Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [new thread available]

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mallon looked good for Bohs when he played, but he kept on getting injured and could never have a consistent run in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

He’s been ok, but the second goal yesterday was a massive howler from him, which I’m sure even he’d admit. Not too sure about him for the third either.

It’s been a poor enough start from Stephen Kenny, I’ve even seen some comments that suggests that the knives are out for him already. It’s ridiculous after five games, but it’s kind of why I had reservations about hiring him in the first place. There is definitely a hangover from the Ireland job with some people, with snide comments about his performance in post match interviews, to comments like it’s all about the possession stats never mind the results ( something that Kenny never even hinted at being his approach.) A lot of this coming from non Pats fans in fairness. He has the job now and should be given time. The team just looks in a bad place at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Hard to imagine Kenny not having Pats competitive within the next year or so. But Pats were competitive last year too so let’s see how competitive they can get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Of that flurry of signings Bohs made in the summer of 2022 I think...how many have worked out? Are they moved on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I would have the st pats keeper over the Dundalk keeper any day, Munroe isnt great and needs to be replaced.

I think all goal keepers have howlers, even the best in the world.

As for Stephen Kenny, its very harsh of people to judge him on a team that isnt even his, they should wait until he puts a squad together before judging him.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Our transfers have been pretty awful the last 2-3 seasons, and the main reason we're struggling.

James Clarke and Afolabi the only real successes (Dayle Rooney has been quite good this season as well).

Of the '22 signings, McDonnell, McDaid, Connolly, Akintunde, Kirk and Clarke still here.

Ever since we switched to a more long term thinking strategy (longer deals, no cheap release clauses) the quality of player we've gotten in has plummeted.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Dundalk 2nd choice.he’s poor alright. Good shot-stopper but poor on crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Pity Shelvey didnt work out, I think he will go on to have decent career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Awful cup draw for us away to Derry. Continuing our streak of away draws in the cup from last year.

Bohemians vs Shamrock Rovers and Drogheda United vs Dundalk the other most notable ties. Could be some some deep runs this year by First Division or Non-League clubs.

• Advertisement

No cup run for Pats this year so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It feels like Derry at home to 'good' Premier Division sides is a guarantee over the years.....

That’s the top 4 teams in my pre-season league table prediction (excluding us) playing against each other in round 1. I’ll take that. If the surviving 2 can play each other in the 2nd round, that would be nice also.

Bray about as mid table as it gets in the First Division, but with the game sandwiched between 2 euro games, it will be a challenge still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We lost at home to Pats last year, not sure why everyone seems to think you have no hope.

A team like Pats will have that extra drive for the cup this year (not that they’ve struggled in recent years in it), as it’s probably their best remaining chance of making this year a successful one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I wouldn't like to pick the winner of a cup tie between Pat's and Derry with a gun to my head. Neither team will be happy with that draw.

• Advertisement

Our form this year is the simple reason. Three games v Derry, three defeats. I’d say we have next to no chance. It’s hard to be anything but pessimistic. Obviously I’d be delighted to be proven wrong.

Perhaps SK might have you playing better by the time that tie comes round?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

What's the issue with Pats in a nutshell? Is it underperforming player or is a massive clear out needed? You'd expect a bit of a new manager bounce but the forms as bad as it was with Daly. Presumably Kenny will look to bring in player next month when the transfer window opens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

Happy enough with a home game vs Longford for Galway United.
    At the start of the season I’d have been happy with surviving in the first season back in the top tier and maybe a bit of a cup run.
    Now half way through, still happy enough with where we are, unlucky in a few games, conceding late to Rovers back in March and Pats last week in particular stick out when could have had a point in those games. Stole a great point in Derry though 😀 ( tomorrow could be interesting)
    But we badly need a striker, hopefully something happens in July, defensively we’re pretty good.

You would hope so, but it’s hard to see there being that much of an upturn.

