Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

I can't believe that anybody would be so flippant about diluting Irish people's electoral presence. . . . . well actually, I can.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭suvigirl

I have no idea what your trying to say here? I can't believe that anyone could have issues with allowing people living in areas to have a say over the local government of those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Well call me old fashioned if you like, but I would like people who have a legal right to be here, be allowed to have a say in our elections. If you have no legal right to stay here, or whether you do or not is yet to be determined, then you should have no say in our elections.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Quags

"You can vote in a local election if you are a non-EU citizen, regardless of the type of residence you hold, or if you are seeking asylum and have not had a decision on your application."

But if im wrong here and open to correction, Person A & B who are waiting on application decision vote for FF and Person C who is Irish votes for Independent but then A & B are deported but they have voted in FF in the area they dont live or reside anymore then its basically a free for all cause if your looking for Asylum here and you get these candidates promising you to help you settle etc then your going with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Dilution is a pretty strong word here. Historically our proportion of asylum seekers/ refugees has been low, and therefore their wider influence on local elections fairly negligible. Even now, where we have an unprecedented number of such persons in the State, they represent a very, very low overall percentage of the local election electorate.

Yes, the number of Ukrainians in particular could — in theory — be of significance at a local level in certain areas where there might be relatively higher numbers residing. But they would still have to be motivated enough to actually register to vote, and then actually vote. So the number of them voting could be pretty low regardless (something which even Gript actually subtly acknowledge in one of their articles complaining about the situation, around paragraphs 6 and 7). https://gript.ie/ireland-is-an-outlier-re-non-national-voting-my-german-neighbour-thinks-we-are-mad/

I note as well their reference to "70 non nationals" running in upcoming Local Elections which does seem, in the context of the article about asylum seekers voting, a fairly sneaky conflation when many of those candidates have resided in Ireland for many years. But regardless, we will see from results whether any abnormal patterns emerge that could be attributed to asylum seekers voting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

On the streets of Leeson St.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeqyWY5b/

Well asylum seekers do have a legal right to be here, so you don't need to be worried

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Can confirm 100% non EU citizens can vote here.

My GF was here almost 2 year’s without a visa, but has one now & needs to be renewed every year & a letter came 2 weeks ago for her to register to vote. She never bothered & couldn’t actually believe it…

Absolute madness & stinks of corruption of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭LongfordMB

GoSh i wonder which of those two options the irish people would vote for now

I think the point most people are going at is while those who are not fully approved by the gov to stay in the country they can in fact still vote in the local election so it can give an advantage to the those parties who want be seen as great they are helping us so AS will vote for them but joe public will more than like have to actually deal with the repercussions of this vote as As can be deported tomorrow (it wont happen cause you know, Its McEntee)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Why? Why should someone paying tax, USC and property tax have the same voting rights as an asylum seeker who doesn’t do any of those things? Regardless if they can or not.

How is it corruption?

your girlfriend my not care about voting, fair enough, but there are plenty of people who would like to vote in their local elections.

Really, If things were done speedily as they should be when making these decisions, it would be negligible the amount of AS that would be here long enough to vote and then get deported.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

It worked great for Erdogan in Turkey, court the millions of Syrian refugee votes to boost your chances of winning

Don't be going down this slippery slope, why should someone on the dole here not paying any of those things get to vote?

See where this is going?

If an immigrant was conservative they would have to face these comments. By granting them voting rights, it's an easy win for the government.

They also try to reduce the voting age, to get more votes. I think they tried to do this in Spain also, but were not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭riddles

you don’t need a passport to get through Dublin airport and you can then vote. We are a strange place!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If someone has a visa/residency/work permit why shouldn't they get the right to vote in council elections?

They pay taxes and are members of the community like any other, and have a legal basis for being here.

Asylum seekers (as distinct from refugees) have not had their residency status decided upon yet, and in that case I could see why they shouldn't get the right to vote.

But non-EU workers of course should get a say in local elections.

1. If your not an approved AS then you NO you should not be allowed vote in a local election that may or may not affect you
    2. The shitshow in the Gov is on the go slow hence they absolute mammoth length
    3. This is the big one, the approvers are probably trying to figure who out who these people are that are in this country with no IDs
    4. 513 deportation orders issued up to the end of April. 186 were removed from the State, including 136 voluntary repatriations, so we as a country know have 327 refused AS in this country

Anyway Im out, enjoy your Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭tom23

Yes I do… straight forward no they shouldn't be allowed to vote, they don't get to rock up with no id and get a Healy Rae in their ear to get their vote, where some born here yes, born here I know that might offend you, its nearly a dirty word on this thread at times, has worked their bollox of all their life in their community has the same voice as some here a couple of months No way. Just no. Now do you see where Im going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

I'm not sure what you mean by approved AS?

