Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭johnh6767

I disagree , I still have McGrath ahead based on recent form, and by quite a distance. He’s a stalwart of the club and ex captain so aside from form which I rate as superior he will bring value to the team talks and half time. He more than anyone realises this maybe his last rodeo and that surely counts for something.

As I said Foley & Gunne will compete head on next year. i am excited to see Sam P & Gunne back on the same pitch together they were a very exciting combination for U20’s year before last and crucial to clean sweep

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭El Vino

Sam's discussions with Connacht paid dividends, not being the least bit cynical but it made Leinster realise they had to use him or potentially lose him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He's a scrum half who can't pass. To top it off his decision making has gone down the toilet. JGP will stay on the pitch for as long as the game is a contest.

I agree but JGP stays on if it’s competitive irrespective of who is on the bench, same for any world class player in knock out stages

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Just making a general point on Sam Prendergast. Leinster is the best place for him to develop as a player and I'm glad he has seemingly decided to turn down Connacht's offer and remain here next season.

No other province gives more opportunities to young players to prove themselves. Murray Kinsella quoted a great stat in last Wednesday's Rugby Weekly podcast. Out of all of last season's Irish u20 Grand Slam winning and World Cup finalists, Prendergast has twice as many senior minutes as the second highest. He also has twice as many senior minutes as any player of the u20 group who played the year before him in 2022.

Leinster clearly see him as a player of incredible potential and are giving him the chance to develop here.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is a really misleading stat though.

One of Leinster's 10's retired and the other one was injured for months, and 2 of them got called up to Ireland camps.

Of course his minutes are comparatively high.

Though Leinster do deserve credit for picking him this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

With prendergast number 2 for Leinster I wonder does he go to South africa on the tour?

Crowley goes and Frawley goes for his versatility especially with keenan away.

Harry Byrne was in 6 nations squad but has fallen out of favour at leinster. You can't see him picked for the tour.

Ross even though he was back fit wasn't brought into 6 Nations Squad and bar the la rochelle game isn't going great.

There is a spot open depending on how the next few weeks go for Leinster.

Absolutely not, though he should get capped against Fiji in the Autumn.

Plenty of time to usurp Crowley for the 6N then 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

When was Predergast number 2 for Leinster? or we just going on this one game?

When has Harry Byrne fallen out of favour?

When is Ross not going great?

Honestly some baffling stuff posted about the Leinster players over the last few weeks but it seems to get worse by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

The vast majority of Prendergast's minutes are by design. We knew Sexton was retiring, we've promoted Prendergast to the senior squad because to fill the gap. We've played him in the minutes that we knew would be available and he potentially got some because Ross Byrne was injured; but there are always injuries. 120 or 25% of his total minutes came while Ross was injured. Even he never played in any of those games, he'd still have the most minutes of the under 20s crew.

But the comparison to any other 20s player isn't the point or even necessary. Prendergast has more minutes at his age then certainly any Leinster outhalf I can think of in the professional era (remember, he only turned 21 in February), he has more minutes than Crowley and Ronan O'Gara had at the same point in their careers.

He may not hit the heights of any of the other names mentioned above, but Leinster are giving him every chance of doing it by giving him more game time than virtually any 10 has ever gotten in the professional history of the sport in Ireland. It's ludicrous to suggest that he needs to go anywhere else for game time.

• Advertisement

Really? wasn't he already playing for Leinster all season and was given game time last season?

Do you honestly think Leo is making decisions on team selection because a player might or might not of had a discussion about a loan move? if that was the case why doesn't every squad player just had a chat with a province and expect to get played :-)

Honestly the stuff going on is f**king crazy and been led by the media.

Predergast is a young Irish player, yet the calls now is that he should be starting for Leinster and posts here about going on the tour to SA. Absolute nuts the whole thing

Then if he has a bad game or struggles at all the same people in the media and online demanding he starts will go after him. Like they have done with Harry Byrne before when his only error was comments made about him that he had no control over.

I agree wholeheartedly the discussion on 10, all 4, is at best irrationally volatile from week to week, and at worst madness .

When was Predergast number 2 for Leinster? or we just going on this one game?

Is there any reason not to go on this one knockout game that is vital for our season?

He shouldn't be starting for Leinster, he needs to earn that. Though I have gone from thinking he would take the backup spot by the end of next season to thinking he'll be starting by the end of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭El Vino

yes I do believe it had an impact to Leo's decision making, why would it not if you thought you had a chance of losing one of your best prospects. Any manager in any industry would do similar to keep someone they valued.

Honestly if Predergast wants to leave Leinster to join Connacht I would let him off.

At this stage he is long enough in the Leinster system he should of already had conversations with leo on his progress and what the plans are for him moving forward.

Leo would be a bad manager/head coach if he didn't already have a plan in place for the game time for Predergast and if throwing a little strop from a player changes that then not much point in having long term plans.

Personally I believe none of the above happened, Leo has a plan for these players and the media running a bit of noise which is Frawley has to start one day, next day it is Predergast then Leinster would be in a total shambles if they took any heed of that.

