Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC 2023/24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Well, for example, in the context of an aligned season, it would facilitate a better quality product for the league. Which would be conducive to growing the game. Moving it would also allow games to be played in better weather, which makes it a more attractive spectacle to watch and attend. It could also give it scope to expand, which imo it ought to.

It don't think it lose viewers. The current fan base isn't suddenly going to abandon it because of it being on later in the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It has a window with almost no other major sports events and not much else to do full stop at the moment. If you put it at the end of the regular season it is suddenly in the summer - there are competing interests for people's time in terms of both other sports and just other activities. They are blessed with where it is in the calendar, and it won't be moved for a questionable benefit to the URC - given there is no direct overlap of games anymore I don't even see the benefit. You could potentially re-organise the domestic calendar to run domestic leagues followed by Europe rather than mixing them, though the French will never agree to that either.

The league just isn't that important when it comes to decision making about the international game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i dont think the 6N needs to be moved to increase the 'quality' of the product. id argue swapping the direction of the end of season tours - i.e NH sides host in June/July and SH host in November rather than the current way - would be a better change in terms of scheduling. I also personally think NH hosted RWCs need to be earlier to allow for better weather generally for the final

neither of which would affect the URC though

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

There's nothing particularly wrong with the URC calendar. It's delivered plenty of excitement and come down to the wire in each of its 3 seasons so far.

I agree that nothing will happen, WR doesn't have the weight and power to properly organize the sport, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

TThat isn't true and moving games won't affect some of the diehards but makes attracting more neutrals or non rugby fans harder especially if rugby now goes up glagainst so many other events. And not moving 6 nations isn't world rugby being unable to properly organise anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I was literally just thinking the other day, "the URC is really gathering momentum, I really hope that nothing changes for the next few years, and all the little intricacies and sub-narratives can bed in…"

Come on here to a discussion on changing the rugby calendar completely 😂

Please stop changing things, please?

It's absolutely true, otherwise we wouldn't be faced with the nonsense of the World league shite for the internationals, that completely freezes out all of the Tier 2 countries. That coming after the best WC showing by said Tier 2 countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

https://x.com/simonrug/status/1797953587798294891

https://x.com/simonrug/status/1797953590704963985

• Registered Users Posts: 17,140 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I feel for Benneton.

Have a try rules out for offside at the ruck and the Bulls score their own try from the proceeding penalty

• Advertisement

Pffft, Benetton score a go-ahead try only to have it overruled for a penalty against them which Bulls score from.

Not a fan of the over-ruled try. TMO came in to say a Benetton player detached from a maul but the ref was literally a foot away and said it was fine.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭fitz

The guy only partially bound wasn't even the one who block down the kick from what I could tell. Edit: No this isn't right I've checked back. **** me though, that was insanely harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

TMO reffing the game.

Thought he was fully bound and didn't change. Only broke off when ball clearly out of the maul. Harsh.

The ref was right there and screamed he was bound. I don't like the TMO coming back on these kind of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,265 ✭✭✭✭phog

Crowley top man

https://x.com/OptaJonny/status/1799093178156433448?t=6Sg1E9FkQuHnzmxlpljCJw&s=19

Excellent score for Benetton there.

Ah jesus, knocked the ball on from a simple pass that would have been a walk in try. Benetton you're killing me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Shehal

Love that, the Bulls player quite clearly tackles the Benetton player before he gets the ball and Adamson is like "nah, play on".

He really is a disgrace to rugby, not only is he a…you know what (if you follow my posts on Adamson you know what word you can insert here)…but he's also a complete homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Shehal

Even if Benetton lose Ratava has to be in the running for MOTM, been a complete game changer for Benetton today!

• Advertisement

All players please note :

This is a 'Tackling is Optional' game.

Also apparently dropping restarts is obligatory

Benneton had a chance right at the end. Excellent Bulls defence close to their own line stopped a try.

23 handling errors between them.

Bulls will need to up their game & lower their error count.

Adamson adds to his already impressive reputation.

We absolutely should beat that team, but god I feel bad for Benetton.

Benneton had all the possession and territory and I'm pretty sure the Bulls made 100 tackles more as well. But they've an excellent defence up close and battered them right when it mattered.

Leinster and Ulster would fancy their chances, but a slug fest is exactly what the Bulls want. If they drag either side into that there's generally just one winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

This Leinster Ulster game is too important to be broadcast in Irish on TG4.

Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Madeoface

Haha, I thought the exact same. Why couldn't they have shown na hospreys v mumha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,265 ✭✭✭✭phog

There was a season or two when we were all glad to have TG4 covering the Irish provinces playing in the League.

Advertisement