Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has boards became a totally one sided site.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

There's plenty of anger amplifying social media algorithms, if that's your jam.

Boards has always been balanced but tolerant. It's never allowed intolerance nor should it ever. If it goes that way then the vast majority will leave and it'll be just a few angry little people in their hate filled echo chamber.

As for shutting down comments on immigration?

I feel quite comfortable, on this site, saying the following without censure.

"While this country desperately needs immigration to fill gaping holes in our society our government's laissez-faire attidute to it has allowed a far right to fester in the cracks.

We need immigration reform where people are not 10 years in the asylum process. It needs to be massively overhauled and decisions made far quicker. Deport the frauds and help the needy

We need a properly funded division for point of entry checks and not this half hearted diversion of Gardaí to check planes.

And still, while saying that, we are in desperate need of immigration. Our healthcare, trades, buulding sector, retail and hospitality, and IT sectors would collapse if we don't encourage immigration.

Immigrants are needed at every tier of our society."

The simple fact is that NONE of this would be an issue if FG and FG had, 14/15 years ago commenced a massive social housing build and capital infrastructure build (even given the laughing stock the children's hospital has become) along with the long called for immigration reform.

It lands solely at their doors for their ineptitude when looking past the next election cycle.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,859 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

No you don't, but you are the person who deals with complaints on the dispute resolution forum and show by your posting that you are completely biased.

I am not sure what point I proved as I never said you were a mod on the forum.

When a Cmod is ganging up and joining in with others abusing posters then it's no surprise that people do it without fear of reprimand In that forum.

Like I said, maybe reflect on your post and have a bit of self awareness about your own style of posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Newstalk at the moment discussing anti-immigration candidates and how they are polling, it’s a cheap description of anyone who thinks we only take in numbers we can cope with

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It's not a cheap description really, many people going for election are running solely on an anti immigration ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 13,961 ✭✭✭✭briany

@Norrie Rugger Head

The simple fact is that NONE of this would be an issue if FG and FG had, 14/15 years ago commenced a massive social housing build and capital infrastructure build (even given the laughing stock the children's hospital has become) along with the long called for immigration reform.

That it hasn't happened, despite it being a clear and present issue for a long time would suggest that there are strong interests against it.

In fairness, I don't think anyone jumps for joy at hearing that the farmland abutting their property, that had provided tranquil views for as far back as they can remember, is about to be zoned for social housing. Not that their wishes should trump the need for social housing, but if you have enough people in a town who feel the same, you'll find they have some pull.

So, absolutely while more social housing does need to be built, it can't be done in a way that turns the county of Dublin and the greater Dublin area into one giant housing estate. Those redbrick cottages in the city centre need to be bulldozed for a start and have proper high rise accommodation placed in their stead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭scottser

So the Mods are all left wing wokerati and boards is funded by soros to push a replacement agenda. LMFAO

Man, there's so much gobshitery around. It's very simple - the anti immigration 'debate' has been hijacked by headbangers and racist arseholes. Ye need to find a way to reclaim the narrative in order to have your views taken seriously. Ireland is full, or ireland for the Irish is a view taken by morons.

We get that housing is an issue. But if you can't find housing it's because housing policy for the past 30 years sees housing as a driver of profit, not as a basic human need. It's got nothing to do with immigration, and rioting in Dublin or burning down hotels for IP applicants is just fukn stupid, yet you're letting those guys control the conversation. That's on you guys to sort out or you'll never be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Why do we need multiple threads for the single topic of immigration? I'm betting the reason new threads are shut down is there is no need for them as there is already a thread on the topic. The same happens when duplicate threads on other topics are opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

And that kind of rhetoric should frighten people because these candidates/parties always need an enemy or an "other" to target.

It's always "who's next?" with them

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Whingers need somewhere to whinge when they are banned from the immigration thread.