As to what’s gone wrong this year, I think it’s a mixture of a few things. Some underperformance for sure.Chris Forrestor is not playing as well this year. We have defensive issues. The loss of Lyness has been big I think, and also Sam Curtis. Lots of chopping and changing in the defence, with the suggestion that Joe Redmond is playing with a injury ( not sure if that’s true). Then upfront, Ruairi Keating hasn’t got the goals we’d hoped, Mason Melia is a great prospect, but still young. Jake Mulreany continues to be frustrating, just doesn’t contribute enough. Add it all up and it’s why we are where we are. We are terribly pedestrian in possession at times, which predates Stephen Kenny. He really needs to address that. It will be interesting to see who comes in during the window.

• Advertisement

Will probably be the off-season before he can properly address it. Maybe one of the handful of players that are available coming home from England in the summer will suit what Kenny is trying to do, but you’re often relying on luck there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

As a Longford fan, I am not happy about anything right now 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Comfortable night for Derry once they got ahead, we were never getting back into it.

Had a strong suspicion we'd lose up there tonight, we were never making it 270 mins of clean sheets against them. Best I've seen Derry in the 3 games this season. When they played with tempo they created things but when they slowed it down it was easy to defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Two poor sides in Drogheda although we probably had the best chance of the match that Mulraney should have scored. Lost McLoughlin and Redmond to injury which meant that we ended the match with a midfielder and a winger as our full backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Shelbourne making awfully hard work of putting the ball in the net again, in games where we're getting chance after chance. It must be conceded, my own man Jarvis, has been the worst culprit is recent weeks. Missed another guilt edge one v one with the goalie tonight. It's been a while since he scored in open play.

That said, still glad we got the 3 points, unlike last week, where again, we had countless one v ones with the goalie to hammer Sligo. Badly needed 3 points, which keeps us with that breathing space. Still, that gap at the top should be bigger, need to start getting more clinical or we will start to pay the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Absolutely thrilled with that performance from the blues tonight. Sligo are a balls of a team to play against with them being so negative so it was nice to just swat them aside so easily. Should have won by about 6 but we will take the 4-1 win. Roll on the league leaders now on Thursday. Home form is improving and we are now 15 points above the relegation play off spot.

Great times to be a blue. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yep, they have improved since our last night up there. Agreed, once Derry went in front we were never getting back in the game. Two soft goals conceded, Utd created very little. I don’t quite get why we start with the smaller wingers like McCarthy and Dervan but just lob balls over the top that they won’t win, then being on the taller forwards and try to actually play ball to them??

Frustrating, but on to Thursday and welcome the Drogs to EDP!

We weren’t great, but we won. Take that all day. Lovely bit of quality from Jarvis to get us out of jail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Derry are still hanging around, definitely wouldn't be surprised to see them win the league when all is said and done. Most impressive team I've seen in the flesh this season when they've swatted us aside multiple times.

Big game next Thursday now, 15 points clear of relegation places, level on points with the 4 time in a row champs and all while Baggley and Asamoah sat in the stands with us tonight. Podge is putting in some shifts for sure, unreal signing.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Fair result in United Park.

Either side could have one, either side could have lost.

Both sides lack quality. We (Drogheda) need at least four decent players to give us a chance of staying up.

• Advertisement

What’s the story with Asamoah? Are him and Baggley due back for Thursday?

Nah he's out for another 5 weeks, Baggley might make it back end of July, probably August though. It's him we miss most, Asamoah is just pace, not much else there with him but Baggley gives us an extra dimension creatively.

We need to strengthen the squad cause it's paper thing really when it comes to those kind first teamers being out, and no cover for Podge. Man is doing full games week in week out. Macadam is back in Fleetwood for treatment too I believe.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Not bad to be banging in 4 against Sligo without important players. Feel like a game like Thursday might suit us more than Sligo and Dundalk at home have.

We’re no good when teams park the bus against us, but with Waterford at home and coming off a game like that, I’d imagine Waterford will believe they can go toe to toe.

We were shocking again in the 1st half, bar the first couple of minutes.

So ponderous and slow. Making it easy to defend against.

We are a completely different team when we play with a bit of tempo, not sure why the manager doesn't try it more often!

