Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 lob it in

If that's the team that starts tomorrow you would have to say it's our strongest team, good subs bench to,I think we will win by five or six points, Dublin usually not as good in Croke park as they are in Parnell park.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Will Donnelly and Carey start? Seems to be something not right here but if they're OK then that's great news.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 neverbet

Bit early for player of the year. John Donnelly best for me SO FAR, closely followed by Cian Kenny ,Huw Lawlor and Paddy Deegan. Shane Murphy has been one of the better newcomers along with Jordan Molloy and Owen Wall. Our strongest team picked imo and if that means you are conservative I have no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Butterbeans

I'd expect Donnelly to start but maybe not Carey. Agreed, strong team, strong bench

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

As far as I know donnelly doesn't have a break. But has significant damage to a ligament in his thumb that requires surgery that would end his year.its not his catching hand so is going to strap it and persever .

Carey is a miracle if he is back .those boots must work miracle's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Marrooned

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Box to box

Lyng has a habit of naming dummy teams. He done in it in the all ireland despite blanchfield being ruled out early that week.It was said here early in the week that donnelly was going to try play the match and postpone surgery and thats exactly what's happening. Mikey Carey 100% was in a boot last weekend and got a scan but the results aren't clear. It probably is unlikely he will play If he was in a boot a few days ago unless it was more of a precaution. Deegan back to 7 and molloy midfield possibly.Mullen wasn't risked for the wexford match so he was always going to start barring a set back. Tom phelan hasn't played well since the cw game so he will have a point to prove when he comes on. This is a tricky match for kk and they wil have to have their homework done. Dublin will get belief from parnell Park

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭jamesbond2022

s Murphy will surely start for Carey the rest same as last day I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Carey and Donnelly both out warming up anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Conversations 3

Lining out as named on RTE coverage as well.

Hope things click for Billy Ryan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

First half has gone very well. Forwards have been sharp, backs have been on top for the most part and have used the ball well for the most part. Kenny has hit some good scores. Carey going off after 30 minutes the only real sour note so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Why are we not seeing more of our bench, especially Shine and Drennan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Try enjoy the win for a few hours at least.

Very enjoyable day out that, can't really fault anyone. Mullen scored 7 points and it was just effortless, pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Delighted with the workrate in the first half, won a lot of the rucks, got in blocks and hooks. Mullen was terrific, not just his scoring but got around the pitch and distributed the ball well. Good to see TJ back scoring from play. Blanchfield did well but could have got a black card. Kenny, Cody, Keoghan, Lawlor all had good games.

4 weeks to prepare for the next game. We had a very wet and windy Spring followed by nearly weekly games over the last 7 weeks so very little time to work on running patterns and ball usage. Hopefully Carey okay and no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hogans heroes

Brillant performance today and hopefully drive it on now .class from mullen today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Comerman

Some excellent plays today and passing and Puck outs were sharper. I thought Donnelly (broken thumb) and TJ should have been given a break with 10/15 minutes left. Also to hear Jackie Tyrell calling his club mate Cian Kenny Cian Lynch was embarrassing (by mistake) 😳 has anyone got the scorers stat stuff 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Brilliant first half. Completely shut down Dublin and ruthless with the ball. Mullen makes some difference to the team. Dublin were embarrassing but can only beat what's in front of you. I was disappointed with the second half. Would have loved to see this team kick on and put another 2-15 on the board and definitely think the bench should have been used earlier but those are minor minor gripes. Nice break now before we play the loser of tomorrows game with Cork playing the winners as its hard to see Dublin or Wexford causing any issues in the interim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I know Dublin were poor today but I thought we were really on it from the throw in today and deserve a bit more credit for our performance than we’re getting.

The work rate was savage all over the field but I thought Mullen and Billy Ryan worked their socks off , both were getting in hooks and blocks as far back as our full back line and were always available and giving options to a KK player in possession. Mullen really showed his class today and for me is the difference between us being a good team and being All Ireland contenders.

Everyone played well today really so too many to mention but also thought Cian Kenny was immense and has really cemented his place on the team.
    Half back line were excellent in the first half and hopefully Carey’s injury isn’t too bad. Blanchfield has grown into a real leader on this team and Richie Reid used the ball really well even if today’s game suited him down to the ground.

