Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

Where did I say I wouldn't have the ability to charge at home?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Sorry for the confusion it looked like you were saying it suits your need perfectly when I said it's not sensible to pick a PHEV without home charging.

For what it's worth the way I can see it going in our house is the next car get swap out will be the auld diesel probably for a phev. Our petrol is still very new and economical so by the time we think of changing that there'll be a lot more EV options and probably better charging infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,252 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sounds reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭creedp

As I've said before PHEVs will provide a useful stepping stone for many who have some concerns about moving to EVs. Should be encouraged especially when the alternative is another diesel. Friend of mine drove 520Ds for years but was skeptical about the move to EVs last year so instead bought a 330e and is delighted with the electric only drive train. Charged everyday and covers the majority of local driving on electric while still having the peace of mind of the ice backup.

I've no doubt it will be full electric next time around. Success story in my book

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭quokula

Was just out on a grocery run and radio nova was on, don’t know the full context as they were mid conversation when I turned on but they were talking about general environmental stuff, recycling, bee friend gardens etc, then they turned to EVs and immediately the host started blurting out the usual fossil fuel industry talking points - range anxiety, it’s impossible to get from Dublin to Galway in even the longest range EV apparently, hybrids are better for the environment, Toyota’s hydrogen cars are just around the corner, hydrogenated vegetable oil has none of the disadvantages of EVs so that’s also a better option. It’s utterly depressing.

Range anxiety is real, and was always a consideration before general media enthusiasm for EVs switched to hysteria.

Another consideration is simply having to deal with wasters who'll treat charging bays as long term parking. The early adaptors generally wouldn't be so inconsiderate, just like in the early days of the internet when most users were super helpful.

There's a two pump shop near me that I generally avoid because seanie will be discussing who's dead now with Maura in the shop while a queue forms out onto the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

it’s sickening.
    It’s almost as if there’s an agenda in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Toyota’s hydrogen cars are just around the corner…

I worked for a large Toyota dealership many many moons ago and they had just launched the prototype hydrogen vehicle. Hydrogen was just around the corner back then. In 10 years, it will still be just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭electricus

They’re burning it now

This vehicle is not some new-fangled electric car – it is a Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine Vehicle (HICEV).

https://pressroom.toyota.com/the-familiarity-of-sound-sensation-without-all-of-the-carbon-toyota-refines-its-hydrogen-engine-corolla-concept/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

I can see hydrogen being an option for large good vehicles.. but can't see it taking off with cars… hvo is an interesting one though.. seems like a silver bullet solution.. how much pollution comes out of an exhaust running it?

Much less pollution with HVO. But there so many other issues with HVO it's not considered a viable replacement for all ICE fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Where are the holes in my story? Care to explain your comment in greater detail?

The low power kettles work, but will blow the fuse if used with the TV, or obviously the gas hob ones

I think you're getting caught up anyway in the smaller detail. The reason for the PHEV is to be able to do long journeys and long holidays in a mobile home without worrying about charging.

I recall they were fairly well "over it" with the events in Douglas Shopping Centre, the Freemantle Highway and McDonalds Newbridge those times. Freemantle highway also had a lot of misinformation that was being well broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭innrain

Range anxiety is over inflated. Last weekend I had a wedding in Connemara. I drove from Dublin, used 2/3 of battery one way. The hotel had 6 or 8 chargers I can't remember. I plugged in, had my night out and after breakfast drove back home using again 2/3 of the battery. 500 km not a minute of anxiety. In the last 5 years I drove on average 30,000 km a year. Again not a sweat. There are so many examples of such drives on this forum but we still consider EVs hysteric. Here is a good one. Did any of the mainstream media talk with Thomas?

It's not an issue for those who've made the switch.

It's an consideration for those who haven't.

Honestly I don't know why early adaptors can't appreciate that not everyone thinks like them.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

We have chargers in work, great option for reps and people without home chargers. They have been offline all week. Head of facilities doesn't rate EV s, thinks it's a scam and has no interest in fixing the bay of 8 chargers. It's this type of person fooled by the bull in the media that will ruin it for everyone. No doubt people in local councils and government bodies and in positions similar dragging their heals on infrastructural projects because they are gullible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,120 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

because people spend too much time fretting about something that in a lot of cases won't be an issue.

You say you'll change whem infrastructure is better, but you haven't yet said how often you expect to use that infrastructure.

At the actual tailpipe the emission reduction is fairly negligible from what I've read - there's a study here that puts it at a 4% reduction in conclusion, though it's complicated and varies with ambient temperatures and other testing parameters and ratios of different emission types vary too.

The headline figure that gets advertised is often 90%, which is when you compare the entire supply chain before arriving in your fuel tank versus that of oil, and in particular consider the CO2 that gets sucked out of the air by the plants that are grown to produce the HVO. It's also a waste product of the food industry so it's recycled - though this of course means that CO2 was being pulled out of the air regardless of the HVO being produced or not so there's some creative accounting going on there in my opinion. The other issue is that to do it at mass scale there isn't enough waste product out there so it would need significant land use that would be better for the environment if left to natural vegetation.

I think it has a place to help in the transition and could be a long term solution for keeping older vehicles on the road, but probably not a mainstream future solution.

• Advertisement

People can choose who they want to take advice from. Those with experience or those with none.

If you want an EV that requires no change in habit or mindset. Just buy an ICE then you don't have to change anything.

No one's being forced to buy an EV or PHEV. You can buy and run a ICE same as you always could.

As far as I can tell EV range anxiety is much higher among people that don't drive EVs than people that do.

As I said repeatedly if we go down the Phev route we'll have home charging for local travel. Then the occasional long trip we'd have the tank of petrol to fall back on. We won't even have to think about recharging on the go.

I bet i won't be alone in choosing that configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Workplace charging is receipe for resentment and annoyance. In my old workplace (public sector and fairly toxic) when the idea of workplace charging was raised a few years ago, the reaction from senior decision makers was "shur we don't provide diesel pumps for staff so why should we provide chargers".

Even if chargers had been installed, guaranteed that some of or all of the following problems would have occurred

-awkward and selfish individuals hogging the chargers and nobody tackling them over it

-morons manging to break the chargers through roughness and clumsiness

-chargers not maintained/fixed because the person assigned the role didn't want the job or give a sh*t as he drives a diesel himself

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Having workplace chargers is an essential ingredient for increasing buy in, apart from nighttime, work hours are most common time when a car is not in use and can be charged without inconvenience .

The habits and technical issues you highlight although currently valid are easily changed

Resentment is normal, no need to not do something

Easily changed?

You've never working in the public sector so.

If by we you mean you, then buy what you want.

Not entirely sure what you're point your making or how is relevant to the topic title.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

"No one's being forced to buy an EV or PHEV. You can buy and run a ICE same as you always could"

For now you're not forced to but in 10 years time you will be, and this causes resentment towards EVs.

EVs have their place but in decades to come a huge percentage of people will be denied the opportunity to drive at all because of the ICE ban. This is probably the real plan all along, with the climate emergency nonsense used as the excuse, and the public can sense this.

There would be a lot less anti-EV sentiment if the ICE ban wasn't there and EVs were seen as an alternative that would suit a lot of people's needs. 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your not allowed buy new gas boilers for new builds either. There’s no resentment towards HP owners.

Just more hand picked FUD.

• Advertisement

Worry about that in a decade not today. If it happens. Which isn't likely. Nothing stopping someone from buying a diesel to day. They should do that instead of complaining about EVs they don't have to buy.

Advertisement