We have been generally dreadful for large parts of this season, yet still 2nd and in a good position to challenge.

I just wonder how far we'd be ahead if we actually click?

Galway disappointing, came for the 0-0, and at half time thought theyd get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Yep it was our worst performance since losing at home to Bohs early in the season. A real case of Plan A got fcuked and we had no real Plan B, it's always been that way under JC.

Ye really are night and day when ye move it quick. Hoban was good tonight too I thought.

Hoban has 11 goals with a poor supply.

Imagine if we actually got the ball into him fast and often.

We tend to go safety first and often stink up the place in the first half especially in all honesty so it's a hard one to call, I expect Shels to win personally. We cough up some silly chances every game and the better quality attacks will take advantage, if Shels get their nose in front I don't see us breaking ye down, too well organised.

Sligo could and maybe should have had 3 in the first half. 2 for certain, under no illusions and neither will the manager be so I don't know about going toe to toe. Frustrate first and try to catch by going direct will be the order of the day I'd say. We do play some lovely football at times though

Parking the bus tends to be the way to succeed against us. We’re not great at breaking teams down but thrive in the chaos of an end to end game because we defend so well.

Ye Waterford will come onto us. Should suit us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

You're still upset that we turned you over at the RSC a few months ago, grabbing a goal from nowhere and then seeing it out, which is hilarious considering Waterford did a similar job on us at the Showgrounds last month.

It could have been 2-2 or 3-3 at HT and you're calling us negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Edit......

Actually I won't bite. I'll just say I'm glad we have progressed that we are now 2 goals away from being the most potent attacking team in the division (with two games in hand) , even without our most creative midfielder and one of our attack line and that we don't sit back against lesser teams at home anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

That was a good bounce back for Shels last night after the Sligo defeat still top of the league. Dundalk apart from that shot which hit the bar never really looked like threatening us, I just wish we could find it easier to put the ball in the back of the net to alleviate anxiety, too many of our one goal wins really should have been more comfortable two goals wins

Although he hasn't scored in open play for a while, it's still the moments he's creating that are getting us 3 points, and are the crucial difference. Alot of those 3 points turn to 1 without Jarvis, and we'd be second or third in the league. He just keeps coming up with a bit of magic here and there that's the difference.

In general play though, he is being double marked, but still not as gung ho as at the end of last season, running at lads every opportunity. As good as he has been so far, there's still another level or two in him that he's just not producing. Like against Rovers in Tallaght last year, was like lightning every time he got the ball.

He is the difference, and creating the moments so far still, but he can take it up another level or two, hit the form he hit at the end of last season. It will come though, and when it does, Shels go up another level to what everyone is seeing right now!

That's really what I was thinking when we got him, and saying the league was over, and he actually hasn't produced that form this season really. But it's in him, and he could really spark into life at any minute

Just felt it was important too, to keep people informed with in depth analysis of how Jarvis is doing. He's one of the most discussed topics on here

• Advertisement

Sure speaking of fellas having good seasons, Podge Amond has been unbelievable. Hit the top of the scorers charts this week and fully deserved, the work he does for the team and the leadership he provides is invaluable and I believe the genuine difference between us fighting for our lives at the bottom of the table and knocking on the door of European qualification at the other end of the table.

His football IQ and nous at just nicking in before defenders for flicks or headers and his ability to be in the right place at the right time for a finish haven't left him just yet. It's made all the more impressive when you think of his age and that he is still running hard pressing with 90+ minutes in the clock most weeks, very very rarely comes off and has nobody to actually start over him and give him a break.

Signing of the season so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

You started the discussion and you keep it going, still reckon the league is over?

Not to fan the flames of that conversation any further, but signing of the season is unquestionably Jarvis.

Has to be the front runner for player of the season in the league so far (if Rovers or Derry win the league then someone else from them will have likely pushed themselves into contention within the last 16-18 games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I used to enjoy this thread.

It was genuinely a good read with fair and interesting contributions from supporters of all teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement