Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,434 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Asylum seeker tent city now relocated to Leeson Street

I reclon the strategy must be to keep pushing them south until they get them down to Crooksling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Yes, well that should be the case, but as we know they can be here years before any decision is made, and even then they can be given leave to remain, if not given refugee status.

In an ideal world there wouldn't be asylum seekers present long enough to justify then having a vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

No, in an ideal world we’d stop them before they got here.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

tom23 threadbanned

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Jimmychoo9

Quite surprised there is little to no talk about the Ukrainian lad who got kicked to death in co monaghan last weekend by other Ukrainian men, only in the country about a week too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 joeymcg

Perpetrator wasn't Ukrainian wherever you heard that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

One word WRONG. Tell me one more country in world you can do this. Maybe Putin will throw in a vote too. Fly him over to pop in a ballot

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭babyducklings1

Considering we’re dishing out the votes to all and sundry,I suggest we let our Irish secondary school kids vote in local elections once they reach the age of 16. Their community too. Let them have a say in the things they want done in their local area. Probably never happen though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Really?

Many countries allow non citizens to vote in various different elections, there is a post on here listing some of them already by another poster. But here is some light reading for you

Most EU countries allow non citizens to vote in different elections.

Jersey, Malawi, Morocco, Norway, South Korea, Switzerland,

seems a lot of commonwealth countries allow voting rights to citizens of other commonwealth countries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-citizen_suffrage

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

I think the phrase you're looking for is election interference.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Gay

Religious

Ginger

Slipper slope this potential list for asylum seekers from safe countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,040 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Healy Rae gets €50k a month for one property! 😮

Healy Rae’s Rosemount Guest House received €151,320 for first quarter 2024. This is in addition to the €766,650 the guest house has received in the prior five quarters for accommodating Ukrainians.

The overall national bill for accommodating Ukrainians & IPAs for the first three months of 2024 totals €428.34 million – €4.7m per day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's beyond sinister that at least one NGO is, apparently, rounding up IPAs and bringing them to polling stations to "ensure they vote correctly".

"Voting correctly" meaning a vote for yet more NGO funding and influence; yet more of the nation's space and resources surrendered to largely fraudulent IPAs. The contiuation and acceleration of limitless, barely regulated mass immigration

This is the manipulation of voters who are in the country a wet week who likely only heard of Ireland recently, and, in many cases, still could not identify it on a map, tell you what type of state it is (besides a weak and wealthy one) or tell you its basic history. Who have made no contribution to and have no connection or claim to Ireland.

Native Irish communities across the country are now being told that not only are we imposing these people on you against your will, we are also diluting your democratic agency. They will shape your destiny: they will decide who governs you. In time, they will govern you.

It's "only" the locals today, now watch as they push for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭jackboy

It's the duty of every business to increase the number of customers and increase profits. No point blaming the NGOs for doing their job, it's the government policies that should be focused on.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Think you missed the point that the government got the NGOs to sabotage the voting

• Registered Users Posts: 54,275 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

This is one the of most disturbing things I've seen in our politics for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I'm confused by the moderation on this thread as regards anecdotes.

I've followed it it for some time and have noted that while some anecdotes have resulted in immediate threadbans, others have been allowed to stand, apparently without censure, and the posters responsible continue to post freely on the thread.

Are anecdotes allowed or not?

Are only certain anecdotes allowed?

If so, what type of anecdotes are acceptable and what type of anecdotes are unacceptable?

I think clarity is needed as I doubt I'm the only one confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Blind As A Bat

Last year and again recently RTE had a piece about the graduates of a Migrant Leadership course.

"The Migrant Leadership Academy and Migrant Councillor Internship Scheme are aimed at improving representation and developing leadership skills.

They are also designed to enable the participants to become advocates and voices for their communities and to break down barriers.

The participants, who are migrants and refugees, were presented with Certificates of Recognition during a ceremony at EPIC, the museum in Dublin honouring emigrants from Ireland."

I'm totally against this. I see this as divisive, not inclusive. If you're permanently settled in Ireland (though it's not clear if these graduates are), then you become 'one of us', part of our community. You should work for and listen to everybody in that community, not only people of your race, religion or country of origin. If you want to be Irish, then be Irish. Be what you profess to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭Augme

But according to lots of posters on here they don't become 'one of us'. Especially the non-white ones and the Muslims. The posters in here tell us they'll never be Irish and have the same culture. You can't have your cake and eat it. You can't tell immigrants their not Irish and never will be and then tell them they also can't advocate on behave of other immigrants. O

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Repro212

It's manipulation of the electorate, on an industrial scale. Surely a violation of what democracy is supposed to be? Already prioritised for housing, every fake IPA arriving over the border is now being coached to ensure dilution of the native Irish vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

But I thought you want migrants to integrate. To do this, they need positive role models and community members who have successfully integrated to support them.

We do not want to assimilate refugees, we want to integrate them, and doing this will allow us to share the benefits of their culture which will make Ireland a better more diverse place to live.

Or maybe you'd prefer the good old days when all music food and sports were homogeneous, meat and 2 veg, trad and GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Is an NGO really a "business" ? They are supposed to be non-profit, so I would argue not..

But that's all irrelevant to the topic at hand. If posters here are members of the National Party I don't see how that has any relevance either. People are entitled to post whoever they are.

I do understand the meaning of irony, but you clearly don't understand the meaning of obsession.

I think it is better to focus on the politicians that are relentlessly calling large parts of the electorate far right, rather than anonymous posters.

Early yet with the count but it looks like many politicians that openly despise the electorate are going to be elected. That is interesting, hard to explain for sure but could be down to the very poor alternatives available.

"maybe you'd prefer the good old days when all music food and sports were homogeneous, meat and 2 veg, trad and GAA"

That statement demonstrates considerable ignorance of our social history, is disrespectful of our ancestors and is not accurate either. The GAA is a comparatively recent part of our history and actually it has been great at integrating newcomers in a way that makes them part of the community.

They don't if you treat them as 'different' and encourage them to identify as migrants, rather than members of Irish society.

You mean many politicians that despise a very small percentage of the electorate. And they will be elected because a large portion of the electorate despise a small percentage of the electorate becuase of their views. Democracy in action. Love to see it.

They are encouraged to identify as migrants though. It's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. But also, you can be a migrant and a member of Irish society. I don't see why it has to be pitched as one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,611 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The alternative explanation is that the bunch of hard right types on social media, flooding the platforms with thousands of tweets and retweets a day were only ever a relatively small bubble.

Even in the UK (or England specifically) with its right wing media, Reform under Farage are only on 17% at the moment and that is probably the absolute upper ceiling for the hard right.

Still hard to comprehend that it appears the electorate have come out very strongly in favour of FFG. I thought there was an appetite for change but maybe the choice for change just wasn't there.

This could be a green light to continue current asylum seeker policies and actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

• Advertisement

"They are encouraged to identify as migrants though".

Encouraged by whom? I think there has to be a balance. I trained as a Montessori primary teacher and Dr Montessori's approach 'education for peace' was that we should always focus on what we have in common, not on our differences.

I would say that it's good to acknowledge where somebody is from, but making a song and dance over it is not good. When I was teaching in Dublin, (Ballymun, Cabra and south inner city) I always had a fair number of foreign nationals in the class, usually about 20 - 30%. I had a world map at the children's eye level and the foreign kids would sit on the floor in front of it and have fun pointing out to the Irish kids where they came from. It was very good for the Irish kid's Geography :) 'Teacher, look that's where Karim is from, that's Algeria'.

But on St Patrick's Day, I used to feel for those kids because it's a day of celebration of being Irish and Irish culture. I didn't want them to feel left out. So I'd say, 'Today we're celebrating how lucky and happy we are to live in Ireland. Some of us were born here and our families have lived here for a long time, some of us were born in other countries and maybe we've only been here a few months, but we all belong' and the kids would wag their heads and say with that kind of sagacity that children demonstrate, 'yeah, Adil came from Bangladesh, didn't you Adil, but you belong to Ireland now'.

Anyway, that was how I dealt with it - that and teaching them an Irish set dance :)

Advertisement