Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendations for Estate Car

Options
  • 05-06-2024 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi all,

I want to buy an estate car.

Would anybody have some advice as to what brands would be most reliable and long wearing and value for money?

Ideally something greater than 1.6L engine.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,985 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you are looking for a big one check out the Skoda Superb 2 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

No sure what to recommend but definitely know what to avoid:

Mazda 6… They give lots of trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

you need to provide more detail. What is your budget? Mileage per year, seats/space needed etc.

otherwise you get told to buy a Skoda superb/octavia - life is too short to be that beige

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Skoda Octavia 1L petrol

Get one second hand for around 24k

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭trindade

I have a Corolla Touring Sport. It one the most reliable car in the market… It's extremely cheap to run with a big boot and well equipped. The 1.8 Hybrid engine is decent. Additionally, Toyota offers Toyota Relax - if you keep servicing the car at a Toyota dealership, you can get up to a 10-year warranty.

My wife also has a Corolla, and she paid 230 euros for the 85,000 km service at Grange Motors Westmeath (a Toyota dealership). The Corolla is probably the most rational purchase.

I also like the Octavia and Superb, but in this case I would go manual as the DSG is a sensitive gearbox that require a lot of care, otherwise it will break and the bill would be a few thousands.

There is also the Suzuki Swace, it's the same corolla touring sport but from Suzuki. It's same look and mechanics. However you won't have Toyota.

If you have a good amount of money, the Arteon Shooting Brake is fabulous (Or Audi A4 avant).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭trindade

That's accurate. The 2.2 Skyactiv diesel is one of the worse engine ever made by Mazda. But the car itself is amazing when it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭User1998

Honda Jade is another ultra reliable Japanese estate car. Although I agree that Jap cars will be more reliable I disagree about the DSG needing a lot of care. It needs an oil change every 60k km. That is all.

OP you haven’t mentioned your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 DK1981

Thanks all, just was teasing out the options first. In terms of budget, probably a max of 40K - so most likely in the second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/audi-a6-avant-se-40tdi-204bhp-st-543-p-m/36658208

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gall88

I have just started looking at getting a new estate myself recently. The Octavia and the Peugeot 308 would both come in at less than 40k. The 308 looks good aesthetically but the Octavia seems to have more in terms of extras as standard when looking at the mid range options (Allure and Selection+).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

A second hand Toyota auris could suit you. Big boot, looks, 750/800 km to tank, 1.4litre engine diesel. You can them for sub 15k from dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭scottser

I got a 2016 VW Passat last year, cost 19k. Solid as a rock, great car. All the bells and whistles, 1.4l engine, automatic 7 spd box. 200 tax a year, never goes over 1.7k revs, so really efficient. No wonder culchies and taxi drivers love them. I'll probably die before this yoke does.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 colm reilly

That 1.4 petrol engine very under powered to be pulling a heavy passat est around tho ,with a dsg box that has to be serviced on the button .Risky

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I've got a BMW 320d estate and I love it. The estate room is probably a bit on the small side compared to others - lets say you wouldnt buy it to deliver washing machines - but it has all the room I need, is economical, a joy to drive, has been very reliable and is a very nice looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

Nice choice. I think all estate cars are good looking, definitley better than the sucidal SUVs roaming the street

• Registered Users Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Completely agree what with estates over SUVs. Most SUVs are terrible looking yokes, often terribly underpowered and then there's the actual size of them.

Also agree on the number of good looking estates. I was considering all sorts and most of them felt and looked nice. Volvo v70, Mercedes C, Audi A4, Skoda Superb, Kia Optima, Alfa 159 (look at the new Giulia estate, OMG) hell even Fiat Tipo isn terrible looking. The Beamer just shaded it for me in the end, not being too big and being a great driver also really love the shape. Drive her for 7 years now and would buy again.

Advertisement