Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn advice

Options
  • 07-06-2024 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

Ok, so i want a nice grass lawn, im not going to level it but i would like to smooth it out. Loads of buttercups, crab grass, moss, dasies, dandellion and some other things, which i dont want. 180m2 in back. 80m2 at front.

Live in co cork and the soil seems to be ok, drains well.

I put down some greenforce 4 in 1 killed the moss, in april, spent a few hours raking it out still masses there, didnt seem to kill the weeds.

Been doing some reading and thinking of getting a cheap scarifier in autumn. I'm not sure if i should put down something like dicophar now to kill the weeds, it should last about 3 months i think. So i can then scarify and top dress sep/oct.

To fill in the ruts and bumps i was going to get some top soil (35kg) and sand (20kg), maybe put down a mixed bag of each after each time i mow and just brush it in. (i'll also stop using the grass collector when i mow, and it is just a small amount)

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShadowSA

Get a mulching mower, helps feed the grass. Mow regularly and don't mow too low.

I also have loads of creeping buttercup. I call it wilding. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Babyreignbow

you could probably hire out a scarifier and get it done at the moment before the weather warms up too much. If it's very unlevel get some lawn sand and top soil mix and level it out with a home made dredge or rake and then top dress and overseed. You should have a nice green healthy lawn within a month for mowing if it stays well watered. Once it's seeded it will have the rest of the season to bed itself in so come autumn all you'd need to do is give it an autumn feed (like an aftercut 4 in 1 autumn) which will help kill off moss and other weeds and keep it healthy over the winter months.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I have a husqvarna battery mower which has a mulcher kit available, it's 50 euro, might chance that, don't fancy buying a new mower tbh, with the battery and charger I'm kinda tied to husqvarna (have their strimmer as well)

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/lawn-mower-attachments/mulch-kit/?article=582872801

Screwfix have an electric scarifier for about 80 euro, was thinking of just getting that, gets ok reviews I think.

The garden is very uneven, when they dug my well I never smoothed it properly so there are tyre tracks dips under the grass. I was thinking spending the summer adding topsoil/ sand do fill in the gaps.

Maybe I'd be better just scarifying now then levelling, are those lawn lutes worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭ShadowSA

Scarifier from screwfix seems what most people buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭TheSunIsShining

You'd be amazed at how little 55kg will cover!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Babyreignbow

My lawn is pretty small so I got away with a metal rake so it depends on how much you want to invest. You could always make a straight edge if you had any wood offcuts laying around and fill the dips first then raking over or brushing in areas when you see fit. I wouldnt think theres much difference between buying one for 80 and hiring for a day so that sounds like good investment.

Scarify first then level, then overseed and fertilise and water in, you'll have a nice lawn in no time. Don't worry about the weeds, you can treat the lawn afterwards and throughout the gowing season and the healthier your grass is the less you will have to contend with weeds.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

Does anyone have experience with a husqvarna mulch kit?

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/lawn-mower-attachments/mulch-kit/?article=582872801

It appears to have a plug at the back and a different blade, its about 50 euro so might chance it, not any reviews online.

I went and bought a few more bags, so i'll scarify this week, then put down 105kg of topsoil 40kg of sand and 25kg of compost, on the 180m2. See how that gets on. I have a feeling it will just vanish but can always add more later.

Advertisement