Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to randomise names on polling papers?

Options
  • 07-06-2024 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭

With the European elections today people had super long voting papers to work their way through. There is a very real chance that the people towards the bottom of these papers will be at a disadvantage when it comes to voting preference. Especially for lower order votes (e.g. 3rd/4th/5th preference), which might not be super important to the voter but have a very real impact on the candidate.

I know in Australia they randomise the names to avoid what they call donkey voting (where they vote for candidates just in the order they appear on the paper), is this something we could or should look at?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

How could you find your first preference on a long ballot paper with 25 randomised order of names?

Perhaps 50% of ballots could be printed in reverse order, but even that is daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

It was amusing to see my local council ballot paper this morning - first name on the paper (alphabetical, of course) was the candidate who had to withdraw because she got "go-away" money from a developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,491 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve a to no issue with go away money.

If someone wants to build beside me, is be annoyed but liken honestly I might I my be annoyed to the tune of 10k

Or whatever. , but I wouldn’t hide it.

anyway good idea about randomising names. People do benefit from alphabetical order.

My kid starts with A and she diffidently benefits from a superior complex with her name been called first in every class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There would 100% be accusations of rigging the order of the ballot

You fix a problem that doesn’t exist and create a brand new one

• Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It was quite a short ballot really, once you filter out all the headbangers and arsrholes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They need to get bigger booths.

My slip was twice as long as the kittle shelf I had to lean on. Was quite awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,635 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Easier to just ban from voting anyone who is too stupid to be able to read 25 names on a list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's an interesting proposition but I'd like to see a bullet proof, guaranteed no interference randomisation process.

I agree about people being at a disadvantage due to the number standing for election.

I'm not sure it's just those at the bottom though.

I have a sneaking suspicion that quite a few voters only went to the 5th or 6th preference who if there were only 10 or 11 on the ballot paper would have gone all the way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Aussie system is random per ballot paper. Much more expensive to print.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭DubCount

Maybe print 2 columns to make it easier to see all candidates.

Honestly though, 27 candidates is nuts. Maybe require a certain threshold of council support or TD support like for presidential elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Is there any evidence of an actual problem here?

Two column ballot papers cause huge increases in spoiled votes and also people voting for the entirely wrong person

An inexplicable level of elected reps have surnames that start with letters earlier in the alphabet, particularly considering many of the most common Irish surnames do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭standardg60

I would say definitely, i still have a Yellow Pages directory, and a lot of the listings start with AA, AAA, AAAA etc.

Random listing would eliminate any morons, and there has to be some who just go 1234 from the top down.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the majority of people I’d imagine have their minds made up before they go to the polling station. So it’s probably inconsequential as to the order.

I second the suggestion though that the booths were too small. The counters in them were tiny……….

• Registered Users Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭elperello

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

There has been some serious academic research on what was called Alphabet Voting by Christopher Robson and the late Brendan Walsh:

https://aei.pitt.edu/98843/1/GRS71.pdf

If it was a significant issue in 1973, how much more so now?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

That nazi Barret was at the top of mine.

I'm with the above posters who would be on for banning anyone dumb enough not to look at all the options.

Seriously, this isn't hard. If you've ever put a square peg into a square hole, you can do something as simple as this.

This isn't idiocracy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

i wonder do they select a few random orders and do them in batches or is every one random.

with 10 candidates there's 3.6 million possible orders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,291 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not at all. I for one am delighted to see the right wing dickhead vote fragmenting itself into impotent splinters.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The fianna fail third choice candidate in MNW was second from top on the ballot and could benefit from the civil war / 'party first' vote.

Although having said that, their three candidates were in the first seven of a 27 strong field... These lads know what they're doing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I've been thinking about this for a few days now and so far I haven't come up with any major negatives.

Would it be an idea to send out a "dummy" voting paper(s) along with our polling cards?

It would give people a chance to study all the candidates an and do searches etc on the unfamiliar ones (even though some this time don't even seem to exist on the internet).

Voters could familiarise themselves where the candidates are on the paper or even fill it in and bring it with them and transfer them to the official voting paper in the polling station. It would be handy for elections with a stupid amount of candidates like today.

Once I got to around #14 today I couldn't remember who I wanted to give my lowest preferences to as many of them were unfamiliar to me. If I already had a copy with me I could have the paper filled in in a couple of minutes.

I don't think there would be an issue with privacy or GDPR as your "homework" is in your possession at all times.

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Actually, a crib sheet is not a bad idea.

Say, a blank voting list with, say, room for 5 or ten spaces to allow the voter to enter name, preference, position on the ballot paper.

I am sure the designer of the voting card, who left off the title of the card so had no idea what it was, could design it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,172 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The ballot topper for the local elections in Ashbourne had supposedly changed his name to Ashbourne-Loftus due to his love of the town. I wonder if he'd have done the same if running in Wicklow or Westport.

Guaranteed that a fair few of those would end up in the ballot box by people thinking its either the actual ballot paper, or it lets them "vote twice"

They wouldn't get counted so the latter isn't an issue but could easily cause some people to not actually vote.

That is the evidence.

There's 48 TDs from A→D, 49 if O Cuiv did manage that trick to get up the ballot; out of 160.

The distribution of surnames in this country does not support that being proportional, particularly with the significant concentration of surnames beginning with M (Murphy which is far and away the most common surname; any Mc variant) and O

This 1901 list has numbers; yes its a significant amount of time ago but the top ten is still mostly the same now so things really haven't changed much.

https://www.barrygriffin.com/surname-maps/irish-tops/Ireland/1901/

https://extra.ie/2023/01/07/news/irish-news/irelands-most-common-surname-revealed

1901: Murphy, Kelly, Walsh, Ryan, Sullivan, Byrne, O'Brien, Doyle, Reilly, Gallagher

2021: Murphy, Kelly, Ryan, Walsh, Byrne, O'Brien, O'Connor, O'Sullivan, McCarthy, and Doyle.

From tallying, people voting 1→X down the ballot is exceptionally rare, but people voting for their favoured candidate(s)/party and then filling the rest in alphabetically is common enough; as is someone voting 1-2-3 for a specific party in alphabetical order. But you're going to demand evidence of that now too, even though its absolutely impossible to provide, aren't you?

Take a look at areas with 3 or more same party candidates today - lots of FF, FG, SF; some Aontu and Labour - and there'll be a pattern again.

A big SPECIMEN or something could be printed across them. The staff in the polling station would be giving them the real one anyway so there shouldn't be any confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Wow, 30 years I have been eligible to vote, and I literally just found out yesterday the candidates are in alphabetical order 😂

I have never looked or taken any notice of their order! Seems so obvious now...….....

Advertisement