Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Referendum pay rates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MichelleFo

Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JacenSolo

I felt it better to ask here rather than start a new thread. I’m doing polling clerk for the local/european. I wanted to clarify something. 6:30 to 10:30 is fine if long. During breaks am I allowed leave the polling station?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭billyhead

You can't leave for example the boundary of the polling station i.e school gates. You can go outside for fresh air but not for example wander up to the local shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nicola123

Can I ask, who pays the staff at the polling centres? Is it the local council that the payment comes from or government or where?

Local council but ultimately the Dept of Housing and the exchequer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Got a poll clerk job for Friday. I see there is no travel or subsistence allowed now and also to bring your own refreshments. Seems quite poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

you don't get a break…

The courts look after that, courts look after basically everything bar organising the people to count the local elections, that's the council who do that themselves. Take Saturday for an example, it will be court appointed people to open the boxes and sort out the European papers for them to go to the various count centres and then the council staff take over to count locals.

You do get breaks but they need to be taken during quiet periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Itchyfeet89

Who counts the European elections? Court or Council staff? Will counting for this start on Saturday or Sunday? Do you get breaks at the counting?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

You are made count for 18 hours straight. Not even a toilet break 😁.

If in Dublin, meals are good. Tea coffee more or less on tap.

• Advertisement

There are commodes in the counting and polling centres.

Are you actually serious, no toilet or food breaks for 18 hours straight??

You didn't read my post ,did you ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3 justcurious321

I’ve got myself a last minute job at the count however have never worked at any election before. Is it really 18hours? I start at 8am so does this mean I have to arrange a way home for 2am?! Also I’ve received no other information other than my appointment letter which only really states its location and start time, will I be receiving training or does this all happen on the day? Also I read on this thread that pay is €272 for first 12 hours, anyone know if this is still accurate?
    Appreciate it

I am wondering the same, getting home at that hour would be tricky for me also

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭interlocked

It depends on the size of the count, the individual returning officer and how the counts are progressing. If, in the local elections, there is a prospect of completing them that night,or the second night, then they may keep working at it until the very early hours. If on the other hand, there is no likelihood of completion, or recounts to be done, then they'll call it early and return the following day.

I've left a local count and met count staff for the Europeans, arriving in the morning!

The Europeans, especially the large constituencies will in all likelihood go on for days, in those cases they will probably finish at a fairly reasonable time each night.

Thanks. Do you know if there is any leeway with time for travel reasons. I'm due in at 8am on Sunday morning for the count but there's a limited train service on Sundays compared to other weekdays so I wouldn't get in until around 9 or so. Would this rule me out? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

it should rule you out, yeah. You have a job starting at 8am. You’ve to be there for 8am

These roles don’t suit everybody. You have to be available early and late, and have your own transport (or lifts).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sssddd

Does anybody know how much the pay is for poll clerk? I am doing it tomorrow but I didn't receive any details on pay, etc.

Does anybody know how long it takes usually to get paid after the Counting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Yes,and if you read the posts in this thread you will too.

There was talking at the presiding officer training of us getting paid subsistence. The advice was to fill in the expense sheets and they'll make a decision by the time they get them all back. Those of us who have to pick up and deliver our boxes get mileage for doing it anyway.

in my “count appointment letter” it only mentions Saturday, but it says “local and European elections” so does this mean I could be called back on Sunday or would they have mentioned this possibility in the letter? I’m not working in a Dublin centre so I’m assuming it’s not as big.
    Also does anyone know should I be expecting any more emails, I haven’t got any since I sent my details off so do I just show up on the day? I’ve seen people talk about getting paid for training but when is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sssddd

I will what?

They will normally ask people if they are free to come back in next day.

I see subsistence is being paid to poll clerks and presiding officers of 18.46.

Won't make us rich 🤑

Do you know if this will be automatically paid to us with our salary payment or do we each have to apply separately?

I was informed today that as my residence is less than 100km from the Count Centre, I won't qualify for subsistence. My residence is 96 Km from the count centre which given it's a good road is within an hour and 15 mins trip but I'm not a fan of driving while tired very early in the morning or in the middle of the night and b& b's are way too expensive and that's for basic ones in dodgy areas. I might have to leave it off on Sunday 🙈🙈

anyone get any type of confirmation email after sending their details? Only got one letter with very little info.
    also, anyone know if you’re allowed your phone in the count or are they strict on devices?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

All done now as the poll clerk. The lack of any food/drink (Bar sneaking some instant coffee from school staff room) is very poor I think.

Also, if you really wanted a presiding officer could easily get into a ballot box and change all of the results on the ballots. Just have to do it from the polling office in your car to the count center and reseal the box (With the…zip ties)

I would recommend it though. Its great craic and the time flies!

Advertisement