It's absolutely no surprise when the OP is one of them, and the right wing mouth pieces here are also banned from that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I was hoping this post was tongue in cheek but unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be so.
    Why are you referencing the populations of India and Nigeria in particular?
    What evidence do you have that the populations of these countries all want to move to Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I would like to engage in conversations with people with differing opinions but I think it's clear to most people that there are just some out and out racists on here, in the old fashioned sense of the word. I think when you see a lack of respect and dignity for people, it turns people off interacting and creates a bad atmosphere which is what those people seem to want. Boards used to be a very very different place with a totally different atmosphere. A lot more trust and things like boards beers. I would have loved to have been posting during that era.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well enjoy.

I will be heading the Cinema myself tomorrow :)

I do not see anything silly about that post I just put up. But yes I forgot to say I think Boards has indeed become very 1 sided. It will be a miracle if it is still around in 6 years time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Maybe, Better advice would be, stay on topic, don't make personal remarks about other posters and maybe, don't draw attention to those posts yourself by reporting them/ the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭pureza

Well thats probably the most inaccurate post I've read in a while

It's been thanked by someone with their 23 other accounts so far,so I suppose that gives it some legitamacy

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fitzy149

Oh it very much will be around in 6 years .. and will be run by the guests of our nation (who have decided to stick around. Forever) ...

They already have quite a representation on the Immigration thread .. you might even say, they've taken it over .. nothing like making yourself right at home.

Our hospitality knows no bounds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Have to admit a certain level of confusion as to why this thread exists. You only have to venture on the refugee thread where you will find the vast majority of posts and "thanks" are geared towards views that are negative towards immigration and asylum policy. Latest theme on there yesterday was asylum seekers diluting the Irish electorate by being allowed to vote in local elections and there was lots of discussion on that. So I'm not sure where the persecution complex is coming from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

I've seen this site mentioned in far right groups and they do coordinate posting on certain topics and thanking each other etc.

Not sure about many but would you describe candidates running on a platform of only taking in numbers we can cope with rather than give them tents as anti-immigration?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭tom23

look who it is. as night follows days. Yes I got a warning for back moderation over replying to your post. But I’m sure you know this. I’m just not adept as you in this ‘process’. i’m also not a re reg either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

You are the only one suggesting anyone is funded by Soros.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

We'll have to take your word for that, the rest of us aren't in any far right groups.

Glazers Out!

°°°°°

So IPA's having voting rights is a good thing?

What's next? Polling cards for tourists? Shouldn't be a problem as we have nowhere for tourists to stay now anyway.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

People getting banned/having posts removed seems to be the OP's main beef. I have no idea to what extent this is really happening though…

For anyone who doesn't frequent the immigration threads regularly — see above for what you get subjected to in terms of having words shoved into your mouth. I say: this is what is being discussed in the thread. They say: OH SO YOU SUPPORT ALL THAT AND ALL THIS OTHER STUFF I'M SIMPLY GOING TO ASSUME YOU SUPPORT.

But yes, it's the poor sceptics of migration who are being persecuted.

°°°°°

Your post suggested you were in favour of IPA's having the right to vote, and that people opposed to that issue were unreasonable. I wasn't shoving words in your mouth but by all means feel aggrieved if you like, or alternatively express your opinion on the topic more clearly.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

So people who have an issue with immigration are hateful and uneducated.

Some definitely are and at the same time they are the ones who creates most of the noise and getting banned, for not following rules on boards, simple. IMO

What I'd suggest you do is actually read my post and consider where I actually suggested I was in favour of it or that posters who weren't in favour of it were unreasonable.

What your responses to me here suggest is that a lot of this sense of persecution felt by a cohort of posters on Boards might come from being a little too reactionary to anyone or anything they perceive to be against their views.

Meanwhile, over on the refugee thread right now, posters are now evoking suspicions that one of the perceived "pro-migration" posters has too many posts that align with the NGOs and this is awfully suspicious apparently. But yes, they are ones being persecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I’d say for one that if you discuss illegal immigration in the refugee post then an off topic warning is given.

Why not a mega thread - “Immigration, Refugees, IPAs, etc” - that way there is one thread for all related issues ?

It does need fair and balanced moderation though.

• Advertisement
    °°°°°

The part when you said this;

"Latest theme on there yesterday was asylum seekers diluting the Irish electorate by being allowed to vote in local elections and there was lots of discussion on that."

You still haven't clarified your stance on that subject any further.

Glazers Out!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement