Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭jmreire

There's been a lot of posts on here about the Russian invasion, but that post saying that the Azov battalion was responsible for the Boucha massacre is the first of its kind (to me anyway) and they being the real power in Ukraine is news to me. Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭CorneliusBrown

“What's your point? They're culturally and geographically closer to Russia therefore we shouldn't be so hard on the Russians for invading them?”

I’ve traveled in both countries, I support Ukraine’s right to self determination and independence. I think the war is thoroughly ghastly. But I also think this thread is thoroughly ghastly too. Hopefully the first two hundred pages have been permanently consigned to the dustbin of history (and the vanishingly small contingent of regular posters here with even an average IQ level are probably secretly happy their obnoxious vitriol has vanished also). Why, because of the bottom of the barrel racist and cultural-supremacist tropes that have littered it since inception. My point, a great many of the revolting things said about ordinary Russians and Russian society in this thread would apply to Ukrainians too. When you laugh at Russians being ignorant, or poor, or describe them as a miserable lesion on the face of humanity you forget that the guys you support have far more in common culturally with Russia than they have with us. I’m pointing out the speciousness of the cheerleaders here when they routinely cast appalling aspersions about Russian people as a whole. Do you understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

There are two ways to approach conspiracy theorists

1. Debunk them by exposing the nonsense and hope they see light as @Wibbs and others done over last few pages, good job there and we endup with informative posts
    2. Pour oil on their theories so the conspiracy memes burn up faster under their own contradictions and scepticism, by causing a short circuit in the messed up brain wiring, just look at what happened to all the trumpets after January 6th, they are afraid to go out as they think everything is an FBI sting, or even this time last year where Wagners drive to Moscow was met by jubilant Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I understand, and happen to agree with a lot of that. I just think your previous post does a poor job of conveying it, being pretty much out of context in terms of the current discussion. You'll also have to accept that your viewing of Russians and Ukrainians on your travels were through the eyes of an outsider, where social and cultural differences will often be missed as a result of a lack of immersion in those societies. In the same way that so many Americans see no difference between the Irish, English, Scots or Welsh. Or the way we can generalise Thai, Cambodian, Vietnamese etc and 'South East Asians'.

I'd be very wary of conflating ignorance on this thread with any argument veering towards 'really Ukrainians and Russians are more or less the same'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Virgil°

But I also think this thread is thoroughly ghastly too

Ah the old calling out raping, murdering bands of invading forces as scumbags makes us as bad as them canard. I 've never subscribed to that kind of brain falling out of your head moral relativism myself. But if it makes you feel above it all then go ahead I guess. We'll get over your disapproval somehow I reckon.

My point, a great many of the revolting things said about ordinary Russians and Russian society in this thread would apply to Ukrainians too. When you laugh at Russians being ignorant, or poor, or describe them as a miserable lesion on the face of humanity you forget that the guys you support have far more in common culturally with Russia than they have with us.

The overwhelming point to be made though is Ukraine are not fine with either being invaded or the principle of invasion and genocide as a means of politics on the world stage. A point that Russians by and large have not taken to the streets to condemn. The point that both countries have poor people and are slavic in culture is not one that is primarily being used to deride Russia.

In essence the whole conflict is about Ukrainians wanting to be less like Russia and more like us. They're dying and shedding blood for that right to self determination. And keeping the Russians busy while we prepare our crumbling defense base. And you're somehow surprised that we empathize with one side more than the other? Like ….. really?

I’m pointing out the speciousness of the cheerleaders here when they routinely cast appalling aspersions about Russian people as a whole. Do you understand?

Oh we understand fine. We just think you're wrong. You want to point out how this conflict is much more a both sides thing and we should somehow feel bad for cheering on Ukraine and intellectually dishonest for deriding Russia. It's a point that's been made and debunked hundreds of times on the thread you claim you've read from the start. It's neither interesting nor unique by now. Do you understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭randomuser02125

I know a family of Ukrainians locally who spoke Russian primarily but won't any more, count themselves as Ukrainian and not one bit Russian, who love and miss their home region dearly, who are anything but Ukrainian nationalists, who despise Putin, who dislike Zelenskyy, who get a kick out of laughing at Kadyrov's tiktok army making videos or, better again, getting wiped out, etc. Nice people who aren't cartoon baddies or heroes. I would wholeheartedly welcome Russians like that. I've only known 3 in my life and they were nothing like that.

Post edited by randomuser02125 on

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭scottser

Well, that was then and this is now. I imagine whatever cultural ties Ukraine had with Russia have long since been cut, given Russia's attempt to murder and subject Ukrainian citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Which respected analysts have given the Ukrainian figure?

