Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has boards became a totally one sided site.

Options
  • 08-06-2024 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

I don't know how long it will be until this thread could be closed. But then again could answer the question.

I have noticed for a long time now that posters with certain views where immigration is concerned are having their views and discussions removed without warning, banned from posting while certain other posters are allowed to post whatever they want because they are of a different view.

Another blatant attempt in my opinion in keeping the immigration discussion one sided is that there is only one discussion at the moment on immigration, any attempt to open another is closed down nearly immediately. Very telling as 99.9% of the posters banned from the immigration discussion are of a certain opinion where immigration is the issue.

So what is your opinion.

Post edited by Sephiroth_dude on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

This has been dealt with through loads of threads already

It's not unusual that people who hold intolerant views and express those views in an intolerant way, are falling foul of the rules of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I would say this is definitely not true but certainly the view being taken from boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

So it's only the immigration threads the op has an issue with.

Anti-immigration people tend to be filled with hatred and frankly come across as very uneducated.

Funny, you will find most of them have relations living abroad.

They never grasp the irony in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭prunudo

its a strange place at present. For a site that involves discussion, yet is dying a death compared to its heyday, I've never seen so many long time posters being reprimanded.

So people who have an issue with immigration are hateful and uneducated.

See You can state this opinion but if I was to state the same about some people who are all for mass immigration. Well we know what would happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

The irony of Boards calling itself a discussion site isn't lost on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

This is probably more appropriate for a feedback thread to be honest.

Basically one mod in particular doesn't want discussion around immigration on the site.

He shut down the last immigration thread with a closing rant about an attack on immigrants for people sharing statistics from other countries.

He shut down a thread yesterday where people were discussing a minster before a few of the usuals arrived to drag it off topic and wait for their mod to close it.

The mod has basically banned a large amount of people who he doesn't agree with over several threads, he doesn't want them to have a voice so won't allow any other threads beside the open one.

Where a good poster got banned last night.

The current affairs forum is basically being run by a dictator with strong left wing beliefs who abuses his power to shut down anyone who doesn't align with his views.

You Go into dispute resolution and the fella reviewing your case is a left wing luny who spends his days insulting posters who don't align with his views.

Current affairs is dying a death and rightly so, I read every day as there are some great posters, but they only last so long before they are silenced.

Here we have it now one of the left tactics, brand anyone who disagrees with them as racist and uneducated.

Then random generalisations that you can't have any idea about who has family living abroad.

I suppose you hate the far right spreading misinformation while your here doing the same.

Irony is the right word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

If you don't like it you could set up your own forum and post there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Speaking in general, one could argue that Boards still has some measure of debate compared to other discusson sites such as Reddit. There, running afoul of a moderator by expresssing a wrong comment leads to eviction and unlike Boards, there is no open means to appeal or provide public feedback, as in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Boards users definitely skewed right wing since the shutdown around the vanilla move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

I'm certainly not left.

It's what I see.

Trying to explain to someone who worked under the radar in Australia for 3 years that he was an illegal immigrant there, yet that same person was involved in protests in Naas recently.

The eejit was so thick he couldn't understand the irony of it. Probably explains why he is unemployed in a full employment economy.

Look at anyone arrested for violent actions at protests - most are unemployed. Pure thick.

I just hope that the thread is allowed to stay so public feedback can be taken on board. We will just have to see.

Unless that poster is posting in immigration threads on boards then I have no idea what relevance that has to this thread or my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

If you are looking for feedback, I think you opened it in the wrong forum ...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If you don't want to turn boards.ie into the daily mail comments section, then there has to be strict moderation on these kinds of topics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Deep down, the racist loathes no one more than himself. You couple that with anonymity, loneliness and jealousy and you end up with posters who are simply incapable of contributing to any sort of online debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

What is unusual is that the rules are demonstrably not applied evenly.

Apply the rules evenly and you won't have grounds for complaint, it's that simple.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

The times they are a changin. There is no real debate on this issue because there are so few in favour of mass illegal immigration. Bar a few obsessive left wing types that post the same tired cliches on the immigration thread, the debate there has basically ended with the right wing posters clearly victorious.

I myself was banned when I lost patience with one of the aforementioned lefties but I'm fine with that as the debate is over. It now needs to be confirmed at the ballot box and we need our elected representatives to grow a pair and deliver the policies and national and European level that the vast majority want to see.

The unlimited ATM for every economic migrant in the world needs to be closed and our politicians need to fix the incredible number of issues in Ireland before trying to house the 4-5 billion people who'd like to move here.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Will0483

Posts like this show where the real hatred lies. You should examine your prejudices as name calling anyone who disagrees with your opinions is the mark of an uneducated person. Luckily, you are in the extreme minority so won't have any say in the future of a democratic country like Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,861 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Completely untrue.

Immigration threads turn into an echo chamber that's so toxic to any dissent from the accepted narrative peddled by Gript and other outlets is met with hostility, aggression, and sometimes abuse.

I don't post in them but I do wonder what people get out of pretending to be censored while peddling the same narrative non-stop.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Are people who want the elected officials to resolve the problems in Irish society, before they try and resolve ‘global issues’, now racist ?

So should we feed, home, educate and provide health care for long standing Irish tax payers before we try and do the same for others ?

Or are we asking how can the elected officials find money to provide for non nationals but can’t find money to solve the housing and health care issues that exist for generations of Irish tax payers ?

Do we simply need to look at what private enterprises financially benefit from the provisions to non generational Irish tax payers ?

Am I racist because I want the government of Ireland to resolve the issues of the people that have paid tax for 50 years and for their children before they look to solve other peoples problems ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Of course I will have a say in the democratic process of this country. I am an active member of a centrist political party and vote in every election. Giving out about immigrants on a niche message board is the very definition of slacktivism. Complete waste of time, but the racist is usually a man of below average intelligence, ambition and work ethic.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭susan678

One and done post from me here.

When there is an Islamic terrorist attack the motive and underlying cause of these attacks is not allowed to be discussed.

Like trying to talk about flood damage but not being able to mention water rain or rivers.

That not just here that is everywhere the knife attack in the Dublin back in October was a prime example the riot was the story the attack was totally forgotten and anybody who mentioned it was supporting the riots .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Have you a source for your claim that 60% of the world's population want to move to Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

You say you want to talk about cause and effect, And yet most anti immigration types are also opposed to action on climate change, are pro war, and oppose international development aid or debt relief for developing countries (these are the reasons why people are and will be pushed to emigrate in the first place)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,095 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The main issue I have with CA is the number of posters who are not there to discuss or debate at all.

They are using Boards as a kind of bulletin board for whatever agenda they support.

Continually posting untruths and even when challenged with irrefutable facts making no attempt to correct what they posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Gerrymandering reborn

I think another trend is that we cannot have any discussion that is critical of Islam. Everytime there is an Islamic attack in Europe (Which unfortunatley is becoming more common), you are not allowed to point out the fact that it was not an 'isolated attack' but an attack by a certain section of society who do not agree with western values

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Kingslayer

Just fyi to posters calling people racist on here. Find a new tactic, morons have been throwing 'racist' around as an insult so much that it has become completely diluted and worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Sunjava

Overzealous mods bordering on thought police, they are a bit like VAR, zero tolerance, debate killing... something clearly going awry when the majority of posters in a thread are banned. I guess the HR department will have something to say about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement