Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which party will you give your #1 preference to in the upcoming European election

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

No but it's a story which the media has been rather lacking in curiosity about, don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

So racial injustice, homophobia and transphobia are only bad if they don't upset the current establishment. That's okay I guess.

I don't think the referendum was about defining women but if you think women need definition on their rights I'm not surprised you are anti whatever your definition of woke is.

"Woke" is something I've not heard many people who are not white males use so maybe it has something to do with preserving those values?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

There is a load of choice in Dublin but there is a lot of off the wall stuff. The National Party leaflets tell me "Ireland is full". Others are warning me of the "emigration issue" to Ireland. There was another independent who in the photo he used in his leaflet looked as if he needed a good wash nevermind a shave. But yet he was telling me in his leaflet that he was going to "smash the ideology of neoliberalism"

I still don't know who I will give my first preference to. But I think currently Liz Boylan and Claire Daly seem to rattle cages and have drive in the EU chambers. Regina Doherty provides a good counterbalance keeping an eye on both and providing the Middle Ireland viewpoint. If those three got in it would not bother me let them at it. They at least seem to have an energy and interest in the EU whatever about their political viewpoints. A mixture representing Ireland is no harm IMO.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

So my favourite non woke candidate for Europe is Niall Boylan (independent).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Good old Clare Daly will fight Vladimir Putins corner, those are the cages that need rattling but yeah some far right chancers are the problem.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Well a lot of their support - and this goes for other parties, do not care about quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Christ I was in agreement until you mentioned Clare Daly… I want her nowhere near Irish politics after her behaviour in shilling for Russia the past 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

23 candidates and I could only muster up any interest in about 6 to give a vote to. Appalling choices

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Needmoretea

Yes, the lineup is not great this year. A few of them I had to look up to see what they're about. There are some definite no no's and a couple of maybes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I know the FG rugby dads have a hard time telling the difference but opposing American military imperialism is not the same as being a puppet for Russia.

Clare Daly opposed sanctions for Russia 2 years ago on the grounds that it would only hurt the ordinary Russian people and not Putin or the Russian military. And she was right, the war is still ongoing and the sanctions did nothing to deter or prevent further military aggression from Russia.

She was also one of the earliest voices to call for a ceasefire in Gaza and for a suspension of western weapons to Israel. It took most of her political opponents many months to arrive at exactly the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I found the whichcandidate website great. There were a couple of guys I was going to vote for but when I filled in the questionnaire and viewed some of their answers compared to the way I lean mean I won't vote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Russia invading another nation does not equal US imperialism in spite of what some posters seem to believe.

Anyway, managed to get to ten in preferences in local and European elections. All the major parties got included, some independents. Aontu, independent Ireland and the eclectic mix of Nazis were ignored. Pretty bad selection overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Oh ffs not only did she repeatedly vote in support of her boss against the interests of Irish people and EU she represents, by doing so she enabled Putin to create and drive millions of refugees into Europe

She then proceeded to vote against any measure to deal with said migration

The mental gymnastics needed to excuse such a terrible MEP is staggering

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭thomas 123

turn out looks brutal 10-15% around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

She opposes sanctions against Russia because it will harm ordinary Russian people, while simultaneously calling for sanctions against Israel, which, apparently, wouldn't harm ordinary Israelis. She's using ordinary Russians as a smokescreen to disguise her support for the Kremlin.

The war is still ongoing but the sanctions make it harder for Russia to steamroll over Ukraine. Whether Russia wins or not is inconsequential, we should not fund Putin's war machine.

Has she called for a suspension of North Korean and Iranian weapons to Russia? Wallace and Daly say they want "peace", but this is just another smokescreen to disguise their support for Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What time was that for, that does sound especially brutal.

The calls for ceasefire are just ways to stop their allies from getting beaten back.

Same with calls to stop arm shipments, just away to help their friends survive the push back against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,459 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Wait for the tea time rush, and the lads who pop in last thing before heading on to the pub...

I'm going to start from 27 and work my way from there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,888 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Indicates that the status quo will likely remain if that's the case.

People up in arms about the direction of the country but don't bother showing up to vote.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

What did you make of her pro-Assad propaganda videos?

She is not “fighting Putin’s corner” as far as I see but looking at the bigger picture. As far as I see boards has moved on from Ukraine and Gaza is the new thing to pretend to care about. Much like I saw only a week ago Brid Smith had signs up “isolate Israel” “Support Palestine” . Seemed like really jumping on the band wagon and again ignoring the wider picture. Bit bandwagony as far as I see it.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Europhiles will be disappointed with the turnout of the national election to the European Parliament today but will be hoping for better in the regional state administration and governor elections before the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Job done

1. Billy Kelleher

2. Michael McNamara

3. Sean Kelly

10 to 15% by 1pm would be on par with last locals. Poor enough if it was at 4

Just voted, 40% turnout here around 5pm

I think there are those from disadvantaged areas (in particular) among others who never voted or unlikely to vote in any election at the best of times. They are even less likely to vote in European elections. But then are the first to moan about how they feel disconnected.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭MFPM

The Daly haters out in force today, must be getting a bit worried! Interesting, I'll be voting for her and hope to see her elected but her chances are no more than 50/50... if she does win it'll be fun watching the melt down here and in the Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Do you think Brexit has made it easier for Britain to close their borders?

Advertisement