Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

It wasn’t Kenny’s market worth. He was getting paid around double his market worth to do his dream job.

500k-700k is fine if that’s the candidates market worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,087 ✭✭✭bren2001

Where do I find statistics on Kennys market worth?

Last I checked, most jobs have an effective minimum to do the role. Your experience brings that price up. The Irish manager getting paid 500k is perfectly normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Yup, Kenny went from a base salary of less than €100K with Dundalk to a base salary of €560K. He should have gotten a base salary of between €250K and €300K with plenty of incentives.

But when you pay Robbie Keane €250K a year what else would you expect from the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Keane walking away from the Tel Aviv gig.

There has to be a chance he's taking the Ireland job. In his first presser he could claim he made a mistake and his conscience got the better of him. Then plead for forgiveness from the Ireland fans while being extra critical of the Israeli government. Throw in a few reminders of the good times, that goal against Germany plus the other 67 he scored.

All is then forgiven and he leads us into a humping by England in Wembley in September.

I know I don't want him to get it and that's probably the prevailing feeling. But if he was after finishing the season as a double winner in any other top 20 UEFA league and was now a free agent he'd be the overwhelming favourite. 250k or no 250k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Robbie Keane did a good job there, he’s entitled to work there (as much as I have strong thoughts on Israel’s conduct) and he is one of the best International strikers…ever. He would be a fine appointment

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He wouldn't be my first choice but I could definitely get behind him if he is appointed

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Billy_the_Kid
    Master

Agree Robbie would be a good appointment considering some of the other potential candidates. Obviously a big fan favourite and recent successful managerial experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

No issue with Robbie getting the job. Only Irish manager to win a league title abroad (stand to be corrected on that). In all honesty though I'd rather he used his current momentum to try his hand at another club job abroad and gain more experience. Either way he should be future Irish NT manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Interesting timing with the departure from Macabbi Tel Aviv.

• Advertisement

There’s no “should be future Irish NT manager” about it, he’s not entitled to it simply because he’s had a bit of success in the Israeli league in one season. He does have a cloud hanging over him due to a combination of events which makes appointing him problematic for reasons other than straight forward football matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

More senior experience than Josh. And winning a title requires a strong mentality, no matter how big the team is. Iirc, they went on a bad run at one stage and the team in second clawed them back somewhat so they needed to recover and keep going.

Anyone have any ideas on his approach to management at Tel Aviv and how he sets up his team?

What cloud does he have hanging over him?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The clouds hanging over him is his departure from the FAI last time and subsequent collection of a significant pay-check for doing absolutely nothing.

And the fact he was working in an apartheid state that has very recently and continuingly committed some of the most heinous war crimes and attempted genocide in the last century.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

Robbie for me would be infinitely preferable to O’Shea. Winning that league was not a sure thing, and in any event far outstrips O’Shea’s achievements. I think the clouds hanging over him relate to his previous role with the FAI and the fact he went to work in Israel, which was not well received by many in the political class

The Israel stuff is one thing. I personally wouldn't hold it against him as he didn't make any political statements on the matter, iirc, but I fully understand people who have a problem with him working there.

The "getting paid for doing nothing" thing wasn't his fault. The FAI messed up there. I doubt the overwhelming majority of people would just walk away in a similar situation. He signed the contract, he was entitled to the money.

Not sure why that poster needed that spelt out to him, seemed fairly obvious, must’ve been living under rock in recent times?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Taking the job/staying after the invasion of Gaza and the subsequent events are a political statement in of itself whether intended or not. Inaction is the same as action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I feel its been explained dozens of times that Robbie didn't put a gun to anyones head to force him to get a 4 yeat deal. He had a contract given to him the FAI had to honour it. Pretty basic.

The Israel stuff is irrelevant.

Some people just didn't like him and are looking for pretty desperate already debunked excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

I don't want him as manager - too many bad vibes around him.

I would not be surprised if he left due to safety concerns. He may speak about why he left, but he needs to acknowledge the politics question thst he refused to answer when he first joined them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭tigger123

I think in fairness to Robbie, working in Israel is quite different since October 7th, than it was when he started last summer.

He could justifiably say that the context is different now than when he joined previously. He wanted to see out the season etc.

I'd take him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

This exact thought went through my head watching the game the other night.

If O'Shea can be as lucky with his timing as a coach as he was as a player (right place right time) then we're on the pigs back.

For a moderately talented player, he has some roll of honour as a player:maybe, just maybe.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Israel were an apartheid state long long before Oct 7th, so that does not wash as an excuse.

