Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Increase in Anti-EV Media Articles

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The low power kettles work, but will blow the fuse if used with the TV, or obviously the gas hob ones

I think you're getting caught up anyway in the smaller detail. The reason for the PHEV is to be able to do long journeys and long holidays in a mobile home without worrying about charging.

I recall they were fairly well "over it" with the events in Douglas Shopping Centre, the Freemantle Highway and McDonalds Newbridge those times. Freemantle highway also had a lot of misinformation that was being well broadcast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭innrain

Range anxiety is over inflated. Last weekend I had a wedding in Connemara. I drove from Dublin, used 2/3 of battery one way. The hotel had 6 or 8 chargers I can't remember. I plugged in, had my night out and after breakfast drove back home using again 2/3 of the battery. 500 km not a minute of anxiety. In the last 5 years I drove on average 30,000 km a year. Again not a sweat. There are so many examples of such drives on this forum but we still consider EVs hysteric. Here is a good one. Did any of the mainstream media talk with Thomas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭yagan

It's not an issue for those who've made the switch.

It's an consideration for those who haven't.

Honestly I don't know why early adaptors can't appreciate that not everyone thinks like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

We have chargers in work, great option for reps and people without home chargers. They have been offline all week. Head of facilities doesn't rate EV s, thinks it's a scam and has no interest in fixing the bay of 8 chargers. It's this type of person fooled by the bull in the media that will ruin it for everyone. No doubt people in local councils and government bodies and in positions similar dragging their heals on infrastructural projects because they are gullible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

because people spend too much time fretting about something that in a lot of cases won't be an issue.

You say you'll change whem infrastructure is better, but you haven't yet said how often you expect to use that infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭quokula

At the actual tailpipe the emission reduction is fairly negligible from what I've read - there's a study here that puts it at a 4% reduction in conclusion, though it's complicated and varies with ambient temperatures and other testing parameters and ratios of different emission types vary too.

The headline figure that gets advertised is often 90%, which is when you compare the entire supply chain before arriving in your fuel tank versus that of oil, and in particular consider the CO2 that gets sucked out of the air by the plants that are grown to produce the HVO. It's also a waste product of the food industry so it's recycled - though this of course means that CO2 was being pulled out of the air regardless of the HVO being produced or not so there's some creative accounting going on there in my opinion. The other issue is that to do it at mass scale there isn't enough waste product out there so it would need significant land use that would be better for the environment if left to natural vegetation.

I think it has a place to help in the transition and could be a long term solution for keeping older vehicles on the road, but probably not a mainstream future solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

People can choose who they want to take advice from. Those with experience or those with none.

If you want an EV that requires no change in habit or mindset. Just buy an ICE then you don't have to change anything.

No one's being forced to buy an EV or PHEV. You can buy and run a ICE same as you always could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭quokula

As far as I can tell EV range anxiety is much higher among people that don't drive EVs than people that do.

As I said repeatedly if we go down the Phev route we'll have home charging for local travel. Then the occasional long trip we'd have the tank of petrol to fall back on. We won't even have to think about recharging on the go.

I bet i won't be alone in choosing that configuration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Workplace charging is receipe for resentment and annoyance. In my old workplace (public sector and fairly toxic) when the idea of workplace charging was raised a few years ago, the reaction from senior decision makers was "shur we don't provide diesel pumps for staff so why should we provide chargers".

Even if chargers had been installed, guaranteed that some of or all of the following problems would have occurred

-awkward and selfish individuals hogging the chargers and nobody tackling them over it

-morons manging to break the chargers through roughness and clumsiness

-chargers not maintained/fixed because the person assigned the role didn't want the job or give a sh*t as he drives a diesel himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Having workplace chargers is an essential ingredient for increasing buy in, apart from nighttime, work hours are most common time when a car is not in use and can be charged without inconvenience .

The habits and technical issues you highlight although currently valid are easily changed

Resentment is normal, no need to not do something

Easily changed?

You've never working in the public sector so.

If by we you mean you, then buy what you want.

Not entirely sure what you're point your making or how is relevant to the topic title.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonage

"No one's being forced to buy an EV or PHEV. You can buy and run a ICE same as you always could"

For now you're not forced to but in 10 years time you will be, and this causes resentment towards EVs.

