Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

They only need to cut rates and aim to keep inflation at 2%; there was no significant economic crash which warrants rates to now be cut dramatically so we won’t see many rate cuts.

The markets have priced in interest rates falling to 3.5% by the end of this year and declining to 3% next year. Only time will tell what happens in reality, but one or two rate cuts is not the expectation. Three more cuts are forecast for this year alone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Does the new system allow people to let their PPR for 90 days without planning permission?

Quite a few people in Killarney (an RPZ) let out their primary residence for 90 days during summer and stay with family etc. It's a nice earner for those who do so and provides additional tourist beds (especially now when there are shortages due to some hotels being temporarily closed). Removing people's ability to do so does not add any additional properties to the long term rental market.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Drop in interest rates will just fuel the prices further..Risk of a crash getting slim

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭Villa05

That comes under the heading of a sensible approach. Utility value of the home is maximised

I suspect tracker mortgages will be the only beneficiary of this cut, would need to see a trend for others to benefit

Also 100% mortgages brought the crash closer last time. The more fuel you throw on something, the risk increases substantially

• Advertisement

Been a long wait and watch person

1. 2019 - Market overheated already/asset value increasing/interest rates at peak low. We are in a bubble !
    2. 2020 - COVID hits - Things will crash for sure now. Economies doomed. Money printing will fuel inflation. People will lose jobs.
    3. 2021 - COVID variants strike. Money printing continues. System flooding with liquidity !
    4. 2022 - Inflation starts picking up, slowdown in tech, layoffs starting slowly and steadily, interest rate hikes are here !
    5. 2023 - Russia/Ukraine war, inflation peaks further, interest rates at peak, tech layoffs accelerate. The housing bubble should have burst here. But No !
    6. 2024 - Inflation under control, rates will start to dop, job market still slow, liquidity Colling off.

The most baffling thing is house prices have kept increasing against all this events across the globe. I blame the over increasing population, higher affordability. Throw in lack of builds during COVID. Ireland is a mix of all this plus no supply and booming immigration !

I understand that, my predictions for 2024 are amongst the most bullish in the predictions thread and I tried to convince 3 colleagues that had been evicted to buy 9 months ago as my local market is still affordable.

The big issue is rents and the average mortgage drawdown v the average new build price. Both are well beyond what most can afford and those with power believe that to incentivise new supply they need to continually increase. The eventual outcome is obvious

Looks like a big turnout in the elections today. Outcome will be interesting, some seriously dodgy characters on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Why is it baffling house prices have increased? We've been through a period of relatively high inflation so you expect house prices to rise in line with prices in rest of the economy. Nominal house prices should rise in line with prices in the rest of the economy all things being equal.

When looking at house prices year on year over the period you mention you need to compare real/inflation adjusted house prices year on year to check if real house prices have risen.

In a normal world house prices dont rise with rising interest rates as people cannot afford and demand decreases😉😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,447 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

But people can afford them, are you seeing a lot of houses going unsold?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You're overestimating tech layoffs. Remember that tech went on a massive hiring spree the year previous when stocks spiked and they had a load of extra cash.

Unemployment in Ireland is near historic lows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

@dav010 Exactly. People can afford the extra few hundred a month, it's still cheaper than renting.

The market is restricted by supply, not affordability.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

That seems to be it. Interest rates rose but not by enough to reduce house prices.

People should note that rising interest rates likely did impact prices. House price growth would like be much stronger if rates had not risen. Reality too in Ireland is main Irish banks did not pass on full impact of rate rises.

I also think once it was clear from back end of last year rates had peaked that added lot of confidence to buyers. I went sale agreed May/June last year after a few months of price declines and real concern mortgage rates would go north of 5%. So I was bidding factoring in I did not know where mortgage cost would be by close. It was really unnerving and was keeping lid on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Why? Interest rates rose to combat inflation not end it. So even if inflation reduces by 2/3% but stays positive and house prices track inflation, house prices will still rise just not as quickly as they did. That's assuming there are not other factors at play within the housing market. The Irish housing market has limited supply and the economy at close to full employment.

There is no reason for house prices not to track the wider inflation rate. It also means that focusing on nominal prices can be very deceiving. If wages track inflation, prices can rise but it makes have no impact on their affordability. If wages rises exceed inflation houses/any asset/product/service may become more affordable even if the nominal cost increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭timmyntc

One thing on wage inflation Vs house price inflation is that wage inflation is more pronounced at the upper end of the wage distribution - higher earners are more likely to get inflation beating wage increases and bring up the average. These people are also most likely to already own a house.

So the affordability issue isn't as clear cut - wage inflation doesn't necessarily make it easier for average couple to get on the ladder, as their wages likely have been matching or lagging house prices inflation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Timing belt

property has always been a natural hedge against inflation so why would it not this time around.

Simple fact is if wages keep pace to inflation or even slightly below it then property prices are going to go up. hence why it’s a natural hedge.

