Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Race Thread 2024 **spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,352 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't know if the stage will continue today… on Eurosport commentators mentioning there may not be enough medical support left to cover it, as they deal with the number of injuries.

From ProCycling:

VAN BAARLE Dylan (Team Visma | Lease a Bike) moved to the hospital with a shoulder injury.

KRUIJSWIJK Steven (Team Visma | Lease a Bike) moved to the hospital with unknown injuries.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

As expected at the Dauphiné Stage 5: The riders will ride the remaining 20k towards the finish in Saint-Priest. There will be no stage winner and no times changes for GC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Thud

..and no sprint for Sam

No, and hopefully no damage sustained either. I didn't see him named in the list of crashed riders on Pro Cycling so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Thud

Has he done enough to get the tour selection?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,714 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Cycling News claim that

"Nearly everyone in the peloton looks to have sustained some damage from that incident in some way shape or form"

Remco has a gash on his leg. Looks very clean like the type you get from a bike part.

Rog of course went down in the crash.

Not sure where the info comes from but 30 riders apparently involved.

VAN BAARLE Dylan (Team Visma | Lease a Bike)

VERGALLITO Luca (Alpecin - Deceuninck)

TOUMIRE Hugo (Cofidis)

POWLESS Neilson (EF Education - EasyPost)

MÜHLBERGER Gregor (Movistar Team)

CORT Magnus (Uno-X Mobility)

ROGLIČ Primož (BORA - hansgrohe)

EVENEPOEL Remco (Soudal Quick-Step)

LEKNESSUND Andreas (Uno-X Mobility)

PACHER Quentin (Groupama - FDJ)

LANDA Mikel (Soudal Quick-Step)

AYUSO Juan (UAE Team Emirates)

NAESEN Oliver (Decathlon AG2R La Mondiale Team)

UMBA Santiago (Astana Qazaqstan Team)

GAZZOLI Michele (Astana Qazaqstan Team)

COMBAUD Romain (Team dsm-firmenich PostNL)

WELLENS Tim (UAE Team Emirates)

POLITT Nils (UAE Team Emirates)

KRUIJSWIJK Steven (Team Visma | Lease a Bike)

LEMMEN Bart (Team Visma | Lease a Bike)

HINDLEY Jai (BORA - hansgrohe)

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

These crashes, while we have always had incidents over the years, are quite worrying. This was a dead straight road albeit one with rain falling. What is it these days with riders falling off en masse? Is it really necessary to go descending in these conditions at 70/80 kmh? Are disc brakes and aero frames an actual disadvantage? I remember Sean Kelly, among others, weighing in on this after the Basque incident in April and it's important not to over react. But there is something in the cycling waters in recent seasons (10 years?) whereby too many riders are taking too many risks, with too little skill on show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Footage from the side of road shows the speeds involved

https://x.com/keyshawn__bava/status/1798722152763633671?s=46&t=GxIuxCwCL5-Eet2j65YTdA

https://x.com/keyshawn__bava/status/1798722152763633671?s=46&t=GxIuxCwCL5-Eet2j65YTdA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

I was wondering my Eurosport coverage was showing yesterday Tt again. Then I checked cycling news.
    that was a rough one. I’m not sure where the blame game will send this one. Road was greasy but Plugge is well p1ssed with all the riders Jumbo have lost to crashes this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Raymzor

freshly paved road had little grip in the rain. Road was smooth with no chipping on it like Ireland.

Dunbar and Healy off the Tour de Suisse lists now.

Healy is still down for the TDF for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,466 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not sure what can really be done - Basque country crash caused by roads in poor condition, this one by freshly laid and rain. I do remember one former rider (maybe Nico) saying that descents used to be a time to recover, whereas these days everyone carries on pushing.

Personally, I'd say it's better overall standard of the peloton means that more riders are still in the group at points in the race they wouldn't have been or it would've been a bit more strung out. So when something does happen, more are involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Catching up with the racing earlier, wtf, the break was sent the wrong way and lost a minute of their lead 30ks out??!

Eurosport lads talking about Gee and how its the ride of his life….were they not watching the Giro last year??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Wait till you try amateur racing, I will give you a lesson in taking risks without the skill to back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,738 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You would think that the teams have mapped out the route and would advise their riders of potential dangerous spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Logistically impossible for them to do with a calendar of race events teams attend.
    esch team gets a race manual that has all that information including last 3km and finish line details from the race organisers. But even the details in that can change as when the race route is planned ir might be decided after to contact local councils about road repairs (repairs and surface upgrades are done without road inspection by race organisers) often done in days leading up to a race event.

Raffferty in a strong break at the Dauphine, with Barguil, Soler, Martin.

There's been a heap more DNS & abandonments today.

Some mad performances there, Lazkano finishing ahead of Buitrago & Landa after 4000m+ of climbing, Tarling being in the front group halfway up the last climb, even Sam getting 3/4 of the way up the Ramaz before dropping, 10 mins after the likes of Froome

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Oh, I've been there! Survived multiple Gorey 3-Days but as a mate once said, we only do this for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I think Roglic has blown.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Jesus, did not expect that with 5k to go, got away with it in the end!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I think the idea of Rog or Remco as a TdF contender is just clickbait unless it's a 2013 kind of situation.

Top-notch f*cking around in the Tour of Britain.

Kopecky brakes to try and let Marjerus win, she celebrates too early, gets pipped on the line.

well it’s a “tired from the Giro” Pog or one of the “not fully recovered” Rog, Remco or Jonas so it could be very interesting

(Or it could be over but the second rest day)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I wonder what bearing the snap French National Assembly elections will have on the Tour?
    The first round is on Sunday June 30th while the race is still in Italy, but the second round is Sunday July 7th, the day of a hilly stage in France.
    Closing roads through towns and villages could make it tricky to allow people access to the ballot, even if it's only for a few hours at a time in each place.
    I wonder if they could perhaps bring the rest day forward and go racing again on the Monday?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd cross out the middle two, It is between Pog and Jonas. And it will then depend on how well Pog has recovered but while, no matter who you are, he has completed the Giro, he never looked that phased by it so I don't think he will be far off top form but that can change easily in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Paddigol

It's impossible to say how Vingo's recovery has gone and where his conditioning is at. But if I had a gun to my head, there's no way I'd bet against Pog. He looked immense in the Giro, regardless of strength/ otherwise of the field, while hardly breaking a sweat and with the UAE B team as back up.

Unless Remco pulls some form out of the bag, ambushes everyone in week 1 and somehow hangs in through to week 3, I can't see him ever troubling Pog.

Heart says Rog is a genuine contender, but head says its a bit like the last days of Contador when he was up against the Sky Train… he'll be there/ thereabouts, but never really look like taking the race by the scruff.

Having said all of that, I wouldn't be surprised to see a few surprise packages lasting the course in the top 5 of GC. So many top quality young riders coming out of the woodwork these days. Whether they can stay within striking distance of Pog to week 3 is another question.

TLDR; Pog to gobble up stage wins and look supreme on the top step of the podium.

Advertisement