the grame/ fork supported it).

Having said that, I got a new road bike, BTW. But the way the market and industry are now, you do not get the best specs for the BTW budget. I suggest buying the best frame and fork on the bike over the components since they will wear out, and you can upgrade them as you see fit. Just make sure the frame is future-proof (kind of) if you want to keep it for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I'm not sure with today's prices that this option is as budget friendly. A Tiagra groupset is close to 450 alone, no? Wheels, handlebar, saddle, bar tape, pedals would bump it more.

I'd be thinking you might need closer to 750.

• Advertisement

Cheers- agreed, I had to get new handlebars tape rear tyre last week, that alone came to €120.

As it happens, the spokes on the bike went loose this week and LBS saying wheel might need replacement soon. All things considered, new bike makes more sense.

Next decision is a circa 1500 price bracket alu frame or circa 2200 entry carbon frame - will depend on how rich I am feeling at the end of the year. BTW obviously reduces the price.

Thanks all for the responses, much appreciated, very helpful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

spending say 2k on a new bike - you're looking at ~€1350 of your own money (the €1250 on btw will end up costing you roughly €600 of your own money, plus the €750 top up)

you could probably get a decent bike secondhand for not much more than half that outlay? your trek is probably not worth much more than a couple of hundred quid as a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I did it myself with a similar era Trek and certainly didn’t spend anywhere near 750.
    11-speed Shimano parts are going cheap second hand at the minute and there’s also the option of going Sensah or similar.
    €300 for a Shimano 105 groupset (maybe Ultegra if lucky). €150 for wheels. Assuming pedals and saddle were fine. €50 left for bits and bobs

Yeah point taken, I bought a superb second hand MTB for my son for less than half the original price and it was only 6 months old.

Having said that, I think when BTW is on offer you have a lot more control over what you buy; when you buy off adverts, its what is available, you dont (in my view) get the same chance to really test it and obviously its not new so no warranty, and your not 100% sure what you getting.

An additional point favouring what you said though; on adverts, a lot of sellers put very little value on accessories - they are are selling the bike and pricing it according to what the bike cost; but locks, lights, stand, mudguards etc can come to a fair chunk of change too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ah you never said second hand. Personally if I'm going to overhaul a bike then I'd use new components but you could be lucky on used parts if you look and get quality but hard to come by from what I see on adverts.

In regards the OP, I'd but a new bike as the bearings or touch points might also need replacement which brings the cost further along. A nice modern Trek with Tiagra would be a lot nicer imo.

Advertisement