I've heard the Russian figures been quoted by Ukraine, the US and the UK, but very little on the Ukrainian figures, bar the official figures that were released by Ukraine themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,456 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you have to admire the rank hypocrisy of being upset POTUS called out Republicans during a diplomatic visit, as if there was ever this “waters edge” norm during the last administration or his network ever called him out for same. Even in this administration Doocey and Fox leave unchecked violation of this “waters edge” by Republicans either when they themselves are overseas such as in Israel etc or when Biden is

https://www.mediaite.com/politics/peter-doocy-snarks-on-bidens-blaming-us-conservatives-for-delaying-aid-to-zelensky-politics-used-to-end-at-the-waters-edge/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭green daries

AGAIN🤨🤔🫣🫣🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

I've seen it on Vatnik posts on 'X' and it likely originates on Ruzzian media (they also accused MI5 of being behind it). It stands to reason they'd resort to False Flag nonsense considering its popularity as the explantion of last resort when claims that the hostile media faked atrocities strain credulity. It probably rang a bell with the Qtipper community that live in a world of false flags from 9/11 to Sandy Hook. As for Azov, likewise. Claims that a Jewish president is a Nazi looks ridiculous to all but the most fervent Putinbot and it's difficult to explain how a Ukrainian governing party singularly lacking in far-right figures are fascists. So, best to resort to the default explanation and one tailor made to appeal to the conspiraloon cohort (who espouse this belief fervently in the American context). Ukraine is REALLY run by shadowy nazis behind the scenes, fascist puppetmasters manipulating and intimidating Zelensky and his government: the Azov ''Deep state'', if you will.

That and the guys who actually fought the Nazis 1.0 love Zelensky

I don’t think the Russian trolls realise just how stupid the whole “Ukrainians are Nazis” angle is making them look as for three years now we have Russians marching under the Zwastika and every day becoming not only similar to the third Reich in just about every respect but worse due to modern tech

This whole Nazi business is strictly for home consumption. Even if few if any Russians who fought in the war are alive now, it's still re-enacted each year with the annual parade, and continues to be taught in the school's (Putin's version, that is!!) None the less, it would be hard to find any home in Russia without pictures and medals hanging up on the walls in prime positions depicting family members who had fought in the Great War. So while it pretty meaningless for us here in the west, for Russians it still very emotive, a fact that Putin has used shamelessly to encourage hatred of Ukrainians and the west, and as a justification for his invasion. Even so, that excuse must be wearing pretty thin by now, even amongst dedicated Russians.

Certain party who're scapegoating immigrants, used a stock photo of a Russian model on a poster saying "It's up to The Irish People to fix it".

• ⁠Cropped variant of the poster image: https://www.shutterstock.com/image-photo/eyes-woman-close-freckles-face-395115934
    • ⁠Other photos from the same model: https://www.shutterstock.com/search/models/15385339
    • ⁠Stock photographer is based in St. Petersburg, can see her work on Instagram and VK

" I'm guessing the Redd Cross never inspected that POW camp." Well, sarcastic or not,12 posters liked it, so it made an impact. The problem that I have with it is that it implies that the Red Cross could have visited the POWs but didn't by choice. And that's as far from the truth as you can get. Now if you had said " Thats one camp the Red Cross were not allowed into." And that puts a whole different perspective on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I've never witnessed such an outpouring of barely concealed racism and xenophobia by Irish people as we've seen in the last 12 months. For the entirety of our history we prided ourselves on our open mindedness, fairness, welcome, sense of justice and empathy for the downtrodden, borne out of centuries of oppression and subjugation by a colonial power who we liked to look down on for their society of inequality, imperialism, racism and ignorance. Well here we are now. Dancing like puppets to the tune being played by foreign agents seeking to sow seeds of division in Western society. The irony would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Yeah, sometimes I don't word good. I don't believe for a second they'd comply with any kind of international inspection, and even if they did it would be some sort of Potemkin camp with smiling POWs in clean surroundings and not a protruding ribcage in sight.

Yes, and bright and cheerful POW's smiling and humming along to background music as they worked away at their daily tasks…..the kind of place, you wouldn't want to leave, in fact. But try coming back after the official visit is over……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,118 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I've done my part. Gave Mick Wallace the 23rd of 23* preferences in the European elections.

I hope the good voters of Dublin see fit to give Clare Daly an equally low preference so that we'll finally see the back of the pair of them.

