If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor setup advice

Options
  • 02-06-2024 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

hey guys,

Hoping ye can offer some advice on a potential setup I’m currently exploring.
    I have an outdoor covered space and looking at getting 4 outdoor speakers setup that pipe back into the house to an av receiver or similar. The plan is to mostly have Spotify or radio being able to get to those speakers but I’d like to hook up a projector to a screen I can hang out there too.
    Inside where the av receiver will live we have a tv already with sky box and potential Xbox in the future.

I don’t need to run the interior tv through the receiver though I would like to

1. Be able to run both locations at the same time
    2. Keep the same sources avail for both tvs.
    3. I may add 2 fronts to the interior tv at a later stage, though this isn’t a deal breaker.

Is this possible through zones or another way?

Hardware to consider:

4 external speakers, Outdoor cable, av receiver that can achieve above.
    maybe projector though I may add this later.

as always Thanks in advance

Eoin

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for the post Eoin and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

If you're looking to have two zones which will play the same source at the same time I would actually recommend something like the Marantz Stereo 70S. This amp has speaker outputs for 4 speakers running two zones in stereo pairs that can be linked together or you can turn one of the zones off. It also has wifi streaming and Bluetooth but it also has HDMI inputs and an output to a TV or a projector. This will allow it to run four outdoor speakers but also allow you to add an Xbox into it and hook it up to a projector.

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-15190-marantz-stereo-70s-black-network-stereo-receiver.aspx

For the outdoor speakers the Monitor Audio Climates would be the best to go for. They're weather proof but give a fantastic sound. We have either the Climate 50s which are a little more compact or the larger Climate 60s:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-11198-monitor-audio-climate-50-black-black-outdoor-speakers-per-pair.aspx

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-11386-monitor-audio-climate-60-black-outdoor-speakers-per-pair.aspx

We also do a specific outdoor cable for outdoor installations which we sell by the meter:

https://www.richersounds.ie/p-207323-qed-qx16-2-outdoor-black-per-meter-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

Please don't hesitate to drop me a post if you have any queries about these items!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Keoin18

hey David,

Thanks for the quick response!

Noted on the cables. A more compact outdoor speaker is preferable too!

That Marantz looks nice, but wondering if it could handle interior speakers too if I wanted to add the inside tv to it? Possibly 2 bookshelf fronts (maaaaybe a centre)

So 4 externals (2 fronts and 2 rears/sides)

And 2 or 3 internals, (2 fronts and maybe centre if possible,though phantom centre all good too)

So if zone 1 was outside, zone two inside for the tv there. All zone or similar usually allows the same content over all zones but is it possible to have them both running at the same time with different hdmi sources?

Basically hope to have one receiver if possible that can handle both spaces? Though part of me is thinking it may need to be two separate devices?
    preference is to have one device for all sources

I hope this makes sense?

Thanks!

Eoin

Would the Denon AVRX2800 Black do the trick perhaps? With the two outputs too?

Thanks

• Company Representative Posts: 17,261 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Thanks for getting back to me Keoin18.

The AVRX2800 has a zone 2 audio output but the Zone 2 HDMI is only a monitor out and will not run independent sources.

I've had a look into this but the info is a bit vague so if you leave it with me I'm going to check in with one of our reps to see if they know of any way to get around this with one amplifier.

I'll be in touch as soon as I've checked it out.

Kind regards

David

thanks David

I think the av3800h has 3 hdmi outs, 2 monitor and one zone2? Perhaps this would work?
    if not I may need to just consider two separate systems

thanks!

Eoin

• Advertisement

Hi Keoin18.

I've done some checking and the manual isn't 100% clear.
    We are going to set up a 3800 here at the store and check if it will output two different HDMI sources and audio to Zone 2.
    We'll revert back as soon as we gather some info from the setup.

Hey David and Kenny,

Doing a bit more research on this myself and as you said the manual is a bit vague.

Zone2 separate sources aside, if I just wanted to achieve the external 4 speakers (Front: Left, Right, Rear: Left, right) with projector, and also music source, airplay and Spotify. It may make more sense for a separate indoor and out door receiver.

When you pointed out the Marantz stereo 70s I had a look, and seemed that or the Marantz Cinema 70s could do the trick too for just the outdoor space. Can I check the difference between the Stereo 70s and Cinema 70s? I like the audyssey idea on the Cinema 70s for the outdoor calibration, but the watts per speaker seems a lot lower? What would be better at giving enough juice per speaker to give best bang for my buck do ye think?

The space isnt huge (around 2m x 3m) so was looking for a smaller sized speaker and the Polk Atrium 4s came on my radar, do you guys stock them?