But I do think they should have to be here for a minimum amount of time, local elections are held every 5 years, so maybe some percentage of that 5 years.

A And what if that person born here ( you know not everyone born here is Irish right?) But never worked a day in their life? Never paid a penny tax?

What if, like me, someone recently moved to a new area, why should they get the right to vote? W

Oh right, if their application is approved they are refugees, and I would have no issue with refugees having voting rights. I do think there should be minimum time spent here as a AS before being eligible.

Non Citizenship holders shouldnt have any rights to vote imo. Even she agreed!

they’ve flooded the country with god knows who in the hope they’ll vote the status Quo.

Non Citizenship holders shouldnt have any voting right’s imo. They could all up and leave next week.

I worked in many country’s myself and paid taxes, i never got voting right’s. And I can’t complain about it because it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Is anyone disagreeing with the point though? Is anyone disagreeing that asylum seekers might tend to vote for someone who is seen as being favourable towards them? It doesn't seem like a profoundly complex point to me — more a simple observation that people vote for candidates who they see as being favourable to them.

What are the antics here?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 joeymcg

Story of a Gaynain man seeking refugee status

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/judge-upholds-decision-to-refuse-refugee-status-to-ghanaian-man-1635018.html

"It was not unreasonable or irrational for a tribunal to reject a Ghanaian man’s claim he was openly gay and had, therefore, been subjected to persecution, the High Court has held.

Mr Justice Barry O’Donnell on Friday refused the divorced father-of-three’s request for him to overturn the International Protection Appeal Tribunal’s affirmation of a decision to refuse him refugee status and subsidiary protection.

The judge said findings were made during the international protection process that impugned the credibility of the applicant’s accounts of persecution and his claim that he was gay.

Assessing the credibility of assertions about sexual orientation are “undoubtedly” sensitive and difficult, but “they are assessments that have to be made”, Mr Justice O’Donnell said. Here, the IPAT “conspicuously” endeavoured to assess this claim with reference to the appropriate standards, he said.

The judge said the tribunal accepted that gay men may face extreme discrimination and homophobia in Ghana where violent homophobic attacks are common.

Ghana’s parliament passed a bill last February seeking a prison sentence of up to three years for anyone convicted of “identifying” as LGBT+. Engaging in gay sexual acts was already an imprisonable offence.

The applicant arrived in Ireland in February 2020 and immediately sought international protection at Dublin Airport. He was called for an interview with the International Protection Office 26 months later and was in June 2022 refused refugee status, subsidiary protection and leave to remain.

The appeal tribunal upheld this decision in November 2022 and the man issued High Court judicial review proceedings over this rejection the following month.

He alleged the tribunal legally erred in determining that his account was not credible and made findings based on an assumption about the experience of a gay man.

Further, he claimed, the tribunal breached fair procedure principles by making findings about his credibility without putting these to him for a response.

The tribunal fully stood over its determination, which it argued was lawful, fair and reasonable.

Mr Justice O’Donnell said the applicant told the tribunal he had been married and had three children. He “lost touch for women” after his divorce in 2017 and met a man in 2018 who told him “about gay and how it was going on”, the applicant said.

He said he decided to give it a try, and he moved in with the man that year and felt like he was in the right position and is no longer interested in women. He said his family was disgusted when they heard he was living with a man, and he felt like an outcast to them. He claimed he was attacked three times in Ghana between 2017 and 2020.

Due to an accumulation of unexplained issues with his narrative, the tribunal had significant doubts about his credibility and could not accept he had been persecuted. The tribunal said that although he may “simply have been naive or reckless”, his account of engaging in a carefree way in an openly gay relationship in the face of widespread intolerance and oppression seemed “unexpected and unusual”.

The tribunal had further issues with his account of his relationship with the other man and of coming to realise he was gay, which was “entirely bereft of any of the thoughts, feelings and emotions that are commonly experienced”.

Mr Justice O’Donnell said he was not at all satisfied the tribunal erred by making findings based on conjecture or stereotype. The findings proceeded from a careful consideration of the facts and by giving the applicant extensive opportunities to explain his position, he said.

He held that the tribunal’s decision was lawful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭timmyntc

An Irish citizen could up and leave next week too

An old person might die next week - they are still entitled to a vote. Denying people the right to vote based on future 'what ifs' is a slippery slope.

Advertisement