The other big consideration on interest rate rises is the transmission mechanism….with so many on fixed rates it slowed transmission mechanism and effectiveness of cooling the economy. If anything it helped reduce supply and made situation worse because nobody will move if they have to give up a low fixed rate…

The IMF issued a good paper on this a few weeks back if you wanted to fully understand the impact of rate rises on property.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭SpoonyMcSpoon

There is also dry powder in the property market to keep it juiced in the form of longer mortgages 40 years plus, potentially reducing the deposit requirement to 5% FTBs/15% STBs and/or increasing the borrowing limit to 4.5-5 times salary. All of these are examples of tweaks that a FF/FG government would happily introduce to keep the voterbase happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

40 year mortgages yes

hard to see 5% deposit for FTB and 4.5 - 5 times salary when ESRI are already flagging their concern with raise from 3.5 to 4 having an impact on house prices to date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

I’d agree this might be the case over the long term but doesn’t seem to have been the case over the last 5 years. IT workers have done well but after that the sectors with biggest pay increases are:

Arts & Entertainment, Accommodation & Food, Construction.

Finance & Real Estate is second last with far lower than average increases. Professional & technical is also below average.

There has also been big increases in minimum wage (30%), far above average.

So this time around it appears the wage inflation has been pretty broad based. Anecdotally I know my own company, and several others of friends, have been offering higher indexation (5-7% PA) to lower grade staff than higher (4-5%). Public service has done similar.

• Advertisement

40 year mortgages questionable as well given the increasing age of FTBers

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Ya I hear about big pay rises but outside of a promotion or moving company, I have never worked in place where it was more than 3% and had plenty years of no increase. Seen no big compensation for inflation. Few small one off supports. But even smaller increases add up over few years and can significantly boost buying power. A first time buyer might be up against second buyer at 40 bringing in the wage and equity from first house. We did that. Our wages alone would not have put us in the house we got and some people we know are mistakingly thinking we are on big bucks but not the case

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭hometruths

Wicklow Co Co are launching affordable houses in which the council takes an equity stake. Looks like a separate scheme to government shared equity. CAn't help thinking these schemes will be riddled with unintended consequences.

The affordable housing scheme at St Ernan’s will consist of 44 homes in total which are available at a reduced price for first-time buyers and Fresh Start applicants, whose combined mortgage and deposit will not cover the market price of a newly built home.

Through the scheme, Wicklow County Council takes a percentage equity stake in the home equal to the difference between the open market value of the property and the reduced price paid by the purchaser.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wicklow/wicklow-district/new-wicklow-affordable-housing-scheme-prices-start-at-165000/a654179469.html

An interesting read from the Journal on what the definition of affordable housing is according to political parties

It would appear that Eoin o Broin has a different model to the one described by his party leader during the week, while to me it appears to be the best model (leasehold on state land, with the property remaining "affordable" when sold on). Some serous communication issues at SF

If affordability can only be achieved by very hefty government subsidies, I'd agree that SF's leasehold on state land is the best model. There was a hell of a backlash to it when first mooted.

I suspect most of the criticism of it is driven by politics rather than logic - if FFG had come up with this as government housing policy I think it would have been welcomed. It's actually a pretty good idea under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It has significant disadvantages for buyers long-term. If the homeowners ever wanted to move to a bigger house they would have a significant funding gap to make up. Who decides what is affordability. If a owner carried out improvements or an extension they probably could not recoup its value.

Personally I prefer the First Home Scheme than the leasehold scheme

Slava Ukrainii

It has significant disadvantages for buyers long-term. If the homeowners ever wanted to move to a bigger house they would have a significant funding gap to make up

Surely the First Home Scheme has exactly the same disadvantage?

If government takes a 30% equity share in your €450k new build purchase, and you subsequently want to trade up, you need to find the guts of €150k (assuming market prices have stayed the same) + service charges to buy out the government before you can even think about trading up.

In both cases there is a significant funding gap.

Post edited by hometruths on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,469 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

With the FHS the owner has the option of buying out the government's equity. You are charge nothing for tge first five years. This is excellent for younger buyers. Generally there wages climb significantly early in there career. This scheme will allow them to buy a house rather than renting and up there mortgage within five years and buy out the government equity. Even if they fail in the first five years the service charge in tge equity is only 1.75% for years 6-15. On 100k that is 1750/ year. You can buy back the equity in tranches of 5% a year. or as a lump sum.

Again take a couple with 100k equity to buy back they could pay back 5k/ year. For many people especially self employed who struggle to satisfy mortgage conditions but have decent earnings it would allow them to buy houses.

As I said it a much preferable scheme than the leasehold scheme which is basically a piece of sh!t

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

And not only that, they can afford them with lending restrictions now in place too.

I know a few couples who were waiting, but now hitting late 30s and seeing that interest rates have stopped rising, and they have got salary increases, so have decided that its now or never. Either you rent forever or you risk buying even if they think there will be a crash.

• Advertisement

This scheme will allow them to buy a house rather than renting and up there mortgage within five years and buy out the government equity.

And the SF scheme will allow them to buy a house rather than renting and not have to up their mortgage to buy out the government equity.

Hard to see why having a big chunk of equity to service or buy out is theoretically preferable.

Advertisement