Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Dogs Owners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Come on so, 20 years experience, start the criteria and let's put at least 1 dog breed on the list to be banned.....

We can add more later but let's start simple.

Any I don't care about families and kids, especially as your only using it as an emotive argument, which should not be a reason to allow dangerous dogs with families and kids anyway.

If a dog is dangerous it's dangerous. If fact starting this will probably save lives of families and kids in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I've seen hundreds of labs around, I have 2 of them myself. I don't think I've ever seen a Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Labs are the world's most popular dog and they're almost universally loved and tolerated.

I've read some strange internet stats about the amount of labrador bites but I don't really believe it. Maybe I'm just another owner thinking my breed is harmless but when you see them working as guide, assistance, autism, therapy dogs you're dealing with almost a different species than some of the breeds being talked about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Escapees

Comparison between attacks or deaths by different dog breeds are meaningless and in fact very biased if you do not take the popularity of each breed into consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

No one said that, absolutely ignorant post.

Children should know how to behave around any animals they might come in contact with. More you know, the better.

Restricted breeds list doesn't mean those dogs are dangerous.

Any dog 20kg and over have possible ability to do serious damage to adult.

Any small dog has possible ability to do serious damage to children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Yeah, this, and anyone trying to claim that Labradors or Golden retrievers or whatever are more dangerous than, say, Rhodesian Ridgebacks because they are responsible for more bites is not making a good faith argument. Or else doesn't have even a basic understanding of statistics.

TBF that poster didn't quite say that explicitly - presumably because he knows well what a ridiculous claim it would be, but I think it's still a deeply disingenuous comment.

I've read some strange internet stats about the amount of labrador bites but I don't really believe it.

Well it's probably true in absolute terms, ie, there are so few Rhodesian Ridgebacks around that it would be very hard to find one to get bitten by. Labradors, OTOH, as you say…

But that doesn't mean Labs are more dangerous than Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Find 1000 of each, and see how many have bitten - that will give a more accurate idea.

strange internet stats about the amount of labrador bites

Nothing strange about it, it just shows when some owners intentionally or unintentionally fook up any dog, then there are consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Anyway, don't think either labs or ridgebacks are the problem here, they're a bit different to the Manson family of canine genetics that seems to have been imported from USA

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

where in the quote you posted did I say that?

however, let’s start with Bully XL, perhaps copy Germany or UK list of dangerous dogs.

Whilst at the same time enforcement of restricted breads eg 100% of the time muzzled in public. Including ridgebacks, which from you user name I assume you own.

Who I am sure wound not hurt a fly etc etc etc

• Advertisement

The reason American pitbulls don't have a much stronger bite than Retrievers (though they are ahead, even in absolute terms) is because they are smaller. So all you'd have to do would be measure the bite strength in terms of the weight of the dog (or average weight, perhaps).

But it's like any law, whether age for drinking, or blood levels for alcohol: there's no perfect number but that doesn't make legislation impossible, and people claiming it does generally have an agenda, IMO.

Second, the claim that children would be unhappy because their pitbulls are being castrated (UK law allowed a period for requesting exemptions for existing dogs under certain conditions; so Ireland could do the same) just doesn't matter much. Not compared to the fact that it could be saving the chld's life.

And if the dog is actually removed because the parents haven't bothered to apply for an exemption within the stated time period, well TBH, that's all the more reason to remove the dog for the child's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Luna84

I was bitten by a labrador when I was 16. Never complained to owner or anyone else. The owners probably never even knew the dog bite me. I was walking by the house on my way home from work and the f*cker came out and bite me on the hand. It was in the country side and he was roaming around all the time in and around the area of the owners house. I was more careful after that when walking by. I had a small bag on my back that I brought to work for my lunch and water which I used to take off and shield myself from him by swinging it and shouting when he came at me after the bite incident.

From 1979 to 1998 Labs have been involved in 5 fatal maulings in the USA. Rhodesian Ridgebacks 1. The most fatal attacks were from humans, over 350,000 deaths, then Pitbull Terriers 76, followed by Rottweilers 44.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks are not known for being aggressive. Ridgebacks are protective of children and other household members. These are excellent natural watchdogs and family protectors, but they do need to know that the owner is in charge.

Have two, not purebreds, because simply couldn't afford the price (rather put money towards to care of them) and they are excellent.

I think poor- or in-breeding due to demand could be a possible reason too: we did puppy training with a bunch of other dogs all around the same age, and only one of them was so weird that not only did his owner seem scared of him during the classes, but he actually bit a couple of the trainers. He was a golden retriever - absolutely beautiful dog to look at, but I wouldn't have had him in the house. One day I said to the woman - just for something to say, as I was standing beside her - about what a good-looking dog he was, and she said, proudly "Oh yes, he's already sired one litter of pups."

