Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

I am thinking about passenger experience - if you aint checking in luggage on Vueling or BA its better to go direct to T1 departures otherwise its up and down escalators and corridors ( unless I've missed something and there are magically jetbridges in T2 available) . The passenger experience in my experience is also better in T1 ( now that isnt saying much compared to equivalent airports, but still)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The gates used will depend on the time of day, as it does with EI flights.
    Early morning and later afternoon flights are mostly T2 main pier.
    During busy USCBP hours that pier is converted to US territory for pre-clearance departures.

Yesterday BA flights used gates at the 300 gates, South Gates and T2 main pier.

It seems it will just depend

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

It's a terminal change, for a handful of flights, presumably in order to increase efficiencies/decrease cost by having the same ground handling. It's really nothing worth dwelling on. I'm not sure why you were expecting some massive change or fanfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭LimaRomeo990

EIL is due back from Bordeaux today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Yes, you are correct for us regular BA users, it is a backward step. T1 allowed a swift check in at the desks basically straight in as you entered the terminal, short walk to security, short walk to the "BA gates" 203 / 204. Two stairs boarding / alighting allowing for a fast process. And then a generally shorter taxi as those stands are very central.

Now, it will be guess work as to where you will be going from. The dreaded South gates are already featuring, or a nice tour of the airfield to a remote stand or a much longer walk from check in at the ground level in T2, up two escalators, through security, snake back down around to T1 and to the very busy 300 gates. But yes, it is an improvement somehow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭trellheim

Yep and as someone says with the south gates featuring now , Irelands favourite shortest coach ride you cant even try the T1 shuffle until you know the gate . The dublin airport app is showing 3xx and 4xx gates for the BA LHRs today

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jwm121

What will happen to the gates used by IAG airlines at those times of the day in T1 and how do they have space in T2 for all IAG airlines to move? BA has aircraft stay over night so where would the EI 320s that would usually be parked there go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

EI-XLR, originally the first for Aer Lingus, has now had its engines repainted into Iberia colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

It's a pity but with the cap at DUB, it's not practical - maths don't lie. I was super excited when EI ordered these, as I thought they'd introduce a next generation cabin style/seating with their arrival (owned as opposed to leased). That also wasn't on the cards, albeit I do love the style of the existing LR cabin (vs. 330s - EIK/L brand new cabins, in existing tech/style - missed opportunity to showcase next gen when gutting a cabin and spending millions). Great showcase of management mentality.

So... From a customer perspective, the existing LRs do the job pretty well, and seems like 7/8hrs in an a321 is enough for most.

Interestingly, IB will be able to do with the XLR what EI already do with the LR; across the Atlantic; with MAD/BCN that bit further away on the TATL arc.

Anywho… disappointed, but it is what it is. Poor planning management at DAA and that lazy-style (never lead - just cruise) management at EI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

There was actually lots of talk of a new style cabin coming on the XLR, even a recent article on Iberia’s aircraft suggested that Aer Lingus was going receive a similar facelift.

I seem to remember posts on here highlighting new 4K screens in economy, Bluetooth connectivity and new generation Recaro seats. This was in relation to EI-EIK/EIL but as we know, the bog standard cabin we’re already very family with is what was delivered. This hasn’t gone unnoticed, a few comments on Aer Lingus’ promotional video point out the (by new standards) small screens and basic cabin and that something new should have been done.

As always with Aer Lingus, it’s radio silence from management and the marketing department (what’s left of it) so rumours and hopes get carried around like Chinese whispers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Flying to Orlando this summer with AL. Assuming the strike goes ahead, how far ahead will they declare days on which they’ll take action. Direct flight was a massive draw, but I’m not sure it’s worth the uncertainty?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Astral Nav

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I dismissed such posts about a new cabin on the XLR.
    EI will get a new cabin, but not until early 2026.

EIK/EIL already had to wait on deliveries of the current seats, let alone a new option.

EI NSE taking off out of TLS. Looks to be assigned St Flora

https://www.flickr.com/photos/146519169@N03/53776590245/in/photolist-2pW7VXK-2pW5iRr-2pW4yNn-2pW45Jr-2pW1t3Q-2pVZREE-2pVZRE9-2pVZgWx-2pVXsiy-2pVXSHs-2pVXNRp-2pVWFUU-2pVVBy9-2pVVBcC-2pVVxZk-2pVU9rF-2pVSiGC-2pVRAyq-2pVPPnE-2pVH8LF-2pVNmnq-2pVE63W-2pVJyQR-2pVJwey-2pVL3Na-2pVLDcg-2pVLt5T-2pVAciu-2pVH1CF-2pVEKnR-2pVGmwV-2pVFrkU-2pVBqXZ-2pVBUtB-2pVANk9-2pVANjh-2pVBqQp-2pVzqTF-2pVzqbt-2pVzmWn-2pVyfag-2pVy8Re-2pVyJvf-2pVsmCs-2pVrqiF-2pVx9bj

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭TheBetsy

CVB arrived in ORK from DUB last night making it the 3rd based a/c at ORK. Now x2 320 and x1 32N. Good to see some progress towards rebuilding the base there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭john boye

They really must be running out of Irish saints if they're naming them after margarine.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Astral Nav

I'm still hoping for a St Tibulus.

if Cabin crew are trained on the 321 Neo for example, how often would they need to operate on it to keep current?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 coupons1987

An a321 EI-LRG is gone to Palma this evening! That’s not planned for the summer is it ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,168 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I could be wrong but I think currency expires after 6 months although I’m not sure if it’s the same for varients etc

no it should be a 320. One of the 321 are free Tues/Thurs/Sat so it’s covering. EI NSD is also operating DUB AGP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They’d need to fly it every 6 months to stay current. Both the 320NEO and the 321NEO are on the same rating whereas the CEO is a separate rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,445 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nah man, having used the A321LRs pretty extensively since they switched them to IAD, they are an absolutely tragic ride in anything other than the throne seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭sherology

I was referring to...'the style'... of the cabin (twin grey/lime beading) seat coverings in economy.. biz is the same, albeit an inch less wide - improved on the very latest iteration of the vantage but EI don't have these. The actual ride... Depends on your bum I guess.

Post edited by sherology on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

A321 is better than an ancient 757 which is narrower inside the cabin.

I'd take a A321 over a 777 (3/4/3) or 787 (3/3/3) any day as the seats are wider in Y

is there anything to be announced for Shannon by aer lingus? Silly Q but have seen a rumour on X

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Macrophage 449

what’s the rumor?

• Advertisement

route TBA announced tomorrow. On a W leg from Cork apparently.

Advertisement