Mikey did an excellent job on Burke and Huw was excellent as usual…. still worried about Tommy , thought he looked very unsure of himself early in the game but to be fair he played his way into it and got better as the game went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Another great game from David Blanchfield. He is having a super season. I have a feeling Clare might turnover Limerick tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭kksaints

You have to be happy with that result and performance from us regardless of how poorly Dublin played. Fantastic workrate from the forwards, Mullen was everywhere in the 1st half from the full back line to the full forward line, Ryan and Donnelly harried and hassled further up the pitch and when we did win the ball Keoghan and TJ were moving to receive it. Half back line deserve credit also, they did the hard work and used the ball wisely for the most part. Kenny was excellent, always free to receive the ball and hit some excellent points. Hopefully him and Carey arent too badly injured.

Eoin Cody took the 1st goal brilliantly, he drifted in and out of the game a bit but there's always a hope of something special like his goal today and in Parnell. Puckouts were varied and on the money, full credit to Eoin Murphy and whoever realised that we needed to change it up after so many years.

Like some of the posters above I'd be a little disappointed in bringing on Wally and Fogarty in the 60th minute. The match was won and while we had to take Kenny off plus it was smart to take off Mullen and Lawlor, we really should have brought on the likes of Drennan and Shine to give them game experience. But it's a very minor complaint and overall it was a great day for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hogans heroes

Paddy deegan did brilliant to turn over the ball for eoin Cody's goal, looks like in himself and can Kenny we have found a midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭kk.man

Great stint in the office only the opposition was poor. Hard to tell with a game like that.

Mullen was on song and definitely more intelligent use of the ball especially in the first half. The 15 that started are up there with any 15 in the game at present but in a competitive game I wouldn't have great confidence in the subs bench especially if we met limerick in all ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭blackcard

Have to be happy with today. 3-25 from play to 1-10 is very dominant in any one's language. Admitedly 2 of the goals came from Dublin mistakes. Munster final loser or Wx/Ls in the semi final. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

When a match is that one sided both teams performances have to be a factor, it was crazy in all honesty how passive Dublin were, not taking anything away from ye but it shouldn't be happening at this level how often Kilkenny players could strike the ball in a standing position. Dublin for whatever reason crumbled mentally today and ye were ruthless enough to have the game done by half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I understand that Billy, they didn’t play with any belief for sure. Happy with our performance and what we were trying to do though, especially in the first half. As said already you can only play what’s in front of you.

Post edited by Charlie69 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Village87

Galway were arguably the worst team in the Leinster championship this year and are lucky not to be in the Joe Mcdonagh next year. No way did they deserve a draw against Kilkenny, Antrim had them on the ropes before a sending off, well bet by both Wexford and Dublin . Carlow had Galway in the first match and had they believed they could beat them or got them later they could well have beaten Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭usualstripes

We are where we want to be now. In a semi final with 4 weeks of a break to get ourselves in as peak condition as we can be.

Absolutely dreadful from Dublin yesterday. Its hard to see how they were so lame and it wasn't ideal preparation for us but we can only play whats in front of us. Dublin brought us down to their level at times in the 2nd half bit we had the damage done after 10 minutes.

Mullen popping up everywhere and his contribution to us is massive. We still have issues with opposition players coming through the middle but deegan is a better bet in midfield.

Massive step up the next day out but we've put ourselves in a great position. Cody is deadly at times. Not worried at all about carey but Donnelly is a worry. Hopefully he can work through the injury. He's vital for us.

Looks like we will be up against the losers of the munster final but if clare are beaten today expect wexford to give them a serious battle in the quarter final.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Great to get the win and be through the easiest route..mullen is outstanding..Carey looked to be holding his shoulder coming off I think?..other than that it's hard to learn much from last night..Dublin were very disappointing..as others said we could have brought on more subs and sooner..

Big question now is are we better off if clare win today and we have a chance to catch limerick in a semi..?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭kilkennyboy

It was over after 15 minutes .Dublin went away from what had worked for them in parnell hard running at our defence and started taking on high percentage shooting .it's easy have a plan until you get rocked by a start like that.we had so much time on the ball and actually over did the passing at times.2.18 at half time and another 1.9 could have been more. 2 goals were gifts.

Being really picky and possibly over thinking it a little. My concerns would be.

We didn't create much goal scoring opportunities ourselves .

Tommy Walsh will be targeted later in the year.

Didn't use our bench or maybe the lads we are calling for aren't at the level we hoped.

We find ourselves back in a all Ireland simi with pretty much the same team as last 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 lob it in

Poor old "for change" must be crying into his cornflakes this morning.

Advertisement