It's one game when they have move from 6/2 to 5/3.

People can see what they want into the selection but I have no idea if H Byrne is injured or any other reason he might not get selected. I didn't see anything in his last performance to suggest he would be dropped or he was awful.

If predergast has jumped him in the ranking then fair play to him and it's up to Harry to work his way back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tttmaloney

At various times Leo chose Ross B over Joey Carbery, Ross over Harry Byrne, Ross over Frawley and won no champions cup. Around the same times Andy F went against him and was pushing for Joey Carbery over Ross, Harry Byrne over Ross and Frawley over Ross. Any Farrell ultimately went on to win two six nations.

The same thing happened at scrum half. Leo believed more in Luke McGrath than JGP once upon a time and Andy F. Went against him and picked JGP over Luke McGrath.

For me that’s Leo’s flaw…. He traditionally prefers the limited conservative player and comes up short whereas Andy F has more vision and confidence to try to work with the more talented player and ultimately win.

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Personally I believe none of the above happened, Leo has a plan for these players and the media running a bit of noise which is Frawley has to start one day, next day it is Predergast then Leinster would be in a total shambles if they took any heed of that.

Nienaber literally confirmed that Prendergast was talking to Connacht. It happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭conquestscarer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Fair one. Could still use him off the bench. If they don't use him in the semi, they would struggle to justify starting him in the final

Yeah, but the point being made was that that wasn’t likely the reason for his selection last week. His performance last week earned him the slot on the bench this week.

He’s gotten a hugely significant amount of game time this year for a 21 year in his first year as a full pro.

If you read the thread, I was responding to someone who claimed that Leinster are now playing Predergast because he had conversations with Connacht….

In terms of what Nienaber actually said, not as concrete as the media would like to make out when you read the headline. He said he thinks and to ask Leo is my reading

Asked if there was an update on the situation, Nienaber said: “No. I think there are discussions, obviously, but like I said, my job is purely on the field. Leo (Cullen) and other guys are working on that.”

Pressed on whether the decision would ultimately be the player’s, Leinster’s or the IRFU’s, Nienaber responded: “I think it is probably, again it is not my domain, probably the best (person to ask) is Leo.

“But if I can just say, it will be the stakeholders...obviously Sam, it will be David (Humphreys, incoming IRFU performance director) and the national body (IRFU) and the club (Leinster).

First off when Farrell became head coach Joey was already at Munster, not Leinster.

Joey was been picked at 10 at the start for Leinster and it seemed more that Lancaster decided he was a 15, then the IRFU stepped in and said either Joey or Ross had to move. Leinster picked Ross and rest is history. That was all years before Farrell was head coach

Leo signed JGP, picked him for years and again long before Farrell was head coach of Ireland.

The story of Farrell picking JGP is an odd one, the first 6 nations JGP wasn't even in the Ireland squad for Farrell, Cooney and Murray playing, so when exactly was Farrell picking JGP and Leinster still put McGrath as the main choice?

The current Irish squad is full of players from Leinster who have been part of the system put in place by Leo when he got the job after MOC, his model was to prmote youth and why leinster went with him.

No idea how you can claim that a squad full of Leinster players is because leo picks conservative players and Farrells doesn't, they are the same players?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Are you saying there wasn't a situation when Leinster had Ross Molony ahead of Joe McCarthy but Ireland had McCarthy ahead, and another situation where Farrell backed Gibson-Park as his man at scrumhalf even though he has clearly second choice behind McGrath at Leinster?

I didn’t mention Joe but his progress last year was slowed due to injury more than anything

In terms of JGP, I’m asking when this happened, Leo of course signed him and spent years coaching him, so not sure why Farrell is getting all the praise? But in terms of Farrell picking JGP, his first 6 nations it was Murray and Cooney

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

LMG and JGP were neck and neck for a long time, with no clear first choice at Leinster. JGP had weaknesses in his game, particularly box kicking that were strengths of McGrath's. Ultimately, Gibson-Park was able to improve his game to reach a level where his all round game is one of the best in the world while Luke stagnated then regressed.

JGP needed to oust the incumbent at Leinster, which took some time. For Ireland, McGrath was never seriously in the picture so JGP's targets were Murray, Cooney and Marmion.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

But in terms of Farrell picking JGP, his first 6 nations it was Murray and Cooney

This isn't completely accurate. Farrell's first 6 Nations was the Covid interrupted one. Cooney was 2nd choice in the Spring for the first 3 games, but JGP had leapfrogged him for rounds 4 and 5 in the Autumn.

Then into the 20/21 season and it became pretty clear that Farrell had JGP ahead of McGrath, while it was the other way around at provincial level.

• Advertisement

More convinced than ever that Snyman is a professional impact sub and that is the role he will play for Leinster next season with Ryan and McCarthy starting. McCarthy himself doesn't look good for 80, so you'd assume he'll make way and Ryan plays the full 80 in all the big matches he's available for.

Advertisement