EVs have their place but in decades to come a huge percentage of people will be denied the opportunity to drive at all because of the ICE ban. This is probably the real plan all along, with the climate emergency nonsense used as the excuse, and the public can sense this.

There would be a lot less anti-EV sentiment if the ICE ban wasn't there and EVs were seen as an alternative that would suit a lot of people's needs. 

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your not allowed buy new gas boilers for new builds either. There’s no resentment towards HP owners.

Just more hand picked FUD.

Worry about that in a decade not today. If it happens. Which isn't likely. Nothing stopping someone from buying a diesel to day. They should do that instead of complaining about EVs they don't have to buy.

Well I think it's relevant in discussing the thread topic. I'm adding why having kicked the idea for the last two years in our household we're holding off full EV adaption but can definitely see it happening for us in the long term.

Fear of ev technology is not an issue for us. If anything it's knowing there's a whole load of cheaper EV and phev options arriving is having me pause.

I follow an Oz car review channel and they're getting way more exposure to whats coming out of Asia than we have at present. It's only heating up.

Well the media might be playing into people feeling ticked off after their resale value fell, which may be contributing to the EV sales contraction we're seeing.

They'll add in range anxiety, which is not a consideration for early adaptors and enthusiasts.

• Advertisement

Even in 10 years time, you will have second hand ICE cars for probably the following 5-10 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

It's not about thinking one way or another, it's about using common sense and logic. The irony of common sense is that it isn't that common.

Range is not an issue for EV owners, but it is perceived as an issue for those who don't own an EV! Surely those with actual experience are far better informed than those who are merely speculating.

This is what irks EV owners but it's symptomatic of modern society - people think they are more informed than those who are actually informed because they have a little information. It doesn't matter if that information is right, once it aligns with their perceptions. If I want to know about something, I ask people with experience because experience always trumps theory.

My brother has an ev, suits his and family needs perfectly, but he'll still take their ice car when visiting me at the other end of the country.

I guess that influences my thinking.

Early adaptors are most likely to have factored in their needs, as another poster said they used logic and reason.

An impulse EV buyer suffering fomo might discover that an ice car was more suitable.

…a huge percentage of people will be denied the opportunity to drive at all because of the ICE ban.

How so? It's not a car ban, it's a ban on burning fossil fuels to propel the car. You can still drive a car… just not an ICE.

I remember the smoking ban and how people got up in arms about it. It's hailed as a success now. Sometimes the government needs to ban something for the greater good.

If you don't believe in climate change, that's your view, but tailpipe emissions are real and cause pollution at a local level. Exhaust fumes contain carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide, and benzene; all of which are harmful to people (this is how people commit suicide by putting a pipe from their exhaust pipe into the car and shutting the windows).

I was responding to this because it's bonkers.

It's not an issue for those who've made the switch.

It's an consideration for those who haven't.

Just an fyi, I use our ICE when traveling to my friends in Sligo or going on holidays in Ireland. It's nothing to do with range though. Our ICE is a 7-seater X Trail so it suits our needs better as there is far more space and it has a towbar that I can hitch our bike trailer to… I don't have a towbar on our EV.

That's got nothing to do with early adopters. That's just not doing your research before buying something.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

The PHEVs come with their own set of problems like that the EV range may not be enough for grand majority of the medium lenght trips you take. They also usually suffer from worse efficiency on the EV mode than pure EVs and still require servicing the ICE part whether they are used or not so the running costs tend to be higher. Also if the ICE is not used regularly this can lead to issues like moisture build-up in the engine and internal corrosion within and also demanding sudden high loads from a dormand ICE may be mechanically bad for it. On some models the heating does not work in the pure EV mode and if it does it may hit the range quite a lot due to a small battery.

So it's not all compromise free in the PHEV world either. You'll need to figure out how often you'd take trips beyond the range EV could do remembering that more often than not a break say every 300-400 kilometres actually make sense anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 slideaway

I get it.

Just to say I did think like that, ran a phev for 6 years and for what it was liked it and got me used to it.

Bought a taycan last year not because it was an ev but it suits my needs and love it.

Looking at it now I don't see why you'd lug around an engine for the very rare long journey. I've done many long journeys, coast to coast and back same day with very little planning etc

As people say it's the non ev owners that have range anxiety, it's not an issue if the car does 300km+ realistically in my situation.

But do what suits.

Post edited by slideaway on

Advertisement