Has he grown a conscious in the last few months, or are there other reasons.

He is within his right not to answer to anyone, but cannot see support for his appointment being widespread

Robbie (from what I can remember) has never got political; he's always focused on doing his job, both as a player and a manager.

While I disagree because of the Russia precedent, the Israeli FA has not been banned by UEFA so its still a (technically) legitimate working environment.

Pinning politics or morality onto athletes, especially when they are apolitical, is naïve, at best. They're not politicians or diplomats. People hold them up as role models but they don't aspire to that. Those that use their fame for good are to be applauded, though that can also backfire (Jordan Henderson).

Robbie has always been about football. If he takes a political stand, good; but if he doesn't, like the thousand of other people involved in football, then I don't think he should be criticised for that.

That said, I understand others feel differently and I think this is a case of different opinions as opposed to being right or wrong so I'll agree to disagree.

Should just keep his mouth shut. Nobody that holds a negative opinion of him are going to change their minds if Robbie comes out with some PR bs to try improve his imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

He took 500k for doing nothing from a cash strapped organisation that could have been used for football in Ireland. Ok I understand it was because Delaney gave it to him , wasn't forced to accept it etc. Remember this isn't someone short of a few bob and was also double jobbing while with Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Keane

In November 2018, Keane agreed to act as the assistant manager of the
    Republic of Ireland national team, under the management of newly
    appointed Mick McCarthy.[201]

In June 2019, he accepted the dual roles of assistant manager of Middlesbrough in the Championship and the Republic of Ireland national team. His former Leeds and Tottenham teammate Jonathan Woodgate, who had been appointed the manager of the Teesside-based club, offered him the role as part of a refurbished coaching team.[202][203] On 23 June 2020, Keane left his role as Middlesbrough assistant manager after his one-year contract came to an end during the COVID-19 pandemic.[204] Keane completed UEFA coaching qualifications, receiving the UEFA Pro Licence in 2020.[205]

He took 500k for doing nothing from a cash strapped organisation

*he took 500k from an organization that gave him a contract for that amount. Not his fault Kenny didn't want him.

Dortmund showing interest in O'Brien. Current Lyon owner John Textor is rumoured to be interested in buying Everton.

What's happening in Palestine is not politics.

I don't look to FIFA or UEFA for guidance on what is or isn't acceptable.

Robbie Keane did not manage Maccabi for footballing reasons, he managed them for personal and financial gain and continued to do so in the face of the state he works and pays taxes in slaughtering innocent men, women and children on a daily basis. The head of state in Israel is wanted by the ICC for war crimes. There can be no political position from where you can argue Israel's actions in Gaza is justified, it's simply not politics.

For those reasons he absolutely should be put under scrutiny for those reasons and be open to criticism, particularly when it comes to him being the manager of our national team.

It's not pining politics onto athlete who are "apolitical", it's holding them accountable, like I would anyone, sportman, politician, diplomat, butcher, baker, candlestick maker for their actions in certain circumstances. Robbie Keane made a conscious decision to stay during the slaughter in Gaza. (to even go and work in an apartheid state in the first place for me is unacceptable).

It's naive to reduce him to the level of "just a sportsman" in the context of taking the role of manager of our national team. The bar is much much higher.

Master

No cloud over Robbie Keane in my view over either managing Macabi when Israel was attacked and the aftermath invasion of Gaza nor being paid out his contract when Stephen Kenny didnt want him when he came in.

Ok, yes I know thats the standard response which is why I put in that he had other options but fair enough he was just seeing out the contract his mate Delaney organised for him. Personally I think we should have a complete break from the Delaney era but others can obviously disagree.

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football/10597745/robbie-keane-john-delaney-fai-london/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

There has always been a sizeable minority of Irish fans who disliked Robbie Keane. Why, I'm not sure. Maybe its the Dublin working class think that they don't like.

With regards to the two points people have complained about on this thread

1: Robbie signed a contract with the FAI. Stephen Kenny in is wisdom decided he didn't want to use him. Keane was entitled to every penny of that contract. Simple as that. He done nothing wrong, it was a decision by Kenny, who even went as far as getting rid of the Physio and Kitman.

2: When Keane took the job in Israel, it was before October 7th. He probably desperately wanted to make an impression in management and stayed until the end of the season. Football people are not politicians. The logic people use, if applied to James McClean, then James should not be taken the Kings shillings.

