Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Apparently even on these numbers Reform would not win a seat.

All they'll do is hurt the Tories even more

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Apparently even on these numbers Reform would not win a seat.

Which, while in this specific context, is very funny it is a serious, serious problem with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,061 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

100% agreed. An awful, unfair system. Reform suffer on one side but the Greens and Lib Dems suffer on the other. Not to mention the 2 large parties being stuffed full of people who really should not be in the same party as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

76% of seats on 45% of the vote.... How anyone can stand up and with a straight face and call that a democracy is beyond me.

If it were to be that bad just maybe it would finally open the general publics eyes to how broken FPtP is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,578 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How in the hell can 495 seats not be a genuine majority. It's absolutely insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sunak left the D day commemorations early to do a TV interview!

If the likes of Trump, or Corbyn did that there would be howls of protest and claims of unpatriotic and not caring.

But hardly a word when Sunak does it.

Yet another insight into the character of the man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It is slowly seeping into media I think.

I struggle to understand the depths of stupidity you have to be capable of to think that that was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

A lot of right wing commentators are fuming with him though, saying it was the 'height of disrespect'. They take their WW2 commemorations very seriously in Britain.

And so do the demographic he's specifically targeting, sure they all think they themselves were on the beaches that day despite being born 20-30 years after it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Part of the upset is because the interview he recorded for ITV is part of a series with the various party leaders that ITV will be broadcasting in a couple of days time.

In other words, this wasn't a urgent do-it-now-or-miss-out interview. ITV asked his office to suggest a time to record the interview; they suggested this time; so it was their choice to miss out on the Omaha Beach commemmoration, rather than something else, in order to do the interview — it wasn't something forced on them by a unavoidable diary clash.

As others have pointed out, lots of demographics wouldn't mind very much about this, but the demographic he is focussing all his attention, and all his appeals, on is largely made up people who will care about this. Other issues aside, it does point to monstrous ineptitude and tone-deafness on the part of him and his advisers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sunak has issued an apology.

As one comment mentioned, he wants to force young people into doing voluntary service but can't even stick around to pay respect and honour those that gave their lives to protect Britain.

I don't believe it's just tone deaf. Sunak comes across as a person who only cares about himself and what is beneficial to him. Every decision he makes is about what he thinks is best for him.

Whatever chance he had of turning things around has been destroyed by this crazy decision. What an absolute own goal.

It turns out Sunak originally was not going to attend at all. He had informed Paris that he too busy to attend. A compromise was that he would attend part of it.

So the guy had to be forced to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,578 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They probably are when you think of the amount of culls that party has had and how far down the pecking order Sunak was to be PM.

All the smart advisors are long gone or working with smarter MPs who are packing it in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't believe it's just tone deaf. Sunak comes across as a person who only cares about himself and what is beneficial to him. Every decision he makes is about what he thinks is best for him.

Nobody whose combined personal wealth amounts to £650 million is in a position to either relate to or should be able to control the fates of a country's people; it's a level of wealth that simply detachs you from anything resembling reality. As it is with the whole "elect CEOs to run our country" argument, so it goes for people with near unimaginable wealth to their name.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think it's worse than this.

His wealth means that Sunak just expects things to happen for him as he desires without having to work, learn or otherwise exert himself. As a result, he believes himself to be a charismatic problem solver instead of the deeply cynical, acquisitive individual the public rightly see him as.

Were it not for Liz Truss, I'd say he's the worst PM in decades. Johnson at least had the good sense to leave the actual policymaking to someone else while Theresa May at least put in the work, for all her myriad flaws.

Sunak behaves as if his mere presence should be sufficient. He attended the D-Day celebrations so it's fine for him to leave when it suits him. We should have been grateful that he even found the time to attend at all.

It means nothing to him at the end of the day. What should have been an easy PR coup has been turned into something tawdry. It's easy to say that politicians don't care but this is about as close to proof as I can find.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

He seems strangely disinterested in the whole PM thing. You'd wonder who on earth is advising him though : legging it before the main 'international' commemoration of D-Day yesterday was a terrible look.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is probably one of the few things that Sunak could do to piss off their last remaining solid voting cohort.

An self-inflicted wound of epic proportions , created as you say by a complete lack of understanding/connection with the real world and the staggering levels of Hubris that the Tories are famous for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have no idea why he's bothering. They've been in the pit for months. He's known all this for at least a year and he's still tried to go through with it. My only explanation is that his sense of entitlement is such that he was actually arrogant enough to think he could turn things around. Now, his pitiful excuse for a legacy, the smoking ban, isn't even happening.

Yeah. Brits, particularly older Brits LOVE their World War 2 story. I'm not sure this will translate into lost votes but it's an ugly, ugly look for Sunak and it's also an entirely self-inflicted wound. As cynical as Johnson was, he'd have made damn sure to be snapped shaking Macron's hand, chatting with Biden and entertaining the veterans. Easier political capital is harder to imagine.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

This will benefit Lib Dems if anyone. Them kind of old School D Day celebrants would rather burn in hell than vote Labour.

Yo know the type, stiff upper lip, remember when Britain was Great. The Empire.

All that bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,531 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Even though the soldiers they memorialise mostly came home and voted Labour in 45.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have no idea why he's bothering.

Because "former PM Rishi Sunak" will guarantee a bunch of doors open, and consultancy or appearance fees will suddenly triple by being a former PM. If Truss can cream it without any discernable talent or experience on the job, so can Sunak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It is the Lib Dems that are the ones to take the few remaining seats off the Tories. Labour should win back the red wall and northern areas they lost in 2019 as nothing has changed for those that leant Johnson their vote. And as you mention in the areas where it will really hurt them, the areas south of London is where the Lib Dems are the obvious choice for opposition in most areas.

So this is a double whammy, it alienates the older voters and in the areas where they are going to be hurt the most as well. If they keep this up I can see them being lucky to win 50 seats.

For a mere mortal like Johnson, this makes sense. Sunak is richer than the King and he was already well connected.

H. H. Asquith

One thing I don't understand at all is why Sunak didn't want to be photographed with Macron, Zelensky, Biden, Trudeau etc. It would have been good PR for him.

Just saw a video of the memorial stuff that rishi missed, literally ever other countries leaders are present, he hasn't a clue how to do politics whatsoever.

There's always more money to be made I guess. Who knows, but it does always seem like the super-rich exist for more power and wealth like it's a drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Seems like Sunak's handlers knew well in advance of the schedule. That's to be expected. So, he had planned to leave early and did. Why apologize, amiright? Last commemoration for so many D-day veterans, and the UK is mad for their vets, and he leaves early. Amazing.

LBC's guy suggested it was a "Brewster's millions" type of game, where Sunak's wants to lose in order to accumulate massive wealth at the end, by betting against the Conservatives. Even Sunak wouldn't be that thick…I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

That's a bt far fetched. He's just massively out of touch with a big dollop of no cop on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think we have to consider, if this continues, that he will lose his own seat at the election. The interview he gave to explain this has made it worse. He just kept repeating meaningless statements and showed no contrition. He is cooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Has such happened before, sitting PM losing his own seat?

• Advertisement

He was Chancellor though. That'd have been a great point to just drop out and ship off to California. I've heard it claimed that he called the election now so he could get his children into a prestigious Californian school in time for term start.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement