Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non-Irish-Eligible/Qualified quotas for the Irish provinces

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Leinster are bulk supplier to ireland, if they can manage without any NIQ then the rest of the provinces have no reason to request NIQ to cover for international games

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Ah I'd consider Barrett about as surplus to requirements as it comes (albeit you'd be a fool to say no to him).

Snyman isn't surplus per se, but I would argue we didn't need someone of his quality given our starting locks, but if someone of his quality is available then you absolutely go for it. We absolutely needed a body there though.

As regards the prop, I do think we need to bring someone in but I would hope they play less than Ala'alatoa did.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The other provinces aren’t requesting NIQ’s to cover international duty.

They’re doing it to bolster squad quality. There should always be scope for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Surplus to requirements meaning not needed to start in the playoffs, and not needed in the pools or league matches to get into the playoffs.

Signing world class players to use for impact off the bench could be viewed as surplus to requirement, but the counter argument is their playing time will be managed and if injury occurs then they’ll slot in, and they might make an impact off the bench to win an important playoff match.

I see both sides of the argument and in Leinster’s case the argument for signing is better than it would be in other provinces as they have so many Irish players needing their time to be managed and also they are consistently performing at a high level and drawing in big support, as well as falling short a few times in the playoffs so a little nudge of quality might make a real difference.

I could understand the argument that there would be IQ options to fill that role, for example Gavin Thornbury could do a job as an impact sub, or swap Baird into lock when needed.

The more I think about it replacing Ala’Alatoa should be done with an IQ player, like Ulster did last year with the likes of Greg McGrath, Ben Griffin and James French, and that’s on top of McCarthy and Healy able to cover both sides.

All in all I think Leinster deserve their two signings next season, one forward and one back, and I wouldn’t begrudge that each year at all of the provinces.

• You’re saying not needed to start based on an assumption that literally nobody gets injured. As I said, if Snyman isn’t there the next guy up is Brian Deeny. It’s hard to call Snyman surplus to requirements in that scenario.

Jordie Barrett is going to start too, I’m not certain in what position but there’s no way he’s sitting on the bench.

Ulster signed guys like Greg McGrath, James French and Ben Griffin and each one was an unmitigated disaster, and patently not capable at even a URC level. At least two were released mid-season and I’d say French’s days are numbered too.

If Leinster have the funds to sign better quality players and can attract them to the club then it absolutely makes sense to sign the best player you can get.

Jordie Barrett is going to start too, I’m not certain in what position but there’s no way he’s sitting on the bench.

If he starts anywhere but 14 though, he is going to be pushing out a player that we probably shouldn't be pushing out.

• Not necessarily. For guys like Jamie Osborne, he sees exactly what the standard is and where he needs to be. He’s still very very young, and he’ll have to push himself even harder now to start those big games next year.

Sure, but Osborne is only there cause of injury as things stand anyway. If any of Henshaw, Ringrose or Keenan end up benching for him it's a mistake (particularly in Keenan's case as I would argue he's just better).

I think having someone of Osborne's calibre as the "injury backup" is a wonderful position to be in. Would argue the same for JOB at 15. This is why I would argue Barrett really is a luxury signing, albeit again I super wouldn't turn him down. I think if he starts most likely it is going to be at 14 as something of a roving winger.

The premise of the thread is more NIQ, now you are saying Leinster shouldn't play a NIQ because it will push out a qualified irish player?

So I guess you agree that more NIQ is not the answer then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

The thread is a discussion thread for how NIQ and NIE players are allowed and allocated to the provinces. Some posters have argued for increasing the number, some have argued to reduce it.

The “argument” to increase it doesn’t really seem to be many

It’s more down to a few wanting the provinces to have no oversight from the IRFU which will never happen because of multiple reasons

So after x number of posts the conclusion seems to be 3 per province, which is already the number, with oversight from the IrFU, which is already the model 👍

Advertisement