I thought to myself that I would never ever buy a so-called purebreed without meeting both parents, because that dog was not safe. I never knew whether the woman herself had handled him badly or whether there was some other explanation, but he wasn't a rescue - I'm sure he had all the papers for breeding. And I would not have wanted a pup from a dog like that, however handsome he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So why if they aren’t dangerous, or a real threat (if they turn) are they on a restricted list? You’re playing with words here

Threat level and consequences from dogs turning is key here. Large and strong and powerful dogs present far deadlier threat if they turn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Quitelife

those that have pitbulls or XBullies don’t care about other people

Just to say, there's almost nothing enforced in this country when it comes to dogs. Breeding, ownership. Shelters full, because of too many stupid people.

I know plenty posters here don't like when it's being said it's not a dog but the owner, but that's exactly what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You’re espousing an idea where humans cannot ever make a mistake and let their guard down. That’s an impossibility. It’s a combination of human error, human recklessness and the dogs themselves.

Even educated and responsible owners cannot guarantee that some of these “monster” type dogs won’t ever have an episode due to whatever circumstances. And an episode from these dogs usually results in devastation. We’re not talking about a very small dog turning nasty..

There are always plenty of factors in play I guess. Myself I was very lucky, when getting dogs in Ireland. My first here was a black lab, she's 14 this year and amazing experience thanks to the breeder, she got a great start to her life, when visiting her home place first time, pups were running in the paddock with two goats, hens and some rabbits. No pressure on time spending looking at them and interacting with them to pick the right one. She's still alive and always has been great companion to us. She did the same for the two young girls too. Even they are bigger stronger, they absolutely respect her, to watch how they play and interact is something. And the same experience was when I was getting another pup 2 years ago, we spent good few hours just in the middle of the mayhem of 15 weeks old pups and their mother putting a manners on them, she was purebred Rhodesian Ridgeback, didn't see the father Border collie. But again no disappointment, I was able to see happy pups in great environment, which gave them great start to the life. I suspect in both cases, if I pointed my finger after 5 minutes watching and say I take this one, I would be politely asked to fook off😁.

I think when people getting a dog, doesn't matter the size or breed, should realise it takes work and commitment. And it is rewarding for both human and the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

To my mind , they should be banned full stop. All in the country should be euthanised . If that won’t fly they should be neutered

• Advertisement

A stray Doberman started hanging around our house years ago . Daddy called the dog pound or rspa . A man came out in a lorry to lift it and the man just picked it up and put in the passenger seat of his cab . It was a friendly enough dog but no way could it be trusted near people

You’re espousing an idea where humans cannot ever make a mistake and let their guard down. That’s an impossibility. It’s a combination of human error, human recklessness and the dogs themselves.

That's certainly not what I'm doing.

What's the "monster" type of dog? If you refering to XL bullies, I'd somehow agree, because it's very new breed and as it is there must be a lot of inbreeding involved etc.

I'm not playing with words, that list doesn't make much sense anyway and at the end is pointless to have a list on paper and no action on the streets. The very basic rule of dog being on the leash in public is ignored by plenty of dog owners and authorities. So what do you think ban will achieve?

I'll give you an answer, sweet fook all.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Ella108

Wondering, are border collies/ or their variation mix breeds, safe to be around? Small or big, I feel anxious and sometimes I get a fright when a dog approaches me out of nowhere, fast when I am out on walks esp alone. The owners are like 'Oh, the dog is too friendly' etc

Defo not, they are like a sharks. Best to cull all of them!

Just kidding, this thread wouldn't be the best one to look for an advice, way too much búllshit posts. There's Pet's section on boards, you'll have a better chance to get honest advice there.

Edit: https://www.boards.ie/categories/pets-pet-care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

These XL Bully's were not bred for any purpose other than being violent and aggressive and have not been around for very long as a breed.

Every other breed were bred with some sort of purpose in mind be it work or companion based and were used initially in this purpose.

There was no reason to breed XL Bully's and that is why they should be banned and why people who want to keep them are essentially irresponsible dog owners as they want a dog which has zero purpose other than it looks intimidating.

All dogs can cause harm but most aren't so ridiculously over bred for strength and aggression like these are and so if there was never a real need in the first place there is no need to keep them around any longer.

Bad owners are a problem but at least a bad owner who owns a cocker spaniel isn't a danger to others, this is not the case with these dogs.

It depends if they know you or not . Great dogs if they know you but a torture for postmen .

Generally as far as I’ve seen great with children

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭whitelaurel

Xl bullies and their owners should be put down. It would be no loss.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Whoever the dog kennel expert type thing was interviewed on the 9oclock news tonight had it spot on.

A lot of these dogs are owned by people who are lighter than the dog they own. They have absolutely no hope of controlling their animal. It's honestly just stupid, there's no other word for it. Pure stupidity.

As for these XL Bully types, wouldn't matter if you're built like a brick shithouse, you have no chance. Be like trying to fight the tide coming in. I can only assume the people who are happy to have these in their home are not the sharpest tools in the box, there is no other explanation for it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Advertisement