Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia-Ukraine War (Threadbanned in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭jmreire

Even back then, without the mass media as we know it, they knew very well the value of Propaganda, and Goebbels was so good at it that to this day, Putin follows it, word for word. Yes, I remember hearing about the orchestra in Terezin.They made propaganda "events" showing Jews enjoying themselves, dancing after work, and on weekends. Then they issued pictures and envelopes to the inmates ordering them to send them to their relatives wherever they were, telling them to come and join them. They caught many with this trick. There's a particularly good article by a man named Mark Ludwig on what went on in Terezin, if you want to google it? The inmates produced masterpieces of music, under the very noses of the Nazis. But unfortunately, Hitler also killed a generation of world class composers and musicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

I had to get down on one knee to fill in the ballot paper in comfort. It was like a bride's train or a snake.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭8mv

TBH, there were so many facists, conspiracy nuts, putinbots, climate change deniers, 'concerned citizens' and terrorist cheerleaders on the ballot that I could only vote to #9…I really couldn't bring myself to give any of these knuckle draggers a preference, even the obvious no-hopers.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭jmreire

Well as the old saying goes, " By their actions ye shall know them!!!" And for sure, even if Putin "win's" in Ukraine (take the definition of win as you will) Putin has dealt Russia a possible fatal blow…and the financial splurge that he is now engaged upon with his war-economy is a last gasp strategy,, war economies spend cash, they do not produce it, and when the piggy bank is empty, that's it, End of Putin's story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Four years in jail for reading anti war poems.

Well I presume they were anti war as the court called it an anti mobilisation event, he was reading poems at. So to put words in rhyme about no war gets you four years in a Russian prison.

Imagine our President Michael D Higgins in Moscow's Triumphal Square waxing lyrical about making ploughshares out of mortars and then the FSB cart him off to prison.

Looks like the man above may have shopped in others for a deal and they still put him in prison.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Imho Russia can't win even if it does. Way back in the thread in response to someone on the Russian side as it were who listed US failures in war, I pointed out they actually won most of the wars they got involved in and pretty quickly. They lost the occupations and that's where they suffered vast majority of their own casualties, never mind local casualties. Russia hasn't passed that first stage yet.

But even if they took everything east of the Dnieper and forced Ukraine into a non NATO/EU alignment pact in the morning, they're screwed. And they're still screwed even if Ukrainian resistance magically never came to pass and the occupation was "peaceful". They would inherit a failed statelet with hundreds of square miles of destroyed empty towns and villages and infrastructure littered with the dead and mines. The de-mining costs alone would be astronomical and lengthy never mind rebuilding all that's been laid waste. Even Potemkin towns made of papier mache, paint and prayer cost money and labour. Money and labour they simply don't have enough of. And they'd have to try to do it under sanctions(that would likely get worse if they "won") and a wartime economy without a war. It's been said that the costs of the Soviet-Afghan war and Chernobyl were two of the biggest factors that led to the fall of the Soviet system, well imho this SMO is in the same league, win or lose.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭zerosquared

Kharkiv offensive now officially an epic failure

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4710848-white-house-russia-advance-ukraine-kharkiv-region-stalled/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ha, I came here to post that very article.

I think it’s a fair view of where we are right now- I think Europe is burying its head in the sand on this- funding Ukraine and supporting it until Russia leaves is really the only game in town - doesn’t matter how difficult this becomes, the alternative is frightening to be honest -

• Advertisement

Very slightly off topic for just a minute, god I delighted in exercising my democratic right last night and relished in placing a number against each of the 20+ candidates.

I don’t care if people placed SF or Ming #1 or #23- the fact that we have the freedom to exercise that right is just so precious - and this thread and this war is a great reminder of that - unless people were out of the country, too sick or had work commitments that prevented them voting, really everyone who could have voted should have - we should never take this right to vote for granted - I believe taking the time to vote reinforces our belief system and makes us more aware of the threats around us, such as Russia, China etc

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭scottser

I stopped after 6. I was surprised at the sheer lack of decent choices and how many utter gobshites were on the ballot paper.

I was going to do that but really for me, it was a lovely way of just wallowing in democracy for a few minutes - and yes, I did relish placing #23 or whatever against my least favourite (of which there were many😀 ) candidate

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Imagine they will have to supply a very decent amount of anti air equipment alongside any deployment. The Russians will absolutely make them a priority target.

Russia will not strike them or they'd expect a punishing response.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

The relevant point is that if you don't think there's enough decent choice, you too can put yourself forward as yet another utter gobshite and no-one's going to throw you out of a window regardless of what you say about Micheál, Leo, Simon, Ursula or even Vlad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭macraignil

Report on the general state of the war in Ukraine from Bloomberg reproduced here:

https://archive.md/HmW4o

Interesting points include that even with a massive advantage in firepower with the delay in weapons from the USA due to the Republican party playing politics, the advances of putin's troops in that time have been marginal and are now mostly contained since better weapons supplies to Ukraine have been resumed. Also they quote an analyst as pointing out one reason putin's forces have little hope of making more territorial gains:

“Russia might have the largest number of soldiers, but a lot of their
    first rate armored vehicles have been destroyed” and it’ll take years to
    rebuild the army to its 2022 level..

Yep (last paragraph there) I’ve been banging on that drum for a while

You can see day after day on videos and daily verified lists, first ever older equipment like older tanks and IFVs and now mostly golf carts and motorcycles

Yes Russians still have superior quantities of artillery but that’s not hard when Ukrainians almost got to zero there.

I suspect however that Ukrainians have settled in for the long term now as despite what was claimed earlier in this thread time is not on Russian side

• Registered Users Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭briany

I've said it before that Russia have shown little to no ability for rapid advancement since the front settled by Summer of 2022. Any gains they've made since then have been slow and grinding and essentially involve pummelling provincial towns until they're smouldering moonscapes with the odd shard of a building still standing. The only way they could achieve the objectives as set out in the initial 2022 invasion would be to attrit the Ukrainian army to a complete collapse, but even if that were to occur, I have to think that every Ukrainian civilian left alive would continue to fight the Russian forces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭macraignil

"Yes Russians still have superior quantities of artillery but that’s not hard when Ukrainians almost got to zero there."

What source do you have for this? The levels of artillery losses in putin's forces have been massive over the course of their invasion of Ukraine and were particularly high on some of the days in recent weeks when they had ramped up offensive actions. I guess by giving away the position of more artillery systems when making more intense attacks they allow the Ukrainians more opportunities to knock them out and while putin may still claim to have huge production capacity for ammunition is there evidence that production of the large caliber artillery pieces required to fire the ammunition is keeping up with the massive losses?

That’s an interesting point, how much is actual shortages and how much is Ukrainians growing smart and realising that only way they get continued support is by painting a dire picture and never ever again overhyping anything

Tho we do still see Russians demolishing whole cities, towns, villages with dumb artillery, so I guess there is that indication

Europe and USA (fat chance) need to learn that it’s not enough to just “prop up the war”- whatever support is needed to push Russia back into its own territory or as close to it as possible is the only way we can move to some sort of truce or peace agreement.

Hopefully France now is planning such support - prolonged war of just throwing equal amounts of ammunition at each other is just not cutting it - Ukraine also have a very tired army and those not yet recruited into it by whatever means, seem to appear very reluctant to do so-

The Taliban minister for education is visiting Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia to figure out how to attract (hostages) foreign students to Afghanistan to kickstart their own domestic war drone manufacturing facilities and industry.

To celebrate the visit Hitler/Putin has organised his propaganda team by bringing out a video clip of workers, hostages, international students dancing to the tune of Someone like Navalny. sorry Someone like Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I’ll always thought Putin was a bad guy and war criminal, but after seeing that video now I’m not so sure 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭threeball

I never realised how cool he was until now. Cooler than a Polar bear eating a Mr freeze.

• Advertisement

Post edited by zerosquared on

Advertisement