Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭yagan

Honestly I think once he pulled the trigger on the GE date he was mentally already out the gap.

He's going out on top, nothing he can do can stop the pendulum swing.

Considering his familial wealth a career in politics is akin to a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

He'll win his seat in Richmond unless of course he stands down/retires straight away from politics as soon as the result is confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No great surprise given the guy has no political antenna at all. The advisers must have turned on him if they allowed it to happen

Hopefully, 'Led by Donkeys' will do an update to their profile of him

• Registered Users Posts: 25,516 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Just heard his pool interview

RepeRepeats the same lines over and over but the one that stands out is where he says this was planned weeks in advance, so before he called the GE and before he knew about the ITV interview he had already planned to skip the international memorial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Here is that interview, just repeating the phrases over and over and over,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,529 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not in the UK. Howard in Australia.

People say Balfour in the UK but he had stood down as PM by then with a new PM appointed who won the election that Balfour lost in. Only a matter of weeks, but he was not PM anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,183 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I almost wonder if he did it on purpose. Maybe I'm giving him too much credit but I just can't believe he'd be so blind as to not see how this would pan out.

It also plays into the narrative of "non-native" Brits being less patriotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've always thought it was weird that he wanted to be a PM or even a member of parliament. He's a multi millionaire and his wife is from a billionaire family. It was really strange that a young man in his 30s wanted to go into politics of all things on a salary that is a tiny fraction of his actual income.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,568 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's exactly what he is going to do. H will give a flowery speech about how he doesn't think it right for a former PM to be sitting over the new Tory leaders shoulder on the back benches and it will be the best thing so the new leader can forge their own path. He has clearly checked out.

Also it's amazing how many people were fooled by the suit, accent and clean cut accountant look. The man is clearly a vacant idiot. Just another of the sea of clowns who paid his way through and Oxford "P.P.E." course to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭cml387

This makes Teresa May's election campaign look like a triumphal procession in comparison.

• Advertisement

It makes sense if you think of it as his hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,151 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

There are better hobbies than being humiliated/humiliating yourself on an almost daily basis.

Some people love the misery. (do I have to insert a Mrs Doyle pic?)

Seriously though it might seem thankless to an average Brit, but he can look back and say I became the first Asian/Brit PM, and that regardless of what he did or didn't do is a big deal. Lots of subcontinent wealthy still send their kids to British university just for the prestige alone.

It's like cricket, it might be a british institution, but the big money is in the Asian subcontinent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But he never thought he would humiliate himself. He thought he would be the best PM ever. That his unique mixture of intelligence and awesomeness, which has led his life to be one success after another, would be rewarded yet again by being brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,568 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

How could he have known he was useless after a life of people being paid to tell him how great he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What the hell was he thinking in the 1st place?

In what universe did skipping off after the British section seem like a good idea? The PM of Global Britain with no time for other countries!

What an absolute disaster for the Tories. While the 2k might have been dubious in the calculation at least it meant the media were focused on Labour for a few days. Now the spotlight is very firmly on Sunak and his failure as a leader.

His excuse appears to be that it had nothing to do with the GE campaign, as it was all arranged weeks ago. So he couldn't even be bothered when he wasn't fighting an election (you can at least understand the 'thinking' by wanting to get back to campaigning) but now he is saying that he was never bothered at all.

And simply repeating the same rote learned lines again and again, like some sort of wind-up teddy bear, only shows how little he has even considered the impact. He needed to come out with contrition. A simple apology and then a swift move to how great he is doing was never going to cut it. It's an apology whilst at the same time making the point, repeatedly, that he was at a number of days and does loads for veterans…so it comes across as what are people complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Ahwell

It’s even worse than it appears, he only went there begrudgingly. Originally he had intended not to go at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

he got a first from Oxford. You can’t buy that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Not directly but you can spend plenty of money on tutors and people to do your assignments. The UK seems to be the only country where the most common qualification for head of government is an arts degree from a specific university.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭myfreespirit

He sounds like a poor version of a chatbot, using a limited set of stock phrases in response to any question put to it...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,403 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Like Johnson trying to ape Churchill, Sunak seems to be trying to channel someone like Elon Musk, someone he thinks is highly intelligent, innovative and unafraid to break things and make changes.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've said in jest in private, but truly revolutions have kickstarted over less overt displays of opulent wealth in the face of a deprived population. I do wonder what it would take for a population in a western democracy to truly go nuts, especially when the ruling class are so demonstrably deleterious to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Here's an interesting little story, the Tories have switched off all their Twitter advertising.

Best theories are we will see some kind of reset or retargetting away from Labour and specifically towards reform in the next few days.

"A vote for Reform is a vote for Starmer" is already being used. Although its Tory/LibDem marginals that are more likely to suffer from a Reform split I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Randycove

if that is what he actually did then say it, but these stupid class war type politics are a bit pathetic. When he went to Uni, he was the son of a GP and pharmacist who sent their son to the best school they could afford. They were not millionaires and he certainly wasn’t at the time.

I have no love for the guy, but the accusations being made against him are getting daft. Christ that led by donkeys article is blaming him for the 2008 banking crisis, when all he did (or the company he worked for did) was vote in favour of ABN Amro accepting the offer from RBS. That article makes it sound as though he personally forced RBS to make one of the most stupid decisions imaginable.

There is plenty out there to hang the guy for without making stuff up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Depends on who donated what to which institution

The trigger for the French revolution was the soaring prices of bread and wine. In the UK, there exist institutions like food banks and warm banks which shelter some people from the worst deprivation.

As for things kicking off, I think we'd need a real crisis much worse than covid, something that makes existing unaffordable. I don't know what it would be but hopefully, having Labour running the show will bring some improvement.

H. H. Asquith

Sunak at college was recorded by the BBC laughing at the idea of knowing working class people, so he likes the auld class wars himself.

Led by Donkeys never said that he caused the financial crash of 2008, just that he contributed to it (which is true). For someone who claims to be upset about people making things up, you seem happy to do so yourself when it suits.

Maybe he's really clever and hard working. Who knows? I've spent most of my career in elite universities and I know how they work. There's a booming side industry of people who will write assignments for you and tutor you if you've the coin.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

That's a good point : almost as if he went into politics as a bit of a lark and to amuse himself.

Advertisement