I hope they give Robbie Keane the job, as I think he has the football intelligence to be a success. I think Irish fans should be stand behind him. He has never let Ireland down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭athlone99

Personally wouldnt want him anywhere near. Yes he was given a contract by Delaney but once the state of the finances came out he should have just left or given the money back. Hes a multi millionaire and didnt need it and the good publicity he would have gotten would have been huge but instead he took money to do nothing from an organisation that was 55M in debt

Crawford finally starts Lawal in midfield but unfortunately the games not being streamed anywhere.

We should have a complete break from Delaney. Why should we exclude ourselves from qualified people from that era? If the FAI think Robbie is the man for the job, appoint him. If they don’t, don’t appoint him.

The FAI is still rife with Delaneys people.

Why would anyone turn down 500k? It’s a ridiculous standard to hold him too. He took money he was entitled too.

fair enough, each to their own opinion, you'd like Keane as manager, I don't for the reasons I explained but no point in going further.

I didn’t say I wanted Keane.

I said I wouldnt exclude him because he took money under a previous contract.

If he’s the right man, you wouldn’t appoint him over 500k a few years ago? That’s mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think in reality him managing in Israel while the bombardment of Gaza has been going on would be the bigger deal, and the thing that would absolutely dominate the press conferences and media coverage if he was hired. Whatever side of that debate anyone is on (not so much the rights/wrongs of the conflict, but whether or not it was ok to stay and represent a nationally significant club, while the nation committed war crimes) that debate would be a heated one that would run throughout the country, which I'm not sure the already unpopular FAI would have the stomach to invite in right now.

the context to which you’re replying was someone saying they wouldn’t want him because of the 500k

Israel is a separate topic with Robbie.

on both, I couldn’t care less. If he’s the most likely target we can get who will win football matches, appoint him

• Advertisement

Finished 3-2 to the U21s. Moran scored the first on 11mins with a close range tap in after Emakhu played Armstrong in behind and the keeper saved.

Armstrong made it 2-0 on 14mins with a fine finish from a Sam Curtis cross. Armstrong had a penalty shout just before half time.

Emakhu made it 3-0 on the 52min when he rounded the keeper after an inch perfect pass from Lawal.

Croatia scored on the 62mins and scored a pen on 74mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭pgj2015

It might be a good way for the FAI to get that 250 k back, offer Robbie the job but minus the 250 k, then take it or leave it Robbie.

Master

Excluding managers/coaches who had their contracts paid out when they were no longer wanted is the most bizarre criteria Ive seen. It excludes every single experienced manager.

The last manager was universally popular and got a free ride in the media for years…didn’t contribute anything to results on the pitch.

Robbie Keane is the best candidate who seems available for the job, and a section of fans always disliked him. Let’s rock - this is about winning not popularity.

(Saying he should have passed on the money he was owed when Kenny came in and sacked him is absolute NONSENSE btw)

I think this is a naive view when it comes to individuals in a Capitalist system (my views on the Gaza conflict and Irish recognition of the Palestine State are very clearly expressed in CA btw). Ideally sure, Robbie Keane would have quit. All of the Irish people working for Wix in Dublin would have quit. Any Irish workers for any Israeli company or in Israel itself would have quit. We’d have scoured our homes for consumer goods made in Israel / made with Israeli raw materials and thrown them out. We’d have boycotted all such products from there. And everyone in the West who sees the actions of the Israeli state for what they are would have done the same, because otherwise you are just self harming to no end.

Robbie Keane was entitled to go and work in Israel, as are other Irish citizens. Absolutely, people will take such jobs for professional and personal gain, that is the economic framework within which we work. We cannot assume such rational actions in a capitalist society as overt political actions. You might be right, it is symptomatic of support for X and Y. But you might be wrong. They may feel compelled to do it, they may be less informed about certain things, etc.

When Robbie Keane took the job Irish diplomatic relationships with Israel were on good standing. There were no issues getting a visa, etc. Once he was there, as a football manager in the middle of a season who made a commitment to a group of players, I understand why he stayed.

Like it or lump it, the job he did there was impressive. And having the mentals to stand his ground on that is exactly what this Irish team needs right now. A bit of **** bottle and ambition would go a long way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

He's tucked his tail and ran after one season. I'm not sure that's a great example of standing his ground and showing a bit of bottle.

Robbie Keane never could win with certain sections of Irish fans - sunrise, sunset

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

He could probably never win alright, but he could have at least gained a bit more respect if he was willing to stick it out and not run at the first opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭omerin

Robbie Keane is a greedy opportunist and hanger-on, who should be no where near the Irish manager's job. He has ruined his reputation in the last number of years and was a piss poor manager in a piss poor league. For obvious reasons I will not go into my true feelings on him, I will have to bite my tongue

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement