Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The wheel design lets down the drilled brakes behind them. They don’t allow enough of them on show.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭AUDI20

I actually like the wheels, but it is a personnel taste. on another note has anyone come across this triangle sign along side the speed limit. keeps flashing on the dash and can't find the sign in the manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't think so, this photo was taken when stationary in the driveway, but I like your sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭donjuandejohn

I've noticed a load of different signs beside the speed limit now that I don't turn it off since I loaded the software. They pop up for a second almost randomly. I think it's either when a new speed limit sign is seen by the camera or possibly other roads signs but they don't always match the road sign. I also think it happens when coming up to a junction, maybe linked in to the sat nav but just a guess. They're always so quick to disappear.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I just seem to have this one flashing all the time. can't find no reference to it in the manual and the dealer is checking it out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dpeti73

now we are talking about compensation, but still pain in my ass for 2 weeks already wait for fix the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭dodzy

This was always going to happen. A quick rollout of new cars with no parts, experience or knowledge on the car in question and how to deal with issues that have arisen. I’d say it’s a constant stream of frantic emails from the dealers to the mothership asking questions on how to fix stuff be it mechanical or system based.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Agreed, we're all effectively beta testers.

Not that it's any consolation for OP, but I had similar issues with my first BMW i4, spent 100 days off the road after driving it for only a week. Dealer didn't have any clue how to troubleshoot or fix the issues and were totally at the mercy of emails back and forth to HQ in Germany.

First generation of any car is risky, but even more so with EV.

for anyone interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sealman

Am in Cologne at the moment. Visited the BYD Dealership here. There best seller now is the Seal awd. They had the bigger Han, similar in size to Tesla Model S, in stock as well nice comfortable car but not as sporty as Seal in my view. They are discontinuing that though as only home charges 3.5 kw/hour so was not popular with German buyers. They are launching Seal U EV and Hybrid in 2 weeks time. They think it will selll very well

I'll probably never use it but did anybody manage to get Netflix working after SW downgrade and sideloading app ? Youtube and other apps are working fine.

App appears to download fine but error on starting application: Device failure occurred. Please try again. (500 -1006)

Have sideloaded the APK as well as downloading it from Gbox but identical result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Works for me using the version of the apk shared via Xingers Tech Lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭DEFIE

anyone changed their reg plates from the standard design ? Thinking about making a subtle change (font and black EU flag)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭donjuandejohn

Watched it this morning on the way to work. The junction sign popped up at most junctions but not all and traffic lights popped up for the couple I noticed. Didn't pop up for a roadworks traffic light sign so I think it might be from the sat nav. My old hybrid did that to tell when to lift off the accelerator when approaching a junction or roundabout.

Thanks, yes have been checking it out myself, and its not a fault sign popping up. it works in conjunction with the TRS speed limit sign, if you turn of the traffic recognition feature the triangle signs disappear as well. had them intermittently come on and off today, nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Sat into one the other day, much nicer inside than my Tesla model Y, boot is considerably smaller though

Didn't get a drive in it , how do they handle compared to a Tesla?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

The RWD Seal feels unsettled with undulations and potholes compared to the M3 RWD/AWD or MY AWD, quite a strange feeling. Undoubtedly the build quality is far superior in the Seal compared to a MY or M3. I drove 2 RWD Seals extensively and both times they were rock solid, not a single rattle or creak to be heard. Can't say the same for Teslas, rattles/creaks galore from all MY's I've ever driven, particularly around headliner, dash, and rear seats/boot area. New M3H I drove had a rattle around drivers footwell.

IMO both M3 and MY offer better driving experiences due to one-pedal-driving and feeling less unsettled but sadly are let down by rattles. I like both interiors, I still appreciate the minimalist interior of Teslas.

it's a shame Tesla doesn't put more foam padding in problematic areas, headliner and rear passenger/boot area is particularly bad. With the amount of service tickets logged by owners for those areas you'd think they'd have it fixed from the factory by now.

I did not experience phantom braking when I was driving the Seals. Teslas did phantom brake despite driving in similar conditions, unfortunately it happens due to lack of radar integration for ADAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

I like the Tesla interior just fine and don't especially notice rattles, only have the Y since March 2023 , the BYD Seal did have a classier interior though in my view , more expensive looking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

That post is FUD, based on one owner's bitter experience. Maybe s/he got a lemon.

The Seal thread is filling up with issues now that owners have them a few months. Not very confidence-inspiring.

• Advertisement

Would seem that way. I’ve a 2020 American built M3 outside and a 241 Seal 6 doors down (brothers) and the M3 has no more rattles over the same speed bump riddled roads where I live.

There are some issues popping up on the Seal Owners group but that’s to be expected from a new release car. BYD seem to be suffering from the same issues many other manufacturers did at the start, the service technicians are not fully up to grips with the cars. That will change in time.

Phantom braking is a weird one. I haven’t experienced it once yet in the M3 but have in the 530e. That’s not saying they don’t have the issue, maybe I don’t use the adaptive cruise control features in the cars that much or as much as others.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The Seal thread is filling up with issues?

Note I don't know anyone with a Tesla that hasn't had rattles and **** all over the place. It's accepted part of ownership for some reason. I'd say if I drove yours I'd pick up a rattle or 2 in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I see very few issues with the Seal on this thread, door handles seems to be about it.

I have a rattle in the back of my M3 and it's driving me nuts, can't seem to locate it. It has also developed a creak from the front somewhere, ranger changed a control arm but it's still there. 231 25k.

☀️

I check in and out of all the EV Groups, and the BYD groups seem to have very little issues compared to the likes of the 1D4, ID3, Telsa, Audi and others, have seen very little issues with the seal both here and the UK Group.

Every EV has rattles, IMO. Even the €100k Porsches. It’s the nature of driving without a vibrating combustion chamber up front (or to the rear). You hear things you normally wouldn’t in an ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 steak_and_red

Side query - lost a bit of paint when washing today.
    I swear somebody posted a source for the proper replacement colours a long time ago but struggling to locate the post now.
    Anybody know off the top of their head? Many thanks!

I recommended Vinny Byrne to which someone got sorted I believe.

A few cases reported here now for same issue. Inner arch ends or where bumper meets wing?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 steak_and_red

This spot here. To be fair, I probably got a bit too close with the hose so this one may be on me…

• Advertisement

The hose shouldn’t matter. It’s bad paint quality, nothing less.

Tesla had the same issue and I think they were able to pin point it to a period in 2020. Always the lower cills.

The pressure from a typical power washer should never lift paint and I’m washing cars since my teens!

There’s no harm raisin the issue with BYD. Tesla replaced or painted the cills on many cars because of this. BYD may off the same.

Advertisement