*before someone chimes in with I shouldn't have given him any preference at all, giving him my final preference is effectively the same as no preference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭thomil

That reminds me of a story that I heard back when I was a teenager living in Prague. My school took us to Terezín, or Theresienstadt, a fortress town north of Prague that was turned into a concentration camp after the Nazis occupied Czechoslovakia. According to our guides, during the war, the ICRC announced that they would do an inspection of the camp. The Nazis went all out to make Theresienstadt seem like a model camp, just a “normal“ town, even organising an orchestra and the like. They even made a propaganda film about it. But no sooner had the filming concluded, or the ICRC delegation returned, that many of the inmates that had been filmed were packed into railway cars and deported to the likes of Auschwitz. That is at least what I remember, my visits were nearly three years ago.

I visited Theresienstadt twice while my family lived in Prague. I haven’t been to Auschwitz yet, although I want to do that eventually. I see it as my duty as a German to face our history. However, while I don’t doubt the horror and evil that infuses every square inch of that place, I just can’t get over the duplicity and insidiousness of Theresienstadt. The wholesale genocide is pure evil as it is, but how sadistic do you have to be to play such a charade?

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭briany

Combat Veteran Reacts on Youtube is saying that Putin accidentally let slip that current Russian casualties is running at 20,000 a month, with 5,000 being killed and a further 15,000 being injured to various degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,485 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

23? Showing off are we? We dont all have half an hour and a fold out table to lay out the ballot paper to do that!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I actually had to fold it in 2 and flip it back and forth to mark my preferences. My locals had 16 on it so combined it was easily the longest that it's ever taken me to vote.

I've lived in Russia and in Ukraine also, and no way would I blame all Russians for what's happening in Ukraine. I speak to my Russian friends regularly, and have several outstanding invitations to come and visit, which I plan on doing as soon as the war ends. But also, within Russia, there's many different cultures and demographics at play. Ukraine is one such case. They see themselves first as Ukrainian, with their own language and Culture, and not as Russian. Same as many of the Republics, Chechnya being another example, where for sure, you do not call them "Russian". And now Ukrainians see themselves as European rather than Russian. But if you managed to cross from rural Ukraine direct to Rural Russia, there's no way you would be able to say for sure if you are in Ukraine of Russia, going by the land and housing. And why would you? both Countries are ex USSR. But even since 1991, in the Ukrainian city's and towns, they have markedly improved living standards compared to their Russian counterparts. Remember all the fuss about the invading Russians being both surprised and shocked at the living conditions of the Ukrainians? indoor plumbing, state of the art TV and internet ect. ?? If Ukraine is not yet fully "divorced" from Russia, the process has now been fully accelerated by Putin's invasion. And the EU is waiting with the welcome mat rolled out, because they see Ukraine as being a part of the EU and Europe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Whatever about the other points, and some are debatable, our open mindedness? That's a helluva stretch, or a rose tinted rear view mirror. Imho that's a memory hole even the Kremlin would be proud of. Though the difference is unlike in Russia and similar we can debate and question and criticise such prettying up of our history.

Maybe you've forgotten the five odd decades after our independence when we were too often an extremely small minded parochial and clannish quasi theocracy of petty corruption, shouting pulpits, squinting windows and whispers? Where johnnies were illegal, as was being Gay, even info on abortion was verboten and unmarried mothers buried newborns in fields, or ended up in baby homes, or a midnight ferry to Albion was in play. That crap didn't get sorted until the 1990's or into this century. Never mind we were part of that colonial power in a few ways.

Remember the Vietnamese "Boat People" crisis in the 70's? We had to be pressurised to take some in. And when we did? A couple of hundred. Welcoming indeed. Post war Hungarian refugees got short shrift too and were transited out as quickly as possible. Much more recently, the Syrian refugee crisis? Look up how many we took in. You might be surprised. Other groups were marginalised too, the Travellers an obvious one, and they're the same colour, blood and creed as the majority. And you're surprised quite the number might be concerned about significantly greater numbers of what look like welfare tourists showing up illegally?

So I'm not the least bit surprised at xenophobia rearing its ugly head. It always does with multicultural western nations at a certain point and it did long before "foreign agents" came along. it seems it's part of the human condition so it's not as if we had to magically learn it.

Kremlin spin or foreign agents aren't nearly that good. We've all seen how farcically shíte Kremlin spin, yet at the same time they're so good at moving public opinion? Eh.. no. Oh sure they'll seek to take advantage of anything that's advantageous to them, just like the CIA et al, but that's about it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Does that mean you voted for the far right candidates ahead of him? Sorry to be nosey, but they may be even worse.

• Advertisement

I had them just above him.

There's more chance of me being hit my lightning 10 times tomorrow than those preferences coming into play so I felt safe putting him dead last.

My ballot is probably going to transfer no further than my #3 preference. 99% chance it won't go past my #12. 0% it gets down to the dregs in the twenties.

Advertisement