Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local/ EU elections who will you Vote for

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Justin Barret was similarly first on the page for midlands. It will be the last time during this election I expect first to be associated with him unless he is out after the first count.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,426 ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Given the fact that it's literally only posters with existing extreme views that seems to care so strongly about, I'm not sure if it's a major concern.

Blighe, the guy who made up attempted kidnapping stories, what a stellar candidate... I'm pretty confident he'll perform poorly… A citizen or resident. In terms of local election candidates, the role is incredibly limited and the weird interpreter scenario you've proposed has never actually happened, it would be pretty impossible to even canvas let alone win. Can you point to such a candidate running? I'm betting you can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

Looking at Boyle Sports odds for MNW it appears a straight shoot out for final seat between McManus, Nina, Toibin and Gildernew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

Given the fact that it's literally only posters with existing extreme views that seems to care so strongly about, I'm not sure if it's a major concern.

It's not a major concern for me. I wasn't even aware of it until I just read about it. All the same, I don't think asylum seekers should be voting in our elections unless they've received permission to stay. It's a fairly anomalous situation really. What kind of stake in society does someone who could be told they have to leave have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

I decided this year with so many candidates in my constituency that I was going to make my life easy by only voting for women so Grace O Sullivan in Ireland south got my number one vote in the european elections and I decided to let the transferable votes fall where they may. I took the same approach on the local register and did a one two for the two female candidates on my ballot. I will admit that all three candidates showed up at my door, I appreciate their values, two were party candidates and one an independant and I was happy to give their respective my support.

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

We have at least one despicable female MEP

I don’t think sex of someone is an indicator of their ability (or lack of) or whether they will represent people of Irleand or a warmongering dicktator in Kremlin

Oh I know. I legitmately did sit down and give a lot of thought to how I would vote this time around. It is a bit like a lottery so I narrowed it down to who I would give my number one to on both papers and they both happened to be women. I stopped at that point and decided to let that be my best input.

Seriously though, I have a lot of respect for Grace O Sullivan and I think the Greens are better suited to European Politics so that vote was a no brainer for me.

The local register on the other hand is half full of shysters and I normally tend toward independants and steer away from party politics but it's slim pickings. This time around though we have a new Soc Dems representative and without knowing too much about my candidate I am more aligned with their policies and they also just happen to be a woman, coincidently.

I generally lean toward policies which value social justice and human well-being, a la Grace O Sullivan and Soc Dems and I don't think it's a coincidence that female candidates tend to populate those positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Would it not have been even more satisfying to not give him a vote at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Annd9

Wonder how many headbangers will be calling this a "Stolen election" , plenty of slogans from the Trump bingo card being used lately so I expect this one to feature heavily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Could be interesting to analyse voting patterns with 23 or 27 candidates on the ballot.

I wonder would a larger number of voters than usual give up at 5th or 6th preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,386 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Struggling to see SF not take a seat in MNW. Would prefer Gildernew to MacManus - one less MEP shilling for Russia would be good result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭MFPM

He may do but it's a long shot but either way that's democracy and you'll have to suck it up as we all do with candidates we don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

A bit taken aback today - I managed to vote in the local elections , which is grand , but i wanted to vote Chris MacManus MEP but was told I cant (because I am a brit I cannot vote in the MEP elections) because of Brexit. Well I have lived in Ireland for over 30years and have no plans to go back to Blighty to live , have 2 Irish born children , and half Irish wife and if I were living in Britain I would not have voted to leave Europe. - so I am European, cannot vote for my choice of MEP. - Just didnt do my research before going to polling station and thought I would be able to vote for MEP - I realised I cannot vote in Irish referendums though, fair enough - I didnt know I was barred from voting MEP's though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

MacManus was only voting based on what he was told by HO. It will be the same with Gildernew.

Reformed character.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

Hope MMick Wallace will have to suck it up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭MFPM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭arctictree

The one candidate I voted for in the locals was the only one on the list without a picture. How does that even happen? Surely he lost a few votes because of that....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭griffin100

For the first time ever I gave an independent my number 1 in any election - Michael McNamara in the European elections. I liked his gutting of Helen McEntee recently and I was impressed with him during the referendum recently so that’s what put him ahead of the frankly pathetic choices open to me in the South constituency. A collection of some serious lunatics on the ballot paper as well as parties I would never vote for.

I reluctantly gave the 2 FG candidates a 2 and 3 but even that was a hard ask for me as a FG voter usually. Even I struggled with giving a vote to Sean Anonymous Kelly and some other dude I’ve never heard off or seen before. That was all I listed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭BQQ

You could apply for Irish citizenship
    no good to you today, but should ensure you have you say next time around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

So who are they saying will get the other 4 seats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭dasdog

My top two in the Euro's haven't a hope but I was glad to see Ogle's stance on Irelands lack of defence spending - Cyber and Military - so gave him number one. Al-Qadri got a sympathy trickle and is quite moderate but will prob go out in round one also. Don't think I've given FG a vote preferential or otherwise since Bertie Ahern was Taoiseach but I fear Clare Daly might get enough transfers to sneak back in so held my nose from FF down.

Brendan Ogle (Ind)
    Umar Al-Qadri (Ind)
    Lynn Boylan (SF)
    Ciaran Cuffe (Green)
    Barry Andrews (FF)
    Aodhán Ó Ríordáin (Lab)
    Regina Doherty (FG)

Ind/Ind already sitting candidates in the locals that aren't promoting NIMBYism and assist with the locality (sports clubs, play areas for kids, green spaces, allotments etc.). One of them is quite the opposite and engages An Bord Pleanala to speed up decision making so things can progress so she will definitely need support as there is local annoyance at change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,492 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

why not vote for the most competent person rather than sexism against men?

I did they just happened to be women. I gave an explanation in a later post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,322 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's happening though, it's always happened like when all the polish arrived, this is on a different scale though, you couldn't round up 300 polish in the one building and bus them off to vote, you might be lucky to get 10/20 in the one workplace. It seems to be only the FG/FF/SF and the Greens though, interested to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭I.R.Y.E.D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,247 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well I voted today just after lunch. I am ashamed to say at least 50 per cent of my family will not vote.

In the European election I gave Ming 100 abd that idiot Peter Casey 10,000. They will not get in from my vote anyway.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement