Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car hire US

Options
  • 06-06-2024 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience of renting a car in the states. The difference between going direct or through a 3rd party is staggering. Hertz, avis etc are quoting near 2k for 16 days but the likes of uscarhire.com are about €700 for the same period including zero excess . That price difference would make you wary, is it actually genuine. Does anyone have any recomendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭skibum

I did a 3.5 week one way car rental with www.drive-usa.de last september, went with a full size SUV ( Jeep Grand Wagoneer), worked out at approx €88 a day with full insurance / zero excess. Rental was through Alamo. I'm glad I went with them as they have full coverage in their quotes, over the 4,000KM I had two no fault incidents, which resuted in damage's to the car.

When I dropped it off in las vegas the guy recorded the damage on his phone, I asked if I was going to hear any more, he said no, I was fully covered. Happy day's.

Going to use them next september for another road trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

uscarhire are absolutely genuine, used them on previous trips to Florida, actually was on their site last week just having a look for next year just out of curiosity as plan to only use Uber in Orlando, when I take into account rental cost, fuel, theme park & hotel parking charges, Uber will be cheaper overall for our trip

Rental costs have increased significantly since covid no doubt but uscarhire are my go to & safe to use & as you’ve pre purchased all the insurance, there is no upselling when collecting the vehicle, they are often positively mentioned on the Orlando forum on tripadvisor,

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

I thought €700 for 16 days was very cheap considering you get an extra driver and zero excess and a full size car. Im not sure how anyone books through the main players with the crazy prices they charge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Rented a car for 6 days last month, cost €274 all in.

https://www.gotrentalcars.com/

If you're dropping back to the same place have a look at Turo. Like an Air BnB for cars.

https://turo.com/

it’s a very good price, personally if it was me & based on my experience of using them three times in the past, I’d be happy to book, I’ve selected Dollar once & Alamo twice with them, no problems with either although if no significant price difference my preference is Alamo as you can skip the counter & choose your own vehicle from the line

Just so we’re talking about the same site, this is who I use

https://www.uscarhire.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

Yep, thats the one. Im going to be in Texas but its giving me options for Dollar and Alamo on the booking form. Im going to go ahead and book with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

Its all down to algorithms and agreements. The 3rd party probably has a bulk agreement to sell at certain rates at certain times in advance (book quickly). Hertz/avis may have had that rate available 4 weeks ago, but in reality most fo their business is contract rates with companies and 3rd party sites

€700 is good and about right. I've hired a Seat Teraco for friends coming here in Sept and cost for 3rd sept - 17th sept was €715 renting from Dublin airport and that was with Enterprise who tend to be amongst the better priced of the main hire companies

just to add, all my experience with them was out of MCO only, they also have a sister site for villas in Florida that I’ve used three times, fourth time next May again all without issues & they were very responsive with any questions via email, never had to call them, they are based in Kissimmee Florida & somewhere in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭GeneralSherman

Do all cars have Sat Nav as standard ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Advertisement
Advertisement