The 3800 on paper looks like it would do all I need it to do and more but may be overkill too. What you guys think?

Thanks!

Eoin

Thanks for the post Keoin18,

The main difference between the Stereo and Cinema models is the number of speaker of channels. The Cinema 70s is a 7.1 amp that will support Dolby Atmos whereas the Stereo 70s will run two sets of stereo pairs. The Stereo 70s is more designed for music than home cinema but gives you the option of HDMI inputs if you need to connect a TV to it.

I am just having a look at the Denons as I need to know if the zones are independent, especially via the HDMI Zone 2 output as these tend to act as monitor outs so will send a duplicate video feed but not run off an independent source.

Unfortunately we don;t stock the Polk Atriums but the Climate 50s would be the best of the more compact Outdoor speakers we would stock.

I'll give you a shout as soon as I get something concrete on the Denons though!

Kind regards

David

Hey guys,

Additional question for you guys,

Looking at short throw projectors too.
    It’s for the covered outdoor space so high lumen I think are necessary.
    the throw distance is between 1.3-1.7m. And the screen is going to be 100inch.

some of the below seem to have good reviews in my rough budget though any recommendations welcome please!

BenQ W1800
    BenQ W2700 (max budget)

Epson EH-TW7000 (leaning towards this)

Thanks!

Eoin

Hi Eoin.

If you can stretch to the W2700 then it is the one to go for.
    The Epson W7000 is not native 4K. "Although not strictly a 4K projector, it gives it a much more detailed, denser image than an equivalent Full HD version. The EH-TW7000 also supports 4K streaming services from providers such as Netflix"
    It is market as 4K Enhanced.

The Epson still does a very good job and is a great projector. It also a popular one.

The W1800 is another good projector and is 5 star reviewed. 4K image without breaking the bank.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick response Kenny,

Looks like the w1800 and the Epson are similar cost?

With it being a covered outdoor space would I be best getting the Epson for the contrast ratio and higher lumen count?

Eoin

Hi Eoin.

The W1800 is coming in at £999 / €1198 and the Epson 7000 priced at same £999 / €1198.

The Epson does have the higher lumens so will operate better in bright conditions.

We have used the Epson on demo here at the store and it is very good.

Thanks Kenny,

There also seems to be the BENQ TK860, which has the high lumens, good contrast ratio and the 4k for around the same price as the w2700?
    Eoin

Hi Eoin.

The BenQ TK860 would be good to throw into the mix.
    It is slightly brighter than the Epson and has an extra HDMI input as well as some other Enhancements.

It is priced at £1198 / €1398. So its a little more expensive.

Hey guys,

Took delivery today of the Denon 3800h, BENQ TK860 with cabling too. Waiting for me at home! Thanks so much for the help on this.

One final question before I get installing, Im looking to install 4 speakers, essentially in a square space. There is a projector screen that ill be throwing the image to.

My q is for the fronts, I can only really place them literally right above the screen (pointing at the sitting point) or right below the screen. Below the screen would bring them to ear level, but the image would be above Im aiming to have a phantom centre , since I dont have a dedicated centre.

Where would work best for watching content, above or below?

Thanks!

Eoin

Hi Eoin.

Excellent that everything has arrived with you.

You will need a centre speaker for the surround sound to work correctly, if you leave out the centre you will loose 90% of dialogue.
    You could run the 3800 in multi channel stereo but this would be such a waste for a cinema room as you would not get the surround sound effect.

For placing the front left and right I would go for the ear level as if they are too high then the sound will pass over you.
    Ideally you want the speakers at head height while seated for the best outcome.
    You could get away with the rears being a little higher but again as close to head height is what you want.

Thanks for the quick response Kenny,

So the space is in a covered outdoor area and will be used 70% of the time for music with and using the multi stereo for that use.

Below is a terrible pic of the setup, overhead and looking at the 100 inch screen from the seat.

I can place the rears at ear level.

The fronts though need to be either high and directed at the main seating postion or ear level low.

Theres no place for a low placed centre, but maybe could get one on the roof along with the others if they are up there. (otherwise two low fronts and a high centre,which i dont think will work)

Thanks for sending over that diagram Eoin.

If it were me I'd place the speakers above the listening position and angled down towards you, it means you can get a centre mounted at the same height down the line and it should give a more consistent front end for your speakers. If your speakers are smaller satellite sized speakers they're better up high than down low.

Let me know if you need any more info though!

Kind regards

David

thanks for the info David,

Yeah think I’ll build it out with downward facing high location and maybe add a centre at a later point!

Thanks again!

Eoin

No problem Eoin, if you need anything else please drop me a post and have a great weekend!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.