Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,428 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…the people have spoken, they dont want change, everything is just fine the way it is, housing, health care, all grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Mary Lou McDonald is turning into a real electoral asset. For Fianna Fail.

She needs to start checking under her car every morning, in a political metaphorical sense of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭touts

Even before the tallies were over Sinn Fein TD Martin Browne told RTE that the party got the strategy wrong. I'd say the Sinn Fein parliamentary party meeting will be a frosty place next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭pureza

I'm not interested in alternative facts which is what you presented

No need for me to repeat the obvious and clear reason anyone can see for me not being interested ,that you've ignored,once is enough,I'll count the number of times you repeat the nonsense though if you like?

As for MM,his party seems to be doing a lot better than polls suggested which is reasonable justification is it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So you agree that recent GE polling is wrong as he claimed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

no SF videos invading my profile today thank God!

Hopefully they get the message and stop sending unwanted propaganda of Mary Loo power walking around a random beach to people - if anything it made me even more adamant NOT to vote for them.

Running too many candidates hurt them without a doubt. If they do finish a per cent or two up n Dublin they'll take the lesson and move on imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They could probably do with a new leader. But there's no contender.

Somebody else must be using your computer or phone. You know how internet advertising work, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Shouty Doherty of Author O'Broin ... 2 woefully inept politicians who will send further votes to FG and FF. Bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭DataDude

Record employment levels, unbelievable job opportunities, one of the strongest economies in the world with surpluses coming out of our eyeballs. From a country on its knees 10 years ago.

One of the healthiest, longest life expectancies countries in the EU. Housing completions increasing year over year, now building more houses per capita than almost any country in Europe.

But yeah, let’s blow it all up for some vague promise of ‘change’…thankfully sense seems to have prevailed.

Good Lord yer man Cullinan all but threw Mary Loo under the bus few mins ago on the radio.

Stressing success in his home patch and very slow to address national performance.

When prompted, he gave a Very weak endorsement - paraphrasing but it was something like “we had a great turnout in 2020, MLMCD can point to that regardless”.

Is the Waterford Whippet on manoeuvres?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

She's only showing again what she is -a rhetorical windbag and a clueless fraud - ( first among equals in the SF ranks)

Would Northern Command “allow” a challenge to MLMCD if this slide continues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

I hear Matt Carthy has the ear of the Elders in Armagh and Belfast.

A caveat for those losing the run of themselves and thinking the race is run.

2019 - FF and FG in a C&S government finished the LE's ahead of where they are projected to finish this time with SF nowhere. By the GE in 2020 that picture changed dramatically

I don't think SF will be folding tents just yet.

Could you perhaps debate the point made? Less of the hysterics?

How am I supposed to any further when You blatatly ignore the obvious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So this looks like three elections in a row that SF as a party have gotten the balance on candidates wrong. In 2019 they had an awful day and in 2020 they ran less candidates, and they increased the number of TD’s but given they hadn’t run enough candidates, they left seats behind them. It’s early days in this local election but there’s been poor enough tally numbers in several constituencies. I saw one tally where four candidates had about 20%. That’s poor enough vote management.

I do think that SF and its lack of a coherent line on immigration has hurt them. Around last Christmas, Mary Lou McDonald, Pearse Doherty, and Eoin O’ Broin gave answers to the immigration question and lads you could drive a bus through the gaps between the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well the vote is coming in, so it seems like the namesake I Ran Away, you are running away from the more pointed questions about the future of SF.

They are hoping lightning strikes twice.

SF still thinks its 2020, but I look out the window this fine day and see its 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

😂

It's almost as if all the waffle you have spouted for years is, well waffle 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Doherty is a disaster, bar the online army everyone can see he is totally incompetent,

Author O'Broin, of the book that nobody has read, is only able to speak when hiding behind Mary Lou, take away Mary Lou and it's another incompetent disaster

To be fair,O'Doherty does as good a humility face as he does a shouty face as seen on RTE news tonight

I am still convinced Sinn Féin will do much better than this in a GE,they will respond and adapt to the wake up call

If a GE was held alongside the Euros's in 2019,they'd have lost seats,just as they'd have won councils if local elections were run alongside the Feb 2020 Dáil one

All SF need to do now is not panick,nuance the message and be a bit braver on the harder calls vs what they'd traditionally do

Someone in Belfast thought Mary Lou in a hijab was a complimentary extension of their affinity with palestine

Ditto on having a softer touch on immigration from muslim/African countries

They need to listen on that and be more practical to head off the leakage of support,the annoyance of tgeir core,most best seen in the Dublin central LEA's

Perhaps but its 2024 now, and SF keep haarking back to that moment, that caught everyone by surpirse.

It seems people have gotten tired of SF, given their recent electoral and poll troubles.

If a GE was held alongside the Euros's in 2019,they'd have lost seats,just as they'd have won councils if local elections were run alongside the Feb 2020 Dáil one

That is a fair point, but dont you think that FF and FG wont have learned lessons from the 2020 GE? Simon Haris reminds me of Bertie, he seems to have a keen sense of politics and strategy.

I think an early GE is all but assured now. Go to the polls late October, after a giveaway budget, while the mood is still relatively good. FF and FG can be returned along with some Independants and another party, not SF. SF can continue to talk to the moon.

Remember, the chat about 12-18 months ago was SF storming to 60+ TD's with FF as the junior partner. It is a very different situation now.

Business Post puts it into perspective I think. Take all the gloating and assuming the GE is won out of it and this is an election where SF ‘stumbled’ and the Government didn’t take the hit expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Doherty is the obvious choice, but is not the answer. He’s just Mary Lou with a Donegal accent. Negative, shouty, lacking in detail, surly when probed by the likes of Pat Kenny and Rachel English.

My dark horse would be the lesser spotted Pa Daly from Kerry. Intelligent, good grasp of detail, doesn’t resort to shouting. Your man Darren from Meath is more favourably located geographically and also seems to be a smart chap. Slim pickings enough though.

Advertisement